Blue Jays Discussion: Off-Season Pt VIII: Spring approaches and less (fewer) things are happening

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
Home Away From Home: Sportsnet Announces Blue Jays 2021 Spring Training Broadcast Schedule | Sportsnet Media Centre

2021 Blue Jays Spring Training on Sportsnet Broadcast Schedule
  • Sunday, Feb. 28 at 1 p.m. ET / 10 a.m. PT – Toronto @ NY Yankees (Watch on Sportsnet)
  • Friday, Mar. 12 at 1 p.m. ET / 10 a.m. PT – Toronto @ Pittsburgh – (Watch on Sportsnet)
  • Monday, Mar. 15 at 1 p.m. ET / 10 a.m. PT – Toronto @ Detroit – (Watch on Sportsnet)
  • Saturday, Mar. 20 at 1 p.m. ET / 10 a.m. PT – Toronto @ Philadelphia – (Watch on Sportsnet)
  • Sunday, Mar. 21 at 1 p.m. ET / 10 a.m. PT – NY Yankees @ Toronto (Watch on Sportsnet; Listen on Sportsnet Radio Network)
  • Monday, Mar. 22 at 6:30 p.m. ET / 3:30 p.m. PT – Detroit @ Toronto (Watch on Sportsnet; Listen on Sportsnet Radio Network)
  • Wednesday, Mar. 24 at 1 p.m. ET / 10 a.m. PT – Toronto @ NY Yankees – (Watch on Sportsnet)
  • Saturday, Mar. 27 at 1 p.m. ET / 10 a.m. PT – Toronto @ NY Yankees – (Watch on Sportsnet)
  • Sunday, Mar. 28 at 1 p.m. ET / 10 a.m. PT – Detroit @ Toronto (Watch on Sportsnet; Listen on Sportsnet Radio Network)
  • Monday, Mar. 29 at 1 p.m. ET / 10 a.m. PT – Toronto @ Philadelphia – (Watch on Sportsnet)

Regular seson games will be simulcast on radio and TV:
In an effort to minimize travel and closely adhere to team, league, and government protocols related to the pandemic, Sportsnet will be streamlining production for the 2021 season by simulcasting TV broadcasts on Sportsnet 590 The FAN and across the Sportsnet Radio Network. Blue Jays fans can now enjoy the legendary voices of Buck Martinez, Dan Shulman, and Pat Tabler on both TV and radio. Ben Wagner remains part of the Blue Jays on Sportsnet broadcast team, joining Jamie Campbell, Joe Siddall, Hazel Mae, and Arash Madani in covering all the bases throughout the season.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017

Its horrible that they cannot show all spring training games. The Jays do want their fans to remain interested and up to speed with their team do they not? Putting on Poker shows or Strong man competitions during the day with repeats of previous night major leagues sports games doesnt do a damn thing for fans.

You would think because of the pandemic and not being able to play in Toronto, the Ontario sports network would do everything in their power to ensure Blue Jay fans are engaged and not lost. This is very poor marketing by the Blue Jays and Rogers corporation.

Bad on them.

The Nic

Jul 26, 2009
Ya I prefer Tellez at 1B too. And the lefty bat. Put Vladdy at DH.

3B Biggio
CF Springer
SS Bichette
RF Hernandez
DH Guerrero
2B Semien
1B Tellez
LF Gurriel
C Jansen

bench: Grichuk, Kirk, Espinal, Panik
Grichuk makes far too much money to be a bench player... plus he is a much better defensive player than Hernandez.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Grichuk makes far too much money to be a bench player... plus he is a much better defensive player than Hernandez.

They shouldn't make decisions on who starts based on how much money guys make, though. I don't think we'll ever really see a "regular" lineup, either... the flexibility on the roster should have guys shuffling around and in and out of the lineup regularly.

Reactions: Kurtz

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
They shouldn't make decisions on who starts based on how much money guys make, though. I don't think we'll ever really see a "regular" lineup, either... the flexibility on the roster should have guys shuffling around and in and out of the lineup regularly.

If the Jays are looking for the best defensive and offensive lineup for opening day it should be:

1. Springer - CF
2. Bichette - SS
3. Vladdy - 1B
4. Hernandez - DH
5. Gurriel - LF
6. Semien - 2B
7. Grichuk - RF
8. Jansen - C
9. Biggio - 3B

Your not putting Grichuk in the lineup because of what he makes, but your putting him in their because it makes their overall defense better without losing anything on the offensive side. I know some will say it should be Hernandez in RF and Tellez as DH. Or Tellez at 1B, Vladdy at DH and Hernandez in RF. But that isnt fielding your best team.

I will say it again before being bashed. The best place to bat Biggio in our lineup is in the 9 spot. It turns the lineup over, something we havent had in a very long time. Biggio at 9 and Springer at 1 is like having 2 lead-off hitters, and it provides Springer more opportunity to hit with runners on base more often.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

Sunk cost fallacy. Tellez in the lineup and Grichuk on the bench costs the same amount as Grichuk in the lineup and Tellez on the bench. You go with the better option, the money is already spent.

Plus I expect a fair bit of rotation into an out of the DH spot where Grichuk will probably get about 100 games from the 4th outfielder spot anyway when he gets into the outfield to give the 3 outfielders either full days off or days off from the field when they DH.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017

Let me ask you, if you have always played a position your entire career and move for the first time to another. Would you feel or look all that comfortable?

Repetitions make you better. Pair that will him being 40+ pounds lighter this would make him more flexible would it not?

If Vladdy was able to make solid plays at 3rd 8 out of 10 times. At the physical condition he was prior to this spring. What makes you think that once he is comfortable at 1B he wont be able to better there?

Have you ever played 3rd base? It isnt an easy position to play, some would say its the most difficult position to play on the diamond. The ball comes quicker, the throws are longer, and flexibility and mobility is key to being successful there. For someone that weighed 285 pounds he did pretty good there considering his limitations!!!

He will be perfectly fine at 1B. You and most others will be very surprised how well he will do.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Fun Fact: George Springer has never played more than 84 MLB games in CF in any given season.

He has also only played over 100 games in CF once in his minor league career.

Whether it is Grichuk or not, our 4th OF is going to get a lot of games in CF.

I suspect management is aware of that and that is why Grichuk is still on the team. If he is moved we will need an OF that can play CF to give Springer a break.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Fun Fact: George Springer has never played more than 84 MLB games in CF in any given season.

He has also only played over 100 games in CF once in his minor league career.

Whether it is Grichuk or not, our 4th OF is going to get a lot of games in CF.

I suspect management is aware of that and that is why Grichuk is still on the team. If he is moved we will need an OF that can play CF to give Springer a break.

Long term I'm still hoping they develop Austin Martin at CF with the expectation Springer will be playing much more in RF by age 33-34

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

This is great. Good way to save money. Why have 2 separate staffs to produce the same product when you can pay one TV staff lead by Buck and Dan and broadcast that on the radio?

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Long term I'm still hoping they develop Austin Martin at CF with the expectation Springer will be playing much more in RF by age 33-34

I think, and hope that is the plan. Ideally Springer gives you at least 3-4 years of average to above average defense in CF. When the defense tails off you move him to RF and Martin is ready. If not Martin then keep an eye on Dasan Brown, if he develops then he will be a legit CF prospect in 3-4 at the latest.

Martin should be MLB ready well before Springer's defense tails off. Perhaps they do what Houston did with Springer and Marisnick when it came to playing CF.

Reactions: Puckstuff

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

This is great. Good way to save money. Why have 2 separate staffs to produce the same product when you can pay one TV staff lead by Buck and Dan and broadcast that on the radio?

I guess it's great if you're a fan of Rogers saving money, but probably way less great if you actually listen to the radio broadcast.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Let me ask you, if you have always played a position your entire career and move for the first time to another. Would you feel or look all that comfortable?

Repetitions make you better. Pair that will him being 40+ pounds lighter this would make him more flexible would it not?

If Vladdy was able to make solid plays at 3rd 8 out of 10 times. At the physical condition he was prior to this spring. What makes you think that once he is comfortable at 1B he wont be able to better there?

Have you ever played 3rd base? It isnt an easy position to play, some would say its the most difficult position to play on the diamond. The ball comes quicker, the throws are longer, and flexibility and mobility is key to being successful there. For someone that weighed 285 pounds he did pretty good there considering his limitations!!!

He will be perfectly fine at 1B. You and most others will be very surprised how well he will do.
1B is not difficult and I’ve watched ball for 40 years and every team asks guys to fill in at 1b late in games and I’ve never seen guys make obvious brain farts like Vladdy has. It’s not hard. He will never be an average fielder and that’s fine. It’s his bat we need. But to even suggest a possible gold glove at first is absolutely hilarious.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

I would assume commentating a game for the radio is much different than for TV. When you're on the radio nobody can see what is happening, you have to be the eyes for the listeners. I can't imagine radio listeners are going have much fun listening to Buck go off on a tangent about something not even related to baseball let alone the game in progress. Then they'll suddenly hear "GET UP BALL" and the left fielder will casually take 20 steps towards the infield to catch the pop up.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I would assume commentating a game for the radio is much different than for TV. When you're on the radio nobody can see what is happening, you have to be the eyes for the listeners. I can't imagine radio listeners are going have much fun listening to Buck go off on a tangent about something not even related to baseball let alone the game in progress. Then they'll suddenly hear "GET UP BALL" and the left fielder will casually take 20 steps towards the infield to catch the pop up.

Exactly. Announcing for radio and TV are completely different. This will absolutely take away from the experience of listening to the Jays on the radio.

Reactions: Joel Ward

thehockeysong

Nov 1, 2009
1B is not difficult and I’ve watched ball for 40 years and every team asks guys to fill in at 1b late in games and I’ve never seen guys make obvious brain farts like Vladdy has. It’s not hard. He will never be an average fielder and that’s fine. It’s his bat we need. But to even suggest a possible gold glove at first is absolutely hilarious.

He'll never be an average first baseman is a big hot take to say the least. An out of shape extremely young player that's never played the positon making mistakes in an extremely short time frame isn't exactly conclusive evidence.

If you've watched 40 years of baseball and haven't seen players make mistakes when filling in at first then perhaps you're not watching a ton of it each year? It's not exactly rare.

Ultimately Vlad is more athletic than the average first baseman. If his weight is in check then there's no reason to think he can't be an excellent fielder.

Reactions: Discoverer

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006

So did they just re-distribute Wagner to the TV side since they are keeping him on? I like him. He and Siddall should be groomed as eventual successors down the line, or at least given a bigger role.

I take it Buck and Tabler's contracts were quietly extended. I thought their 5-year deals expired after 2019 or 2020. Not that it bothers me -- I've actually generally liked them as a tandem over the years.

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
An ESPN writer Bradford Doolittle. Whoever he is has the Jays with around 84 wins. His big concern is “The other weakness is what to me shapes up as perhaps baseball's worst defense. The good news is that defense is hard to project and my forecast of Toronto's plight in that area is not consensus”

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015

playing first base in the majors isn’t hard eh ... :laugh: this place never disappoints

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig