Blue Jays Discussion: Off-Season Pt VIII: Spring approaches and less (fewer) things are happening

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
The man is 90% ass, he won't get much lighter. Let the caboose free.
I wouldn’t go that far his potential is still off the chart but he’s coming up to 1000 ab’s pretty quick so he has to figure it out pretty fast

I wouldn’t be against trading him for an ace with control like Castillo or a top tier pitcher. I think Castillo will end up with a way higher WAR over the next 3 years but I know I’m in the minority on this one

Reactions: trellaine201

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I wouldn’t go that far his potential is still off the chart but he’s coming up to 1000 ab’s pretty quick so he has to figure it out pretty fast

I wouldn’t be against trading him for an ace with control like Castillo or a top tier pitcher. I think Castillo will end up with a way higher WAR over the next 3 years but I know I’m in the minority on this one
He is 22 years old lol

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Steamer projects .296avg, 27hrs, 92rbis with a .876 ops for Vladdy

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON

Wait, did you think I meant trade him? I literally just wanted to post to admire this man's lower body strength (and girth).

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Fun Facts: on Fangraphs top prospect list, six of the Top 10, twelve of the Top 20, and 70 of 133 overall are older than Vlad. Three of the Top 10 are more than two years older. He's a week older than Austin Martin.

So if I understand you correctly, you're saying that Austin Martin is a bust since he's not already an established big leaguer. and since Vlad is a bust because he's not an MVP already, then that means that Martin is a different, SUPER bust. More of a bust than Deck McGuire.

I understand. Thank you for your service.

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
For the record, being obese and near 300 pounds and losing 40 pounds in 5 months when you’re a pro athlete with all that they get / money they have... that’s not impressive at all lmao. Normal ppl on a regular diet who weigh near 300 could lose more than 8 pounds in a month. That’s 2 pounds a week. Brutal. Add in the fact that being 280 you can drop damn near 10 pounds in the first few weeks just because if you’re that overweight you’re probably not even in the gym to begin with and shocking the system. Then ppl saying he had wide hips so he can’t lose weight :laugh:

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
For the record, being obese and near 300 pounds and losing 40 pounds in 5 months when you’re a pro athlete with all that they get / money they have... that’s not impressive at all lmao. Normal ppl on a regular diet who weigh near 300 could lose more than 8 pounds in a month. That’s 2 pounds a week. Brutal. Add in the fact that being 280 you can drop damn near 10 pounds in the first few weeks just because if you’re that overweight you’re probably not even in the gym to begin with and shocking the system. Then ppl saying he had wide hips so he can’t lose weight :laugh:

You are right partially. The question would be how much weight loss was offset by putting on muscle. And in reality that’s the bigger question - muscle to fat ratio as opposed to an absolute weight

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

But... no one said that.

Last edited:

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa

To maintain near 300 pound body weight (obesity) requires normal caloric intake and no fat burning exercise whatsoever.

Losing 40 pounds in 5 months isn't nothing. There were dietary changes and some hard fat-burning work going on.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Fun Facts: on Fangraphs top prospect list, six of the Top 10, twelve of the Top 20, and 70 of 133 overall are older than Vlad. Three of the Top 10 are more than two years older. He's a week older than Austin Martin.
The Austin Martin part really puts things into perspective

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

This looks pretty cool at first, and obviously you wouldn't be able to do this with everyone for all 4 stats, but if you check the 50 point range around players career averages in each stat I suspect you'll be able to find a few players that would could match all 4 in. Essentially Trout's career average is .304. If you look at his last x number of games from about 280 to 330 you'll likely find one an average that matches the number of games. There's enough game to game variance. In Trout's case, .299 in the last 299 games worked

edit: I don't have the proper access to do this the quick way but doing a brute force of Springer's average and OBP to find a match for each I suspect you'd literally be able to do this for every player in the league as long as they've been in the league long enough to reach enough games to match their OPS range.

Last edited:

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
The Blue Jays have the best minor league and spring training facility(s) then anyone in baseball. They are definitely doing things right. Giving their players every opportunity to be better only helps their efforts of building a sustainable winner.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Baseball's 25 best players under 25'
6. Mayo: Vladimir Guerrero Jr., 1B/3B, Blue Jays (2021 age: 22)
Guerrero Jr. is the first prospect we ever gave an 80 hit grade to, and while it’s true he hasn’t lived up to that billing just yet, he’s still been a positive contributor (2.1 bWAR) over the past two seasons. There might be a bit more pressure on his bat if he’s now a full-time first baseman, but I still have absolute faith Guerrero Jr. will more than produce enough for any position on the field. And he’ll play all of the upcoming season at age 22.

24. Petriello: Bo Bichette, SS, Blue Jays (2021 age: 23)
I thought about dipping into the prospect lists to gamble on some high upside; there are almost certainly players that will go undrafted who will have better big league careers than Bichette. Then again, those players might not amount to anything, either, and Bichette has proven he can hit Major League pitching in parts of two seasons (137 OPS+ in 340 plate appearances). His hard-hit rate has been above average each season, and I think he’ll be a decent-if-unspectacular defender at the six. I worry that he seems unable to take a walk, but at this point in the draft, I’m putting some stock into the fact we’ve already seen him succeed, and he’s only turning 23 in March.

Pearson and Martin could be here too.

Last edited:

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Losing 40 pounds in 5 months isn't nothing. There were dietary changes and some hard fat-burning work going on.

I did it myself and I weighed less than him from the start (235). But I’m not an athlete that also required to keep my strength up too. It also wasn’t sustainable if I wanted any type of life :laugh:

Reactions: Marshy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad