Blue Jays Discussion: Off-Season Pt IV | Ah the waiting game sucks, let's play Hungry Hungry Hippos

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
If this is true the Jays missed the boat big time on this and arent as willing to spend as they insist they are. Sorry but they should have offered 4yrs at 90 million as their best offer. They definitely would have had him signed on the dotted line.

This now makes complete sense as to why they are second to everyone in signing FA. They are unwilling to pay the extra dollars necessary to secure a player to come north of the border.

This is why Springer isnt signed. They are low balling him as well. Im disappointed that they didnt offer more. I would have been more happy if we offered more but he stayed with Yankees.

Total horse crap.
This is a weird take to have based on that information lol you think we should be paying him over 4 years what he signed to the Yankees for 6? Really?

thehockeysong

Nov 1, 2009
Didn't Atkins say something like "they wouldn't set the market" which is essentially corporate speak for seeing who's the last 'big name' left once the teams with money to spend are done and signing them for as cheap as possible.

Sounds like they've been in on everyone, but consistently offering 10-20% less than what the players got or are negotiating with other teams for.

Where are you reading this

thehockeysong

Nov 1, 2009
If this is true the Jays missed the boat big time on this and arent as willing to spend as they insist they are. Sorry but they should have offered 4yrs at 90 million as their best offer. They definitely would have had him signed on the dotted line.

This now makes complete sense as to why they are second to everyone in signing FA. They are unwilling to pay the extra dollars necessary to secure a player to come north of the border.

This is why Springer isnt signed. They are low balling him as well. Im disappointed that they didnt offer more. I would have been more happy if we offered more but he stayed with Yankees.

Total horse crap.

Perhaps, but then you're also paying 50% more than the reported Dodgers offer. He wanted to go to the Yankees, so the premium on him was always going to be massive.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
This is a weird take to have based on that information lol you think we should be paying him over 4 years what he signed to the Yankees for 6? Really?

Yes if it means they are serious about winning. Im sorry but all we have been hearing is that the Jays have the money to spend and we need reinforcements to do that. The cost of overtaking the Yankees in our division this year and next should be well worth it when you consider others in division like Red Sox and Tampa Bay have taken steps back.

If they are serious about winning then they have to overpay to put them over the hump. Arent you tired of hearing we finished second in Lindor sweepstakes, second to Hendriks and now second to LeMahieu??? Add the extra dollars or prospects to all of these and we are the San Diego of the AL. A true contender vying for a championship next season.

This bullcrap of not wanting to set the market is exactly that. The Jays are not willing to spend in a market they themselves own. They have to set the market in Canada cause it is different then the US and all other teams in MLB. The sooner they and Rogers understand that, the sooner they will realize what it takes to build a championship team.

Why was it in the early 90's players came here. Cause we overpaid for them and they came. We set the market cause we had to. And we championships to prove it. We had the highest salary in MLB. But today we refuse to do that!!! We wont see another championship until we do it again.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I'm surprised they would take a chance like that after it backfired last year and they accidentally signed an elite SP.

they paid more for that SP than they offered DJ.

and hey look, shapiro is YUGE in korea!

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Yes if it means they are serious about winning. Im sorry but all we have been hearing is that the Jays have the money to spend and we need reinforcements to do that. The cost of overtaking the Yankees in our division this year and next should be well worth it when you consider others in division like Red Sox and Tampa Bay have taken steps back.

If they are serious about winning then they have to overpay to put them over the hump. Arent you tired of hearing we finished second in Lindor sweepstakes, second to Hendriks and now second to LeMahieu??? Add the extra dollars or prospects to all of these and we are the San Diego of the AL. A true contender vying for a championship next season.

This bullcrap of not wanting to set the market is exactly that. The Jays are not willing to spend in a market they themselves own. They have to set the market in Canada cause it is different then the US and all other teams in MLB. The sooner they and Rogers understand that, the sooner they will realize what it takes to build a championship team.

Why was it in the early 90's players came here. Cause we overpaid for them and they came. We set the market cause we had to. And we championships to prove it. We had the highest salary in MLB. But today we refuse to do that!!! We wont see another championship until we do it again.
Yeah I guess I am just not getting myself worked up over DJ. My preferred outcomes for him was 1) Signing him to a not bloated FA contract 2) Him leaving the division. The third outcome of him just signing back with the Yankees was always the most likely outcome regardless and to answer your question I will be upset if we get outbid on Springer with the Mets out. If we go into the season with no improvements...then yeah I will be annoyed. There are a lot of good players to be had.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I don't even think you know what you're trying to say here.

we both know what i'm trying to say here. Ryu came with a very specific marketing/revenue angle. Thus the winning offer for a 34yr old with questionable fitness.

but shapiro never thought they would win this bidding war. and neither did you.

Reactions: Hoverhand

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario

Total horse crap.
4 years was the max term most of us would have been comfortable with. 22.5 mil per is a bit rich. Springer would be the better signing for us anyways so I'll be more upset if this plays out again with him.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
we both know what i'm trying to say here. Ryu came with a very specific marketing/revenue angle. Thus the winning offer for a 34yr old with questionable fitness.

but shapiro never thought they would win this bidding war. and neither did you.

Ah, so we've switched from straight up "Shapiro will never sign an elite free agent" to discounting the ones he actually does sign.

Reactions: stickty111

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
George Springer sounds like our best bet when it comes to the Big Dogs.

DJ was never coming here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad