Blue Jays Discussion: Off-Season Pt IV | Ah the waiting game sucks, let's play Hungry Hungry Hippos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
The two are very different defensive players and play different positions but just to further the appreciation for Springers offensive abilities, take a look at this.

Josh Donaldson 2015-2017:
.285/.387/.559/.946
13.5 BB% / 19.0 K%
.274 ISO
.399 wOBA
154 wRC+

George Springer 2019-2020:
.284/.376/.576/.953
11.7 BB% / 19.4 K%
.292 ISO
.394 wOBA
153 wRC+

...yeah
Springer was a 6.5 WAR player in 2019. While that's not quite as good as Donaldson at his peak, and it was a career high for Springer, 6.5 WAR players are in the running for MVP. Springer isn't close to Trout, but hes an elite player. This is the biggest signing in Jays history, outside of Clemens.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Springer was a 6.5 WAR player in 2019. While that's not quite as good as Donaldson at his peak, and it was a career high for Springer, 6.5 WAR players are in the running for MVP. Springer isn't close to Trout, but hes an elite player. This is the biggest signing in Jays history, outside of Clemens.

Man Clemens was awesome with the Jays, yeah I know he juiced to the gills lmao.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
you gotta take the gamble on bauer...we've all seen the teams that make it to and win the world series, and know how their top 3 starters look

we can gamble and lose but you cant go so far and not go all the way...look at the padres pushing all the way because they started, thats what you gotta do, you cant start going and stop now

plus i dont think theres elite potential starting arms to even gamble big on next season

Last edited:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Guys im going to go shower again.

Forward your water bill to Rogers. For the cause.

This would mean more if it wasn't coming from Jim Bowden.

EsJW7HhVcAIT3JQ

Well, on the plus side if your water runs out from excessive showering we can always just replace it with Stroman's tears.

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
A lot of the difference in value comes from defence but in terms of offensive abilities the two are very comparable. I chose Donaldsons peak as the comparison as people would remember how important he was to those teams and wanted to represent what Springer is bringing to Toronto. No arguments from me though in regards to Springer being an MVP candidate.

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
Everyone, you are amazing! and I am on my second scotch toasting this move lol

Good day to be a Jay's fan!

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
you gotta take the gamble on bauer...we've all seen the teams that make it to and win the world series, and know how their top 3 starters look

we can gamble and lose but you cant go so far and not go all the way...look at the padres pushing all the way because they started, thats what you gotta do, you cant start going and stop now

The thing that gives me pause is that Bauer's rep way outpaces his actual performance.

He wants to get paid like an ace but he has 2 ace-performance seasons (one of which being this last COVID-shortened year, so pinch of salt advised) and a whole mess of rather mediocre ones.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
man i would look add a castillo type via trade and still try my best to sign bauer...i have a huge starter fetish

tampa took 3 great starters and just a good offense and almost got there...nothing gets me going more than great starting arms man, not even the best offense in baseball

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
What's the 26 man roster look like right now if there were no more moves?

Springer
Biggio
Bichette
Teoscar
Vladdy
Gurriel
Grichuk
Tellez
Jansen

Fisher
Kirk
Espinal
McGuire

Ryu
Pearson
Ray
Stripling
Kay

Yates
Romano
Dolis
Chatwood
Borucki
Merryweather
Reid-Foley
Roark

Would assume they'd bring in another starter which would knock Kay out. Probably another infielder as I don't see them wanting to gift 3rd to Vladdy. That would knock Grichuk to the bench and Fisher or McGuire out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad