Blue Jays Discussion: Off-Season Pt IV | Ah the waiting game sucks, let's play Hungry Hungry Hippos

Status
Not open for further replies.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
3khW.gif

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
I'd be happy bringing him back along with a bigger signing for the rotation.

Agreed. I wouldn’t mind Walker as our 5th starter but we need a better 2nd or 3rd starter.

Ryu
Pearson
_______
Ray
Walker

Stripling in the pen and Roark traded.

Reactions: Puckstuff

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

Offer up Roark (retained) and Fisher for Benintendi.

Boston needs arms and innings, Roark can give them that on a 1 year deal and Fisher gives them an OF with upside and control.

If the Jays retained 3M on Roark then the 2021 money would match up evenly.

Last edited:

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Why is Pearson being slotted in as a #2? If we ever did sign Bauer, I'd still sign Walker, Tanaka or Orodizzi to be the #3 and slot Pearson in as the #4.

Pearson needs to prove he can be healthy and effective first and foremost, which I think he will do. But do we think Atkins and Montoyo are going to give him that many innings? I just don't see it and wouldn't count on it if we want to win a playoff series at least this year.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
So far we have been tagged to Springer, Realmuto, Bauer, Lindor, Hendricks, DJ Lamehieu, Ozuna, Hand ... Let's see who we come out with.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

Offer up Roark (retained) and Fisher for Benintendi.

Boston needs arms and innings, Roark can give them that on a 1 year deal and Fisher gives them an OF with upside and control.

If the Jays retained 3M on Roark then the 2021 money would match up evenly.

The only way he really fits is that he hits from the left side.

I would like him as a trade target if the Jays had a need for a corner OF, though.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Rosenthal: Logic of a potential Fernando Tatis Jr. extension, more notes - The Athletic

Center field still Jays’ biggest need

The Blue Jays spoke to the Indians about Lindor but chose not to match or exceed the Mets’ offer of infielder Andrés Giménez, shortstop Amed Rosario, right-hander Josh Wolf and outfielder Isaiah Greene. Lindor would have elevated the Jays just as he will elevate the Mets, but the ideal addition for Toronto remains free-agent center fielder George Springer.

The addition of Lindor would have created a domino effect for several of the Jays’ young players. Bo Bichette likely would have moved to second base and Cavan Biggio to third, forcing Vladimir Guerrero Jr. to remain at first even though he has worked hard this offseason with the goal of reclaiming third, his original position. Left fielder Lourdes Gurriel Jr. and right fielder Teoscar Hernández also might have lost playing time on days when Biggio played the outfield.

Teams often benefit from moving young players into less prominent roles, particularly when it’s to accommodate a player as good as Lindor. But for the Jays, the signing of free-agent infielder DJ LeMahieu, who plays first, second and third, would be somewhat less disruptive. And center field, considering Randal Grichuk’s defensive shortcomings at the position, is a much more obvious hole.

Of course, the Jays face competition for Springer from the Mets, who likely would exceed the $210 million luxury-tax threshold if they signed him and addressed their remaining, albeit secondary, needs. Cohen might not care about blowing past the first threshold and paying 20 percent on the overages up to $230 million.
An extension for Lindor, starting next season, would not affect this year’s luxury-tax payroll.

One executive, citing the depressed market, predicted Monday that Springer, 31, would not exceed a $150 million guarantee. But an agent, saying the Jays and Mets should not be the only teams involved for a player of Springer’s quality, predicted the player might get $170 million to $190 million in a five- or six-year deal.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
5 teams poised to make the next big move
Blue Jays
They seem to be in the mix for quite a few impact players this offseason but so far have not landed any, with re-signing lefty Robbie Ray their one notable move. However, it figures to be more of a matter of who and when than if. The Blue Jays jumped from 95 losses in 2019 to 32-28 in the shortened ‘20 campaign, making the postseason behind a young core of position players and last year’s big free-agent acquisition, Hyun Jin Ryu. The club still finished behind the Rays and Yankees in the division, but with Tampa Bay saying goodbye to Blake Snell and Charlie Morton and the Yankees also having a quiet winter, there’s an opening here for Toronto.

One splashy move: Signing free-agent outfielder George Springer. While the Jays could go in a few different directions -- and snatching DJ LeMahieu from the Yanks would undoubtedly be satisfying -- Springer is probably the best fit. He would be a defensive upgrade in center over Randal Grichuk and would bring a winning history, not to mention his elite bat. Springer could help make the club not only a division contender, but a championship contender.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
These teams will win the next 10 World Series
2025: Braves over Blue Jays
Atlanta only got one title out of the Maddux-Smoltz-Glavine years, and it turns out to be 30 years until its next one, in case you didn’t feel old enough already. It would be incredibly frustrating for Braves fans if they don’t make the World Series in the next four seasons, but this year, against a soon-to-hit-free-agency Vladimir Guerrero Jr. and the Jays, is the year that makes up for all of it. And Ronald Acuña Jr. at last becomes the Atlanta legend we all know he’s going to be.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Why is Pearson being slotted in as a #2? If we ever did sign Bauer, I'd still sign Walker, Tanaka or Orodizzi to be the #3 and slot Pearson in as the #4.

Pearson needs to prove he can be healthy and effective first and foremost, which I think he will do. But do we think Atkins and Montoyo are going to give him that many innings? I just don't see it and wouldn't count on it if we want to win a playoff series at least this year.

Even aside from that, is Pearson stretched out enough to pitch an entire season?

Reactions: weems

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Walker being re-signed is a no brainer. He was a solid add to rotation last season and seems to have mended with the teams coaching staff and players.

Signing him shouldnt hinder signing another arm like Bauer, Orduzzi, Paxton or Tanaka. It would bump Roark and Stripling from rotation and allow us to include either of the 2 in a potential deal to get better elsewhere.

Ryu
Bauer/Tanaka/Orduzzi/Paxton (in that order)
Pearson
Walker
Ray

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Wow, I didn't realize how awful Benintendi was last year. It's such a small sample, and I don't know how much the rib injury affected him. Interested to see what he gets traded for if he indeed is moved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->