Blue Jays Discussion: Off-Season Pt IV | Ah the waiting game sucks, let's play Hungry Hungry Hippos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
We will strike out on all the top targets. Realmuto is already rumored to likely re-sign leaving us Bauer and Springer and I'm not holding out hope for either.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
This should at least help the dominos to start falling. Jays will have to over pay to get any of the top FA’s. This is evident with Lemathieu likely taking a less lucrative deal to stay with the Yanks. Being the top bidder didn’t even help the Jays.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
This should at least help the dominos to start falling. Jays will have to over pay to get any of the top FA’s. This is evident with Lemathieu likely taking a less lucrative deal to stay with the Yanks. Being the top bidder didn’t even help the Jays.
what is evident? you dont know the contract yet and are saying that Lemahieu took less money and the jays will have to overpay to get a top free agent. Which are both wrong.

Last edited:

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I am really hoping the Yankees give DJ that 5th year. I would have liked to bring him in...but there was high bad contract risk that came with signing him as well.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
We will strike out on all the top targets. Realmuto is already rumored to likely re-sign leaving us Bauer and Springer and I'm not holding out hope for either.
If that report of the Mets not having seriously pursued him is true, the Jays should have the inside track on Springer. I have zero faith that Bauer is not just using us as leverage though. That would totally be in character for him.

Reactions: smitty10

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Didn't Atkins say something like "they wouldn't set the market" which is essentially corporate speak for seeing who's the last 'big name' left once the teams with money to spend are done and signing them for as cheap as possible.

Sounds like they've been in on everyone, but consistently offering 10-20% less than what the players got or are negotiating with other teams for.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
The original rumor was the Yankees were willing to do 4/$75 and DJ was asking for $100 million. I wouldn't want to pay him for 6 years either, but if it's only $90 million, that's a really good deal for 3 or 4 years at only $15 million per year.

metafour

Apr 6, 2008
Also interesting some of the top international guys getting $4+ million but Cespedes only got $2 million.

That's because as a Cuban defector most of the teams had already committed their money to 16 year olds long before he was ever on the market. So by the time he defected and MLB cleared him, there wasn't much out there for him.

And really, he shouldn't even be compared to 16 year olds in the first place. It's a different market and a different category, even though they're all "IFA's".

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

I wasn’t a fan but at 4 years and under 80M, I would have taken that.

But he wanted to be a Yankee. We have to offer 100M over 5 years to get it done.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
LeMahieu's preference was always to remain in NY. You have to think if the Yankees sign him to 5-6 years at around 90 million the Jays definitely offered 4 years at 15 million per at the very least. It always came down to him wanting to remain in New York and he took the same money over 5-6 years to help club with taxes while making the same money as Toronto offered.

Some may say it was a stupid decision, but in the end for him it was definitely about location and not so much dollars. But I cannot see the Jays having offered less then what is being reported.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB

This is what I would have paid him. Wouldn't have went beyond 4 years, but if you value him at 4/78, you're only paying him $6 million for the last 2 years at 6/90. Comes down to how you value DJ in the first 3 or 4 years.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

I wasn’t a fan but at 4 years and under 80M, I would have taken that.

But he wanted to be a Yankee. We have to offer 100M over 5 years to get it done.

I mean... if what this guy is saying is true and he actually was "very close" to signing in Toronto, I think the Jays probably could have gotten it done for quite a bit less than $100 million. If you have to add almost 30% to your bid, then it wasn't "very close".

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017

If this is true the Jays missed the boat big time on this and arent as willing to spend as they insist they are. Sorry but they should have offered 4yrs at 90 million as their best offer. They definitely would have had him signed on the dotted line.

This now makes complete sense as to why they are second to everyone in signing FA. They are unwilling to pay the extra dollars necessary to secure a player to come north of the border.

This is why Springer isnt signed. They are low balling him as well. Im disappointed that they didnt offer more. I would have been more happy if we offered more but he stayed with Yankees.

Total horse crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad