Speculation: Off-season Pivot Point: Centers of Attention

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
With Krueger coming in as the new coach, and his penchant for being an intelligent and, within the hockey world at least, outside the box thinker, is this the best chance we have to see Reinhart at center.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
With Krueger coming in as the new coach, and his penchant for being an intelligent and, within the hockey world at least, outside the box thinker, is this the best chance we have to see Reinhart at center.

I gave up the dream of Reinhart at center when I read the Lebrun tweet about us looking to acquire a top 6 center and a top 6 winger. Based on that, Botts' continued praising of Tage, and his continued mentioning of the Sheary trade, I'm now convinced that they see this as our roster construction moving into next year:

Skinner-Eichel-Reinhart
Olofsson-XXX-YYY
Sheary-Mitts-Thompson
ZZZ-Larsson-Okposo

Where XXX & YYY are acquired via UFA or trade using some combination of Erod, Nylander, Girgs, one of our left-handed defensemen, and draft picks. Whoever is left fills ZZZ.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
I would think they can find a taker for Eakin after last season and if need be, they can move Haula as well to free that space for Glass and allow them to sign Bellamare. Or they could bundle up Eakin or Haula with the Clarkson contract and say... a pick for something like say... pocket lint to get all the cap space they need.
I actually think, and this is just a thought, that Clarkson has already been "traded" as part of the Stone deal. He has a 2.25 mil bonus due next year and my guess is the Knights will pay the portion of the bonus not covered by insurance and then he will be moved to Ottawa where they will only be on the hook for the part of the 1 mil salary not covered by insurance.

I keep trying to figure out if I would like Glass to start in Chicago next year or just throw him from the Wolves into the NHL after his end of the season run.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
So after contemplating on this list a bit I want both Pageau and Carpenter (or someone similar).
Pageau might be able to hold the fort if we Mittelstadt doesn't take the next step and Reinhart continues as a winger. Carpenter is needed if Larsson breaks down since that bizarre match up line will be needed to put in a lot of minutes for us to win with our one line team (that hopefully becomes a two line team soon).

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
I know it probably won’t happen, but I’d love to see an Andrew Copp offersheet. Or if not I’d be more than happy to give up #31 for him.

6yr. 3.5M Aav works out to $4.2M over 5 yrs in terms of compensation for offersheet. That would have us owing Winnipeg a 2020 2nd Round Pick. I’d pay #31 to acquire his rights as our own and have right of first refusal in case anyone tries to swoop in.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I know it probably won’t happen, but I’d love to see an Andrew Copp offersheet. Or if not I’d be more than happy to give up #31 for him.

6yr. 3.5M Aav works out to $4.2M over 5 yrs in terms of compensation for offersheet. That would have us owing Winnipeg a 2020 2nd Round Pick. I’d pay #31 to acquire his rights as our own and have right of first refusal in case anyone tries to swoop in.

A 1st?? For Copp?? Heck, even a 2nd? Guy's a 30 point player.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
A 1st?? For Copp?? Heck, even a 2nd? Guy's a 30 point player.

He’s a 30pt player but I think he could be more. I know he’s 23-24 but he’s a solid defensive center and could be a good platoon option with Mittelstadt as the middle 2 centers

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
He’s a 30pt player but I think he could be more. I know he’s 23-24 but he’s a solid defensive center and could be a good platoon option with Mittelstadt as the middle 2 centers

Still not worth anywhere near that high a pick. You pay for the player he is, not the player you hope he can be. Also, he was 24 all of last season and turns 25 next month. Odds are, if he were going to break out further, he already would have done it. Forwards that "arrive" at age 25+ are pretty few and far between.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
Just a thought, but what about trying to pry McCann out of Pittsburgh? 35 points last year and I can see him hitting 50 if he's put higher in the lineup.
It would be a good add but I don't see them trading to him us realistically considering our assets. What are we really working with? Nylander? Thompson? Our late 1st? And I think they value McCann quite a bit over there

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Just a thought, but what about trying to pry McCann out of Pittsburgh? 35 points last year and I can see him hitting 50 if he's put higher in the lineup.

Is he a true center? Never hitting 50% in the dot gives me pause......and I'm not sure he's a 50 pt guy.

Might be an ideal 3rd line winger........

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Is he a true center? Never hitting 50% in the dot gives me pause......and I'm not sure he's a 50 pt guy.

Might be an ideal 3rd line winger........

Centred the #1 line when in junior playing for the Greyhounds. Took all the draws for them on the PK. This year was his first year playing above the 4th line. (3rd line in PIT). Is still young (23) and costs only 1.2M for the next year. Scored 4 shorthanded goals last year. 11 goals, 18 points in 32 games after being traded to Pittsburgh, and 0 of those were PP points. With an increase in icetime, I wouldn't be surprised to see 50 points.

It would be a good add but I don't see them trading to him us realistically considering our assets. What are we really working with? Nylander? Thompson? Our late 1st? And I think they value McCann quite a bit over there

I would trade the late 1st + McCabe for McCann + Kasper Bjorkqvist

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
McCabe for McCann would be interested, just as Pittsburgh just exchanged his LHD and it’s probably risky to start next season with Pettersson in top 4, and Johnson is just bad.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
I mentioned before, a lot of teams had McCann on their Do Not Draft list and he has been passed around the league a lot. I would avoid him, this team can't afford character flaw guys right now.

Reactions: Chainshot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad