Speculation: Off-season Pivot Point: Centers of Attention

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
I know it's not as realistic as the other names on this list, but I'd give up quite a bit to make a Cirelli trade happen.

Reactions: coastal

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
Copp. Theres a whole lot of forwards from the Jets I'd love to acquire.

Poturalski. Would he sign a two way deal? Rochester needs center help too. If he makes the big club then great.

Reactions: Chainshot

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Want nothing to do with Wennberg/Turris this offseason. Just seems panic-y and short sighted and will just be an issue down the line clogging up space. Give me one of the 1yr guys all day over either and reassess next summer with more roster flexibility & cap space.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Why is Ryan Dzingel's name not coming up more? UFA, 27 years old, has become a 55-65 point guy the last couple seasons.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Same here.

Here's the question... would you give up #7 for Cirelli?

I think I would. He's already very strong defensively and putting up .5 points/game playing a more defense-oriented role. There might be some players at 7 with more upside, but Cirelli's a safe bet that fills a big need. Plus, you'd obviously be betting on him being able to grow into a bigger role.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Of course, the better question to ask about Cirelli is how do we make it worthwhile for Tampa to move a cost-controlled asset in the midst of a cap crunch. Swapping him for a pick doesn't really save them anything. I'd propose 7 + Sobotka for Cirelli + Callahan. Saves the Lightning some cap space, and we don't have to watch Sobotka try to play hockey anymore (except for @Jame :D).

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Same here.

Every day I get a little closer to saying yes on that one. His contract after next season (assuming he scores another 20 goals) will be, what, $6M until UFA?

Weigh that against Zegras (or whoever) taking 2 years to develop, the question marks associated with him/others...I see good points on both sides of this argument.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Same here.

I watched Cirelli play in Oshawa and love his heart but I wouldn't do 7 for him. Not sure he has the skill to become a true number 2 centre and I think if you are giving up #7 you need to know for sure. Kid is a winner and I would love to have him. If Botts made that deal I wouldn't bitch and moan but I'm just not there. I think targeting a Copp for far less or making a deal for JT Miller and taking on Callahan for a year at a reduced payment might be the better play and draft the BPA at 7.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Of course, the better question to ask about Cirelli is how do we make it worthwhile for Tampa to move a cost-controlled asset in the midst of a cap crunch. Swapping him for a pick doesn't really save them anything. I'd propose 7 + Sobotka for Cirelli + Callahan. Saves the Lightning some cap space, and we don't have to watch Sobotka try to play hockey anymore (except for @Jame :D).

I wouldn't give up 7OV and give TB over $2M in cap relief in a deal like that.

Giving up 7OV for a good 3C that is a lottery ticket to be better than Mitts at 2C isn't a roll of the dice that I would take.

If you swap out Callahan with JT Miller, then I might be willing to do it.

Who Is The Most Underrated On The Tampa Bay Lightning?

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Same here.

That's a tough one...

I wonder what the add to our second first is to make it realistic. Thinking about our more movable pieces that have some value:

#31 + Nylander + McCabe + ??? for Cirelli and Callahan?

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
That's a tough one...

I wonder what the add to our second first is to make it realistic. Thinking about our more movable pieces that have some value:

#31 + Nylander + McCabe + ??? for Cirelli and Callahan?
Honestly, I don’t see how it gives Tampa the right bits, in fact they need to free up salary and find RHD in the top 4. I see a deal around Risto, they get what they need, we get what we need and everyone is happy, I do not that they will have a problem to replace Cirelli with another 3C on ELС or those who are in the roster.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Why is Ryan Dzingel's name not coming up more? UFA, 27 years old, has become a 55-65 point guy the last couple seasons.

Isn’t he considered more of a winger than a true center? I have a little bit of concerned that he is benefited from the additional time on ice in the way someone like capital Moore did with the Leafs. (Or Like Larry or Gus here.)

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
I admit, Krebs injury opened my mind to trading 7....

7 for Cirelli
Risto for 26, Miller, Callahan
26 and 31 for ~15
15 draft Krebs
:)
Too many moving parts and no guarantee Krebs lasts that long. A good player sure, but Cirelli is still a product of the system in Tampa, in particular their overwhelming depth. I would leary.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I admit, Krebs injury opened my mind to trading 7....

7 for Cirelli
Risto for 26, Miller, Callahan
26 and 31 for ~15
15 draft Krebs
:)

I don't think Cirelli is worth 7 OA alone. He's a nice player, but I can't put him in that sort of conversation alone.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Pageau for a 2020 2nd seemed to have legs. Extend him at a reasonable rate, plug him in as the 2C behind Eichel with Sam on RW getting the checking assignment details and bank the #7 OA as a top prospect for later. If Mitts breaks out, great, Pageau would be an affordable 3C as well.

He's decent at the dot (above 50% regularly), is used to about 60% d-zone starts and has a knack for producing in the playoffs.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Yea, as a known commodity he returned ~4 first rounders... I’m trying to get Cirelli for 1 first rounder before everyone catches on.

You know full well that pre-draft vs. post-draft valuation for prospects shifts with the pre-selection value point being higher than post-selection. And it doesn't take into account apparent value loss over time as prospects age, flattening their development curve into more known outcome.

We know Botterill is unlikely to land Cirelli. I'm hoping he's smart enough to not be a traditionalist and waste money or assets on some of the established individuals and instead focuses more on value adds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad