Speculation: Off-season Pivot Point: Centers of Attention

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Re: Henrique

#1. 10 Team NTC. So likely not even an option
#2. 29 years old. 5.825M for the next 5 seasons, career high of 50 points.

I'm sure at some level, he's available. But.....I'm not sure I'd pay much more than taking on that contract. He's likely going to be a high 30s/low 40 point center for the duration.

Yea, it's the same as the Turris conversation. Even though Henrique is a more balanced option... that contract is a non starter.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
That is a question. If they’re worried about the long-term Implications of the deal in Anaheim, what is the value of taking that off their hands versus what did they think the value of the player is in the short term while they’re rebuilding. He’s not my favorite target. He reminds me of Matt Stajan, Just a smidge more expensive than I want to pay for that sort of fill.

Agreed, there’s probably a couple of years worth of 30 or 40 point production based on a role and time on ice. But I just feel like that contract is going to age poorly. I hate NTCs. In terms of willingness to accept, he’s pretty low on my list.

Stajan never scored 20 goals in a season, had just two seasons where he produced 40+ points. Henrique had the weird unproductive half season in 2012-13 and has otherwise been a 40-50 point player in each of his other 7 seasons in the league, scoring 20+ four times. That's not a great comparison, Stajan never reached a level of consistent production that Henrique has shown for the past six seasons.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I don't think he has to strike gold.

He simply has to get an adequate return, which, IMHO, is a top 6 forward + 1st round pick or highly rated prospect.

We can then use other ammo to go after a center.

I'd be shocked if we were able to flip Risto for the center that meets our needs in one trade.

Let's see him strike gold without having circumstances completely in his favor. We've yet to see it.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Stajan never scored 20 goals in a season, had just two seasons where he produced 40+ points. Henrique had the weird unproductive half season in 2012-13 and has otherwise been a 40-50 point player in each of his other 7 seasons in the league, scoring 20+ four times. That's not a great comparison, Stajan never reached a level of consistent production that Henrique has shown for the past six seasons.

Valid, it's in my head I have them as similar. :D The perils of posting from PT and doing no research and just going with gut reaction.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
I don't think he has to strike gold.

He simply has to get an adequate return, which, IMHO, is a top 6 forward + 1st round pick or highly rated prospect.

We can then use other ammo to go after a center.

I'd be shocked if we were able to flip Risto for the center that meets our needs in one trade.

I'm one of Risto's bigger proponents on the board, and I wouldn't hesitate to move him for a 1st + a top 6 forward, or a highly rated prospect. That's a lofty return.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Get ready for..."2C" Johan Larsson

I'm only half kidding though, I have a feeling Krueger may really like him and identify him as something more than just an 85% d-zone lunch pailer. Not sure its going to matter how we number the centers behind Eichel, we obviously need to add another 2/3C, but if they end up rolling the lines more versus using the situational assignments of Phil/Disco, I could actually see an increase in his minutes.

N.Y. Orangeman

Mar 15, 2002
myspace.com
Great OP!

Unless something unexpected happens on the trade block, I don't want to go to my grave wondering if Sam could have been a center.

Tierney gets my vote if we acquire one out of that list...harrumph.

Attachments

• E4113D12-15B1-47C3-96CC-392A3EC78884.jpeg
    E4113D12-15B1-47C3-96CC-392A3EC78884.jpeg
    77.6 KB · Views: 2

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I also like the Tierney version, especially if Sam and a guy like Zucker are on his wings, there would be a not bad second link.

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm

I'm only half kidding though, I have a feeling Krueger may really like him and identify him as something more than just an 85% d-zone lunch pailer. Not sure its going to matter how we number the centers behind Eichel, we obviously need to add another 2/3C, but if they end up rolling the lines more versus using the situational assignments of Phil/Disco, I could actually see an increase in his minutes.
Maybe we could use zemgus as a scoring winger as well with him ?

Reactions: coastal

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
My snark is tempered by I am happy with him in his role last year w a new winger w okposo and am fine w zemgus i suppose with a new role or with them doing laps if they arent physical in front and drive net they cycle and work better than anyone left on the team just have the shot of a mid tier women's prospect

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
Let me talk about the 4 Knights players from the OP.

Haula did his best work with Neal and Perron as the number 2 center. They were however one of the worst defensive 2nd lines in the NHL 2 years ago, thus the reason for Patches and Stastny acquisitions. He could play wing but he would much prefer to play center.

With Eakin, I see him more as a number 3 guy that can step up and play #2 for a short period of time. He played with a rotating cast of characters this season. He filled in for Stastny during his injury with Tuch and Patches, then played on line 3 with Tuch and Pirri/Carpenter/Nosek. Not having him out there for the 5 minute penalty kill in game 7 really hurt.

Carpenter is one of the great glue bottom 6 guys. Kills penalties, can play wing or center. Line 3 or 4. Probably won't get much production offensively but a guy teams love to have.

Pirri needs to be a middle 6 winger, period. He isn't as bad defensively as he had the reputation as being but he isn't going to be killing penalties or shutting down another line either.

Hopefully Vegas can trade Eakin so they have the cash to re-sign Bellemare but he would be an awesome short time center option for the bottom line.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008

I'm okay with 2C being Reinhart. It's time to see if he can drive a line at C consistently. We know he can do it at wing. He has a skillset that can be dominant at center: Puck protection skills, defensive awareness, playmaking, can score in tight, etc...surround him with second line talent, and he could flourish. This also saves us capital because we wont have to trade assets or spend major bucks to acquire a top-6 center.

Skinner-Eichel-XxX
Dominant first line that gets more offensive zone starts.

Olofsson+-Reinhart-XXX
Another scoring line that can also be competant in their own zone.

Girgs-Larsson-XXX
Heavey D-zone usage.

Smith+-Mitts-ERod
Heavy O-zone usage.

(+) are camp battles. Nylander, Thompson, etc...are battling for spots. Okoposo is playing utility. Sheary is peace!

Ideally, we add two more legit top-9 wingers with some punch. Eichel's and Reinhart's line could both use some big bodies who play heavey on their line.

We'd be banking on Asplund/Olofsson/Smith/Thompson/Nylander can become NHL caliber players. I'd make that wager.

Defense is tricky, and is a whole other chapter I'm dont have the time open, haha.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aladyyn

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Zucker - Haula - Reinhart

Would also be one of the worst second lines in the league when playing defense?:huh:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Zucker - Haula - Reinhart

Would also be one of the worst second lines in the league when playing defense?:huh:

All three independently have multiple seasons with above average defensive metrics. This last year looks like it was Zucker's worst, same with Reinhart, and they were about league average at it. I'd be curious what Reinhart could do reunited with high-tempo linemates akin to what he had at the U20's with Domi-Duclair where he was the savvy straw that stirred the drink and made that line go.

Haula's contract seems like it fits the Vegas cap situation the best, but who knows?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Re-listening to Friedmann's June 4th 31 Thoughts on the drive to lacrosse and something I missed: last year the ask from Kevin Hayes camp was believed to be 5x5 and the current cost is possibly around that. Since I think he's a better player than Nelson and is also likely to get a quality offer from a team coached by someone who has familiarity with him, I don't think he hits UFA. And I don't think Buffalo has been in the conversation about what teams are doing to the most investigation on him (that's been rumored to be Chicago, even though he spurned them years ago, Colorado, and of course the Flyers).

I was expecting the discussed AAV to be way over $5M.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Haula's contract seems like it fits the Vegas cap situation the best, but who knows?
Well, I do not think that he is untouchable, there is no place for him on the left wing, there are Karlsson, Stastny, Eakin and Glass in the center, of course they probably would like to move first from Eakin, but I think Haula too may be available.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Re-listening to Friedmann's June 4th 31 Thoughts on the drive to lacrosse and something I missed: last year the ask from Kevin Hayes camp was believed to be 5x5 and the current cost is possibly around that. Since I think he's a better player than Nelson and is also likely to get a quality offer from a team coached by someone who has familiarity with him, I don't think he hits UFA. And I don't think Buffalo has been in the conversation about what teams are doing to the most investigation on him (that's been rumored to be Chicago, even though he spurned them years ago, Colorado, and of course the Flyers).

I was expecting the discussed AAV to be way over $5M.

Shit.... yea, I’d beat 5x5 and I don’t really want Hayes that much, but that’s a bargain.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Well, I do not think that he is untouchable, there is no place for him on the left wing, there are Karlsson, Stastny, Eakin and Glass in the center, of course they probably would like to move first from Eakin, but I think Haula too may be available.

I would think they can find a taker for Eakin after last season and if need be, they can move Haula as well to free that space for Glass and allow them to sign Bellamare. Or they could bundle up Eakin or Haula with the Clarkson contract and say... a pick for something like say... pocket lint to get all the cap space they need.

coastal

Jun 22, 2016
Turris is a low cost trade target that makes a lot of sense.... depending on who we get to play wing on that line.

Personally, I hope Botts is shopping for an entire 2nd line so we can leave Reinhart on the 1st line at RW.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I used to think that Turris is a not bad option, but now I don’t want to see him. Twice broke ankle, 30 years old, 6M for another 5 years, it really scares me.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Turris is a low cost trade target that makes a lot of sense.... depending on who we get to play wing on that line.

Personally, I hope Botts is shopping for an entire 2nd line so we can leave Reinhart on the 1st line at RW.

Turris was bad this year and at his age it seems unlikely that he will rebound. That contract is hard to swallow.

Reactions: Baccus

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

Turris is the worst target there is... that contract is Okposo level bad

Reactions: Sabreality

coastal

Jun 22, 2016
He was hurt and given shit to play with... low cost in terms of assets... have them pick up some salary.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
He was hurt and given **** to play with... low cost in terms of assets... have them pick up some salary.

He’s old, breaking down, and expensive.

Anytime your taking on 5 years of contract in 30+ year old range... you’re making a bad move.

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
Copp, Roslovic and to a lesser degree Pageau would be my prefered targets. The WPG centers are in the sweet spot of likely available, trending upwards/having untapped potential and probably being reasonably priced, at least if Chevy takes a day off (I accept full responsibility for that pun).

All three should be good 3Cs behind Eichel/Reinhart and be able to fill in as stopgap 2Cs without being terribly out of place, should Reinhart at C not work out for whatever reason.

I liked Wennberg as a possible low cost test drive candidate at the deadline with the possibility of buying him out for cheap if he didn't work out. Now, I think there are better options.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad