Speculation: Off-season Pivot Point: Centers of Attention

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Work out your own salvation - Siddhartha Gautama

We're all waiting to see what the team does for the vacancy behind Jack Eichel as the Sabres 2C. Mittelstadt could one day be that player, but he's still probably a few years out from owning that roster spot fully. Johan Larsson was buried in a ridiculous defensive use and while he's a 3C type, there might be a feeling they need to change that up more than give him a whirl with say Olofsson and Reinhart behind Jack. Asplund doesn't seem like he projects out as a 2C, more so as a checking role player and while his final 20 game stretch with the Amerks was solid development, he seems more like someone who should get the start of the year in Rochester before coming up. Ruotsalainen was signed as a center and is likely more of a wing option, even if he were to surprisingly make the team out of his first camp.

Depth is an issue here right now. So too is finding a guy who can allow Mitts to shuffle down to a sheltered role (so someone who isn't a suck at his own end of the rink) and also one who could generate some offense.

Others have gone over Reinhart as an option, and if they want to go that way, the conversation about who should be his wingers certainly would be vital and shifts the focus. Having had two dufus HC's who only used him sparingly there, including a 20-game stretch with the likes of Jordan Nolan and Seth Griffith. With Skinner-Eichel as a probable "thing", the options are Olofsson or Sheary on LW with a missing on RW for both the top line and line 2. But that's a discussion for a different thread, and even a different medium.

So let's look at the usual and unusual suspects that might be fits for a 2/3. I was thinking a proven 2 would be nice but someone who can perform as a high-end 3C to back up Mittelstadt when he finally arrives is probably a fit given their commitment to Casey thus far.

I'm not putting some silliness in here about Malkin or Horvat or even William Karlsson since those don't seem like options for Buffalo. I'm also leaving out Rask because bleh. I didn't put Kadri in since I don't think Buffalo and Toronto swing that deal since neither is going to want to see the pieces moved facing them in the future. And JT Miller is a winger even more so than Marcus Johansson.

So...

Erik Haula - 28, $2.75M for next season, then UFA; Cheap, but coming of an injury and his metrics are all over the place based on role. He's played as a checker in Minny and offensively in Vegas. Usually his injury is a fully-recoverable one, since his best feature is his speed.

Cody Eakins - 28, signed for 1 season at $3.85M AAV and then UFA; Productive scoring stats, but his metrics aren't great for his career so it may be a matter of ice time. Also like Haula and Pirri, that Vegas team is a machine where everyone is onboard with the system and how to play. Of the options from Vegas, his contract is probably more desired to be moved rom the Knights' perspective knowing that they can plug Haula back in at an even lower rate.

JP Pageau -26, signed for one year; Coming off an injury and playing in Ottawa, Pageau is really under-rated, and is the guy I think they should target as a low-end 2C who can be an excellent 3C with playoff chops. He's 1-year to UFA, so this would be the time extend him if they could for less than Nelson got and who I think he's better than. Sens fans don't seem particularly attached and that he might be available for some sort of non-first round pick pack. I look back at the Hecht deal and wonder if they could do a 2nd next year and some sort of contingent pick if he re-signs (say a 4th) to move the needle.

Chris Tierney - 24, signed for on year until RFA; He might be doable, but not a great metric year in Ottawa. He looked very solid in a 3-role in San Jose and could grow into a solid 2 on a competitive team. I like Pageau more at this point.

Alexander Wennberg - 24, signed for 4 more years at $4.9M AAV; PP guy, long-term deal and might be available but with the possible departures and arrivals in C'bus I could see his moving or not being determined by a lot of other moving pieces. He's sort of in the "plan c" list if the Sabres are unable to make a trade (my prefered option for this right now) or sign a UFA, as well as what happens with the Jackets themselves with Duchene and Dzingel. He might get more play due to the thought of how William Karlsson popped with the Knights, but William is more of a shoot-first possession player. I've tried to make it hotter in here than out there.

Kevin Hayes - 27, UFA; Philly is putting on a press to sign him before the opening of UFA. I'm curious if his agent is gauging the market and he'll go from a Nelson-sized deal as was rumored to be on the table in Philly to something more since there are so few good pivots available as usual (duh). He seems like a guy who could be an excellent 3C long-term, and the UFA signing would probably make people's
heads melt if it is upwards of $7M AAV which wouldn't surprise if that's closer to the number.

Matt Duchene - UFA, 29, This probably means he's "the" guy they want, but I'm not interested honestly. I know he seems to be the biggest fish in a relatively small bowl, but I have concerns that the deal is going to age badly quickly. If they make it happen, outbidding Columbus, Montreal, and anyone else looking for center depth, I'd be impressed and probably dread the term and AAV on the contract.

Kyle Turris - 29, signed for 5 years at $6M AAV; That contract seems like it'll be part of need to purge even after one season for the Preds. When the Sens dug him out of his situation with the Coyotes, great, but I'm not sure this is a guy to look at as a viable 2C at this point. Could they leverage something else out Nashville to take him on? Maybe. What version of the player are they getting and at his age what is left in the tank for a resurgence? I'm more worried about a $9M offer on Duchene than I am for what Turris has left, but I'm also more worried that this is the beginning of a bad time in Turris production for that cost.

Nick Bonino - 31, signed for 2 seasons at $4.1M; Might be a fit as a 3C who plays up the lineup for a time and has some times to Botterill from the Pens days. The two remaining years aren't bad but this is a 3C to even 4C option.

Andrew Copp - 24, RFA, shows he can make a line go on his own with the Jets who might be in a tight cap situation depending on their other roster parts. I would expect they want to keep him around on an affordable deal and I am leery of yet another Buffalo noob GM making a deal with Chevy. Definitely a more 3 than a 2.

Jack Roslovic - 22, RFA, may want out of Winnipeg, did good work at the AHL level and there are rumblings he's dis-satisfied with role/ToI in the 'Peg. Can he be a 2C? That's risky but he's got some skills and might just need the ice time and opportunity.

Stop gaps?

Marcus Johansson - 28, UFA; A guy who plays any forward position and has had an inflationary playoff with the Bruins. On the Devils who are probably closer to the Sabres in terms of construction and ability, he wasn't the same player he is in Boston. This seems like it would be a decent 2/3 option but LW is a little crowded with Skinner/Sheary/Olofsson already in the mix. He's not my favorite option since I don't think he's good in the middle and I don't think he'll be as good as he's been for the B's in their playoff run.

Depth guys? Let's not forget that behind Asplund and the diminutive possible LW in Ruotsalainen, there is very little to speak of in the Sabres pro cupboard.

Andrew Poturalski - 26, Group VI UFA, AHL Playoff MVP, local. Like Pirri, seems like a good bet as a tweener who could be in contention for a pro gig coming out of camp. The hometown stuff is a nice sideline story but might be a way to sell him on coming to the Sabres vs. anywhere else. This is a depth guy who might be a diamond in the rough.

Brandon Pirri - 28, UFA; Probably more of a wing at the NHL level and we have all waited a long time to see if he ever gets a shot. He looked good on the machine that is Vegas in a replacement/recall role, mostly on wing. Seems like he's always been a tweener, but in the Porter-role as first vet recall or even competing for a spot right out of camp, I'm very, very interested interested.

Ryan Carpenter - 28, UFA; Versatile cheap depth PKer who has some quality defensive metrics with both San Jose and Vegas. I'd like him as part of a new 4th line.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
FYI, those aren't in order of preference. I just slapped some things onto notepad over the last few weeks trying to get a feel for who might be a fit and looked at counting stats, ToI, contracts, age, RAPM stuff, and general digging.

Reactions: joshjull

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Haula and Roslovic. One of them could play on the wing, I think Roslovic has a lot of potential, but maybe Maurice didn’t use him that way, it was rumored that some Winnipeg players were unhappy about how the coach used them. I also like your options players depth.

I would also add Zacha, Anisimov, Namestnikov, Faksa, Bjugstad, Carter and Henrique to this list, there are actually quite a lot of options.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Thanks for the effort in putting this together!
Gotta say none of them get me fired up in any sense. None are good options to compliment Jack for me. Duchene is the only one I see really pushing the meter for us to make us playoff bound but it just makes no salary cap sense at all.

I can't think about this until draft day is done. If we go center having drafted center and mitts slowly building towards being 2c makes any of these guys short term much more palatable.

I know he was on your list of likely not possible but Karlsson is my target for a true 2c now that is possible to attain and can help immediately, play 200 feet, and back teams off of both Jack and Mitts.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn

We're all waiting to see what the team does for the vacancy behind Jack Eichel as the Sabres 2C. Mittelstadt could one day be that player, but he's still probably a few years out from owning that roster spot fully. Johan Larsson was buried in a ridiculous defensive use and while he's a 3C type, there might be a feeling they need to change that up more than give him a whirl with say Olofsson and Reinhart behind Jack. Asplund doesn't seem like he projects out as a 2C, more so as a checking role player and while his final 20 game stretch with the Amerks was solid development, he seems more like someone who should get the start of the year in Rochester before coming up. Ruotsalainen was signed as a center and is likely more of a wing option, even if he were to surprisingly make the team out of his first camp.

Depth is an issue here right now. So too is finding a guy who can allow Mitts to shuffle down to a sheltered role (so someone who isn't a suck at his own end of the rink) and also one who could generate some offense.

Others have gone over Reinhart as an option, and if they want to go that way, the conversation about who should be his wingers certainly would be vital and shifts the focus. Having had two dufus HC's who only used him sparingly there, including a 20-game stretch with the likes of Jordan Nolan and Seth Griffith. With Skinner-Eichel as a probable "thing", the options are Olofsson or Sheary on LW with a missing on RW for both the top line and line 2. But that's a discussion for a different thread, and even a different medium.

So let's look at the usual and unusual suspects that might be fits for a 2/3. I was thinking a proven 2 would be nice but someone who can perform as a high-end 3C to back up Mittelstadt when he finally arrives is probably a fit given their commitment to Casey thus far.

I'm not putting some silliness in here about Malkin or Horvat or even William Karlsson since those don't seem like options for Buffalo. I'm also leaving out Rask because bleh. I didn't put Kadri in since I don't think Buffalo and Toronto swing that deal since neither is going to want to see the pieces moved facing them in the future. And JT Miller is a winger even more so than Marcus Johansson.

So...

Erik Haula - 28, $2.75M for next season, then UFA; Cheap, but coming of an injury and his metrics are all over the place based on role. He's played as a checker in Minny and offensively in Vegas. Usually his injury is a fully-recoverable one, since his best feature is his speed.

Cody Eakins - 28, signed for 1 season at $3.85M AAV and then UFA; Productive scoring stats, but his metrics aren't great for his career so it may be a matter of ice time. Also like Haula and Pirri, that Vegas team is a machine where everyone is onboard with the system and how to play. Of the options from Vegas, his contract is probably more desired to be moved rom the Knights' perspective knowing that they can plug Haula back in at an even lower rate.

JP Pageau -26, signed for one year; Coming off an injury and playing in Ottawa, Pageau is really under-rated, and is the guy I think they should target as a low-end 2C who can be an excellent 3C with playoff chops. He's 1-year to UFA, so this would be the time extend him if they could for less than Nelson got and who I think he's better than. Sens fans don't seem particularly attached and that he might be available for some sort of non-first round pick pack. I look back at the Hecht deal and wonder if they could do a 2nd next year and some sort of contingent pick if he re-signs (say a 4th) to move the needle.

Chris Tierney - 24, signed for on year until RFA; He might be doable, but not a great metric year in Ottawa. He looked very solid in a 3-role in San Jose and could grow into a solid 2 on a competitive team. I like Pageau more at this point.

Alexander Wennberg - 24, signed for 4 more years at $4.9M AAV; PP guy, long-term deal and might be available but with the possible departures and arrivals in C'bus I could see his moving or not being determined by a lot of other moving pieces. He's sort of in the "plan c" list if the Sabres are unable to make a trade (my prefered option for this right now) or sign a UFA, as well as what happens with the Jackets themselves with Duchene and Dzingel. He might get more play due to the thought of how William Karlsson popped with the Knights, but William is more of a shoot-first possession player. I've tried to make it hotter in here than out there.

Kevin Hayes - 27, UFA; Philly is putting on a press to sign him before the opening of UFA. I'm curious if his agent is gauging the market and he'll go from a Nelson-sized deal as was rumored to be on the table in Philly to something more since there are so few good pivots available as usual (duh). He seems like a guy who could be an excellent 3C long-term, and the UFA signing would probably make people's
heads melt if it is upwards of $7M AAV which wouldn't surprise if that's closer to the number.

Matt Duchene - UFA, 29, This probably means he's "the" guy they want, but I'm not interested honestly. I know he seems to be the biggest fish in a relatively small bowl, but I have concerns that the deal is going to age badly quickly. If they make it happen, outbidding Columbus, Montreal, and anyone else looking for center depth, I'd be impressed and probably dread the term and AAV on the contract.

Kyle Turris - 29, signed for 5 years at $6M AAV; That contract seems like it'll be part of need to purge even after one season for the Preds. When the Sens dug him out of his situation with the Coyotes, great, but I'm not sure this is a guy to look at as a viable 2C at this point. Could they leverage something else out Nashville to take him on? Maybe. What version of the player are they getting and at his age what is left in the tank for a resurgence? I'm more worried about a $9M offer on Duchene than I am for what Turris has left, but I'm also more worried that this is the beginning of a bad time in Turris production for that cost.

Nick Bonino - 31, signed for 2 seasons at $4.1M; Might be a fit as a 3C who plays up the lineup for a time and has some times to Botterill from the Pens days. The two remaining years aren't bad but this is a 3C to even 4C option.

Andrew Copp - 24, RFA, shows he can make a line go on his own with the Jets who might be in a tight cap situation depending on their other roster parts. I would expect they want to keep him around on an affordable deal and I am leery of yet another Buffalo noob GM making a deal with Chevy. Definitely a more 3 than a 2.

Jack Roslovic - 22, RFA, may want out of Winnipeg, did good work at the AHL level and there are rumblings he's dis-satisfied with role/ToI in the 'Peg. Can he be a 2C? That's risky but he's got some skills and might just need the ice time and opportunity.

Stop gaps?

Marcus Johansson - 28, UFA; A guy who plays any forward position and has had an inflationary playoff with the Bruins. On the Devils who are probably closer to the Sabres in terms of construction and ability, he wasn't the same player he is in Boston. This seems like it would be a decent 2/3 option but LW is a little crowded with Skinner/Sheary/Olofsson already in the mix. He's not my favorite option since I don't think he's good in the middle and I don't think he'll be as good as he's been for the B's in their playoff run.

Depth guys? Let's not forget that behind Asplund and the diminutive possible LW in Ruotsalainen, there is very little to speak of in the Sabres pro cupboard.

Andrew Poturalski - 26, Group VI UFA, AHL Playoff MVP, local. Like Pirri, seems like a good bet as a tweener who could be in contention for a pro gig coming out of camp. The hometown stuff is a nice sideline story but might be a way to sell him on coming to the Sabres vs. anywhere else. This is a depth guy who might be a diamond in the rough.

Brandon Pirri - 28, UFA; Probably more of a wing at the NHL level and we have all waited a long time to see if he ever gets a shot. He looked good on the machine that is Vegas in a replacement/recall role, mostly on wing. Seems like he's always been a tweener, but in the Porter-role as first vet recall or even competing for a spot right out of camp, I'm very, very interested interested.

Ryan Carpenter - 28, UFA; Versatile cheap depth PKer who has some quality defensive metrics with both San Jose and Vegas. I'd like him as part of a new 4th line.

I think you did a good job weeding out the unrealistic trades and stuck with the free agents that Botterill is likkely targeting. Botterill was pretty clear that it was much, much more likely that we address our needs through free agency since, despite the timing of the Skinner trade, trades almost never happen over the summer.

If any trade happens, it's going to be a winger as there have been rumblings that he's enamored with both Zucker and Lee.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I'd prefer one of the two WPG centers I guess.

Not a lot of choices that don't come with quite a bit of risk (biggest risk of all: wasting another season banking on unproven center talent).

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I think that giving Spezza a one year deal to roll the dice and give Mitts one more year to mature might not be the worst idea out there if they can't trade for a guy that you could count on in that role.

The other option could be something like getting a RW like Zuccs via UFA to free up Reinhart to move to C.

Another interesting situation to watch is SJ with Thornton and Pavelski hitting UFA together.

Someone will most likely give up too much for Pavelski if he hits the open market, but he would be awesome on a short term deal as a mentor for the kids.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
To be honest, none of those names really thrill me.

Given the max exodus of talent in Columbus (Panarin, Duchene, Bob), as much as Wennberg wasn't good last year, it seems like he's a player they could hope rebounds rather than try to move for pennies on the dollar.

I'm going to group the rest of these by team:

Las Vegas:

Both Haula and Eakins are likely available. I can't imagine the ask for either is too high. Seems to be like a "circle back around to" style move

Ottawa:

Pageau and Tierney - Is the mass exodus in Ottawa still happening? I haven't heard many of these names floating around the typical rumor mill.

Nashville:

Turris - I've kicked around this a bit. He was a very one dimensional center before he lost a step, him and Mittelstadt would be occupying the same space as sheltered centers. Combine that with that contract....yuck.

Bonino - I mean.....I see him in the same vein as Haula and Eakins. Not a bad pickup, but not sure how much it'd move the needle.

Winnipeg:

Copp - Not a bad pickup/covers a defensive center style role. Not sure the cost or how attached WPG is.

Roslovic - I don't know much about him. Seems like a reclamation project almost, but a few people are gung ho.

UFAs:

Duchene -
Just not realistic at this point. We'd have to commit 10M per over 7 years at a minimum. And it seems a few teams will be pushing hard that would be more his speed.

Hayes - I guess it would depend on the details. I think 7 years would be the minimum. I'd stay 7x7-ish area, which would be too much. Hayes seems like a guy who slows down a bit into his 30s which seems to oppose JB's attempt to build a faster team.

Johnssen - I've advocated for him a bit before, but it would probably depend on his ability to play center. I know he's played there recently-ish. But he seems to be much more of a winger.

Pirri/Carpenter -
Much more of 4th line center role-ish at this point.

I'll toss a few more names to the list that seems to be missing:

JT Miller - The only Lightning forward without an actual NTC in place (it kicks in 7/1). His production and role were reduced with the lightning last year, so he may welcome a larger role.

Kadri - Trading with the enemy, sure. But he does certainly fit the need we have.

RWatson29

Apr 24, 2012
Ontario
No Kadri, don’t want that scum at all. Havnt been hearing much on Tierney/Pageau lately but I’d take a flyer on them. Copp is an interesting one, it’s tough for me to gauge his value though. Roslovic I feel like would mesh with our younger core, but I don’t feel good now that he’s with Claude Lemieux. Don’t want to sign one of those big name(ish) UFAs like duchene or Hayes either.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Roslovic is a roll of the dice and not a guy that they can count on to really improve their center depth.

If Botterill really is targetting the 2020-21 season to make a push, getting Roslovic makes sense.

If they really are focused on pushing to make the playoffs in 2019-20, then I don't see the fit. He would be a bit redundant with Mitts here.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
My Top 5:

1. Karlsson
2. Getzlaf (Doubt he is available- but perfect fit)
3. Haula
4. Turris
5. Roslovic
HM: Duchene (probably overpaid and is 29)

Expecting Turris. He better come with Sissons or Tolvanen.

ANYONE but Sobotka.

Reactions: coastal

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
I've been campaigning for Pageau since mid season. I think he's one of the best value plays out there in terms of the quality of the player and the likely price to acquire him. Failing that, I wouldn't hate signing a guy like Spezza to a one year deal if the prices on the trade market are too high.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Outside of W. Karlsson or Duchene, you are rolling the dice on anyone playing 2c and being effective.

Atleast the front office is admitting there is a hole there and are looking to upgrade it.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee

Jack Roslovic - 22, RFA, may want out of Winnipeg, did good work at the AHL level and there are rumblings he's dis-satisfied with role/ToI in the 'Peg. Can he be a 2C? That's risky but he's got some skills
and might just need the ice time and opportunity.

These are the names I wanted to focus on. Pageau is great in the secondary portion of the game, he's a mini O'Reilly in the draw circle, in the PK and he puts up some points. He'd be the obvious middle center to acquire if truly available. I doubt Tierney is going anywhere, he improved steadily when getting the lead role in Ottawa and they have no reason to jettison a 24 year old with solid #2 center attributes. However, if he's available, he's the best of the entire list. Roslovic is wild card, steal from Winnipeg that I'm all about. Adding him adds a cheap, high end reward gamble that you don't get too often. Copp is an upgrade over our two lower centermen, but really not too much better than Larsson. However, if we can upgrade where we can, I'm all for it.

I wouldn't touch: Hayes, Turris. They read overpaid and poor results. Hayes is likely going to stick in Philly. He's not a bad player per say, but I'm really not comfortable giving him north of 5.5M.

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
J.T. Miller for STL's 1st is my top option right now (maybe add Callahan+a sweetener coming our way). 26 years old, $5.25M for four more years. He can play all three forward positions, so he can flex to wing once Mitts is ready to step up into the second line role.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
How available is Copp? What would it cost?

Wennberg is still intriguing. Big risk but of forwards who have played 600+ minutes the past 3 seasons hes 31st in even strength GAR.

Otherwise, I don't want to spend a lot. I wouldn't hate Bonino but wouldnt be super excited either.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
J.T. Miller for STL's 1st is my top option right now (maybe add Callahan+a sweetener coming our way). 26 years old, $5.25M for four more years. He can play all three forward positions, so he can flex to wing once Mitts is ready to step up into the second line role.

JT Miller is not a center.

I know he's still listed as one... but he's played primarily RW for the last 4 seasons. Beyond a stint as 3C in NY under AV, he's been primarily a winger since. Yes, even though Tampa moved him to 4C in the playoffs for 2 games as they put Cirelli at center with Stamkos on wing to try to jump start their disappearing offense.

A Miller acquisition should be viewed as a RW1 or RW2

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
My Top 5:

1. Karlsson
2. Getzlaf (Doubt he is available- but perfect fit)
3. Haula
4. Turris
5. Roslovic
HM: Duchene (probably overpaid and is 29)

Expecting Turris. He better come with Sissons or Tolvanen.

ANYONE but Sobotka.

Turris would be about as bad an acquisition as we could possibly make this offseason... it's so bad, that it's exactly what I expect Botts to do...

His contract is terrible, his skills were never good enough to begin with and are now diminishing.... do not touch!

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
To be honest, none of those names really thrill me.

Given the max exodus of talent in Columbus (Panarin, Duchene, Bob), as much as Wennberg wasn't good last year, it seems like he's a player they could hope rebounds rather than try to move for pennies on the dollar.

I'm going to group the rest of these by team:

Las Vegas:

Both Haula and Eakins are likely available. I can't imagine the ask for either is too high. Seems to be like a "circle back around to" style move

Ottawa:

Pageau and Tierney - Is the mass exodus in Ottawa still happening? I haven't heard many of these names floating around the typical rumor mill.

Nashville:

Turris - I've kicked around this a bit. He was a very one dimensional center before he lost a step, him and Mittelstadt would be occupying the same space as sheltered centers. Combine that with that contract....yuck.

Bonino - I mean.....I see him in the same vein as Haula and Eakins. Not a bad pickup, but not sure how much it'd move the needle.

Winnipeg:

Copp - Not a bad pickup/covers a defensive center style role. Not sure the cost or how attached WPG is.

Roslovic - I don't know much about him. Seems like a reclamation project almost, but a few people are gung ho.

UFAs:

Duchene -
Just not realistic at this point. We'd have to commit 10M per over 7 years at a minimum. And it seems a few teams will be pushing hard that would be more his speed.

Hayes - I guess it would depend on the details. I think 7 years would be the minimum. I'd stay 7x7-ish area, which would be too much. Hayes seems like a guy who slows down a bit into his 30s which seems to oppose JB's attempt to build a faster team.

Johnssen - I've advocated for him a bit before, but it would probably depend on his ability to play center. I know he's played there recently-ish. But he seems to be much more of a winger.

Pirri/Carpenter -
Much more of 4th line center role-ish at this point.

I'll toss a few more names to the list that seems to be missing:

JT Miller - The only Lightning forward without an actual NTC in place (it kicks in 7/1). His production and role were reduced with the lightning last year, so he may welcome a larger role.

Kadri - Trading with the enemy, sure. But he does certainly fit the need we have.

Miller is not a regular center.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad