HF Habs: Off-Season Discussion Part III: Ain't Got No #1 Centre Edition

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
Management won't be able to present themselves as the perpetual overachieving underdog if they start talking about the Stanley Cup.

Yeah I guess if our goal is to make the playoffs each season they should be considered successful.

Great strategy.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I agree. But I think most fans would rather hear that our goal is the Stanley cup, even if it's just ear service.

The general feeling I got from that PC is that Bergevin is content with how we did, and has given up on developing Galchenyuk at centre.

What's that old saying about what happens to GM's who listen to fans???

I think MB is far from content with how the Habs season finished...I don't need him to spell out his entire plan during a press conference to know that.

Again...it means nothing

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
You're right, but bottom line I wasn't happy with our playoff performance. The majority of us were screaming for a top 6 guy to help up front...MB said the prices were too high - ok I'll believe him.

But our conservative and PREDICTABLE offense made me want to puke in the playoffs. And the way he just made a joke about our PP and never really addressed the criticism about it really really made me angry.

Bottom line we weren't good enough and he should have taken ownership of that. This transition talk is getting annoying.

We just put too much pressure on Price to win...PK said it best...but MB didn't even mention how ANEMIC and PATHETIC our offense looked.

It boils my blood how he just made jokes. Last year I didn't feel this way...our guys were much more emotionally invested in the games...this year we just looked really flat imo.

I didn't like it, and if MB liked what he saw then by default I disagree with MB that this is the right coach for this team.

and what purpose, other than pleasing blood thirsty journalists and fans, would that serve?

Again, what's said publically and what's thought behind doors are 2 different things...you can get away with it in other markets, but not MTL.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

I think MB is far from content with how the Habs season finished...I don't need him to spell out his entire plan during a press conference to know that.

Again...it means nothing

That's pretty much what I've been saying since then.

Do you think if MT eyeballed a scoring winger or center that he would say it in the press conference? Then look like an idiot or have to make a desperately bad trade so he wouldn't look bad.

I'm sure he will try and add a couple forwards, but the price(as in a trade) has to be reasonable and the cap hit(for a UFA) also.

Status quo to me is still better than a desperate trade, the Gomez deal is the perfect example.

Capitano

Jul 14, 2003
Visit site
and what purpose, other than pleasing blood thirsty journalists and fans, would that serve?

Again, what's said publically and what's thought behind doors are 2 different things...you can get away with it in other markets, but not MTL.

You're right, but actions speak louder than words...we'll see what MB does with the top 6. My guess is he'll do nothing except keep his hands together in prayer that one of our prospects turns into a 30 goal scorer overnight.

But my biggest criticism of MB is that he is backing MT. We will not win with this coach.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
You're right, but actions speak louder than words...we'll see what MB does with the top 6. My guess is he'll do nothing except keep his hands together in prayer that one of our prospects turns into a 30 goal scorer overnight.

But my biggest criticism of MB is that he is backing MT. We will not win with this coach.

I think MT will do something, it might just not be the "big #1 center" everybody seems to be salivating for.

Might be a trade, might be a UFA signing or two.

I'm not a huge Vermette fan, but the fact that he flopped in Chicago might make him more affordable on a 2-3 year deal.

Soderberg is another guy that might be a solid addition. Both are big and can play center. Are they the "big #1 center" probably not but they help the top 6 at C or W. Both would be large upgrades on Parenteau(trade or buyout).

Eberle could be available, Yakupov also. MB will probably kick tires there.

I wonder if Colorado would move Duchene? Would allow them to re-sign ROR. He has #1 C skill but has struggled with consistency, maybe he'd fit better in the East? He's one guy I'd trade a 1st plus plus for. Nice contract, 4 more years at 6 mil AAV.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Habs have to improve their ability to score goals. Pacioretty can't do it by himself. Galchenyuk has 200 games of NHL experience, it is time he starts showing why he was drafted top 3.
Eller needs more offensive chances, play some PP.
Need at least one proven scorer or one with potential. Call me insane but I think Yakupov could be had for a decent price. Tinordi and a 1st perhaps...
Beaulieu needs to play top 4 minutes and on the PP.
Sign Petry asap! Petry/Beaulieu would make an excellent second pairing!

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I think MT will do something, it might just not be the "big #1 center" everybody seems to be salivating for.

I'm not a huge Vermette fan, but the fact that he flopped in Chicago might make him more affordable on a 2-3 year deal.

Soderberg is another guy that might be a solid addition. Both are big and can play center. Are they the "big #1 center" probably not but they help the top 6 at C or W. Both would be large upgrades on Parenteau(trade or buyout).

I wonder if Colorado would move Duchene? Would allow them to re-sign ROR. He has #1 C skill but has struggled with consistency, maybe he'd fit better in the East? He's one guy I'd trade a 1st plus plus for. Nice contract, 4 more years at 6 mil AAV.

Soderberg is intriguing. No thanks to Vermette

Nynja*

Habs have to improve their ability to score goals. Pacioretty can't do it by himself. Galchenyuk has 200 games of NHL experience, it is time he starts showing why he was drafted top 3.
Need at least one proven scorer or one with potential. Call me insane but I think Yakupov could be had for a decent price. Tinordi and a 1st perhaps...

It starts with the coach enforcing a more offensive approach. This team had no problem scoring 3.04 goals per game in 2013, and the top 8 point getters from that season are still around. They can score goals.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke

Vermette could be worth it if he his contract demands are shockingly low and Pleks gets moved. Otherwise, want nothing to do with him. Soderberg is a more intriguing option, but I wonder what his contract demands will be in a terrible UFA market.

Yakupov might be available, Eberle is probably out of the question. Yakupov would likely command a 1st rounder and a very good prospect OR a solid roster player like Gallagher. We can talk all day and night about performance, but Yakupov's draft pedigree still has an effect for now.

odishabs

Aug 29, 2008
To STL: Tomas Plekanec and a 2016 2nd round pick
To MTL: David Backes

To DAL: Alexei Emelin
To MTL: 2nd round pick

To ARI: PA Parenteau
To MTL: 4th round pick

Sign: Jeff Petry - 5yrs/5,000,000
Sign: Justin Williams - 2 yrs/4,000,000

Pacioretty - Backes - Gallagher

Galchenyuk - Desharnais - Williams

Hudon - Eller - Smith Pelly

Prust - Mitchell - Weise

Markov - Subban

Beaulieu - Petry

Tinordi - Gilbert

scratches: Pateryn and De La Rose

t0ny

Apr 8, 2008
Soderberg is intriguing. No thanks to Vermette

Soderberg is another guy that might be a solid addition. Both are big and can play center. Are they the "big #1 center" probably not but they help the top 6 at C or W.

On the Bruins board they were very iffy about him and didn't want him back on a 3.5M$+ contract last time i checked. And he seems to play C only.
Apparently he had a tough second half.
If no one is traded from our roster i don't think he will be a good fit for us.

Habset

Feb 21, 2008
Montreal
It'd be funny if after what was said in the PC, Bergevin goes ahead and trades Plekanec for Yakupov as it pretty much ensures that Galchenyuk will play Center next season

smirob

Jun 2, 2014

Again...it means nothing

Here's the problem. You take something without reading my post, and exaggerate to make a point.

If you don't think he looked/sounded content with our players/coach and season go back and re-watch.

He spent more time joking and dodging questions than talking about the season. Let's face it, despite the regular season record - we depended far too much on goaltending and really weren't that good. Yet if you watch, it seems like he either doesn't realize or doesn't care

But if the press conferences don't matter, don't worry about responding.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Here's the problem. You take something without reading my post, and exaggerate to make a point.

If you don't think he looked/sounded content with our players/coach and season go back and re-watch.

He spent more time joking and dodging questions than talking about the season. Let's face it, despite the regular season record - we depended far too much on goaltending and really weren't that good. Yet if you watch, it seems like he either doesn't realize or doesn't care

But if the press conferences don't matter, don't worry about responding.

A press conference is news-filler for journalists. It's not intended to ruffle feathers or map out who's on the trading block. It's hype, simple PR, nothing more. What Bergevin said, his tone of voice, his body language, his attempted humour -- none of it unlocks the secret code to the Habs 2015/16 season. I can't believe people are taking it so damn seriously.

gusfring

Jul 4, 2006
That's pretty much what I've been saying since then.

Do you think if MT eyeballed a scoring winger or center that he would say it in the press conference? Then look like an idiot or have to make a desperately bad trade so he wouldn't look bad.

I'm sure he will try and add a couple forwards, but the price(as in a trade) has to be reasonable and the cap hit(for a UFA) also.

Status quo to me is still better than a desperate trade, the Gomez deal is the perfect example.

No, but what he could say is that simply making the playoffs is no longer the goal.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Still better than getting eliminated in the 1st round.... like Babcock this year! :sarcasm:

No joke, that coach is soooo good that we beat them 4 times out of 4 this year. I wish we had a coach like this it would be amazing! :)

so, Ted Nolan is better than Therrien ??

Nynja*

To STL: Tomas Plekanec and a 2016 2nd round pick
To MTL: David Backes

To DAL: Alexei Emelin
To MTL: 2nd round pick

To ARI: PA Parenteau
To MTL: 4th round pick

Sign: Jeff Petry - 5yrs/5,000,000
Sign: Justin Williams - 2 yrs/4,000,000

Pacioretty - Backes - Gallagher

Galchenyuk - Desharnais - Williams

Hudon - Eller - Smith Pelly

Prust - Mitchell - Weise

Markov - Subban

Beaulieu - Petry

Tinordi - Gilbert

scratches: Pateryn and De La Rose

And with what money do you resign Chucky?

Capitano

Jul 14, 2003
Visit site

Yep, this is the year Chucky has to bring it to show us the player he can be.

I don't think Eller will ever get a chance to expand upon his role with this coach behind the bench.

I would trade for Yakupov in a second if Edmonton would take that deal.

And this next year is also a huge year for Beaulieu...he looked more comfortable and confident last year, hopefully he starts to take the next step offensively as well.

I'm still very upset at our post-season performance though...it's too soon to be optimistic for me because I'm really angry at Therrien and MB.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

Well if he does nothing, I don't think it will be for lack of effort.

Honestly, it is going to be VERY difficult for the Habs to add what they need. The Habs aren't filled with A level prospects, they don't have additional draft picks and the players on their current roster who teams would want (Price, Subban, Pacioretty, Gallagher, Galchenyuk) aren't going to be moved.

The Habs are stuck in a difficult position...hence why I've said that I would not be surprised in the least if Plekanec is dealt. He doesn't have as much cache as the players mentioned above, but he does have some good value IMO and his contract is coming to an end at the conclusion of next season, so something has to give there.

One thing is for sure, the Habs need at least 2 more legit top 6 forwards...hopefully they can get creative and trade for 1 and the other potentially emerges from one of our prospects (see Andrighetto or Scherbak or Hudon).

But that's a lot of 'best case scenario'

Capitano

Jul 14, 2003
Visit site
Well if he does nothing, I don't think it will be for lack of effort.

Honestly, it is going to be VERY difficult for the Habs to add what they need. The Habs aren't filled with A level prospects, they don't have additional draft picks and the players on their current roster who teams would want (Price, Subban, Pacioretty, Gallagher, Galchenyuk) aren't going to be moved.

The Habs are stuck in a difficult position...hence why I've said that I would not be surprised in the least if Plekanec is dealt. He doesn't have as much cache as the players mentioned above, but he does have some good value IMO and his contract is coming to an end at the conclusion of next season, so something has to give there.

One thing is for sure, the Habs need at least 2 more legit top 6 forwards...hopefully they can get creative and trade for 1 and the other potentially emerges from one of our prospects (see Andrighetto or Scherbak or Hudon).

But that's a lot of 'best case scenario'

In reality I don't think our roster is all that bad, but I just dislike the system we play and total mindless offensive presence.

We have Carey Price, I get it, MB says defense wins championships, that's great, I agree, but we just looked miserable in the playoffs imo.

Re-sign Petry, trade Plekanec for a scoring winger.

The pro scouting has to do their due diligence to find players that are undervalued by their teams...those are the guys you have to go after imo.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
In reality I don't think our roster is all that bad, but I just dislike the system we play and total mindless offensive presence.

We have Carey Price, I get it, MB says defense wins championships, that's great, I agree, but we just looked miserable in the playoffs imo.

Re-sign Petry, trade Plekanec for a scoring winger.

The pro scouting has to do their due diligence to find players that are undervalued by their teams...those are the guys you have to go after imo.

Our roster is better than not-bad. It's a legit playoff team that's been near the top of the EC the last three seasons, which includes seasons when Price was merely good (2013) and merely top-5 (2014). In other words, even without Vezina/Hart Price from 2015, the Habs are a winning team, albeit not at 110-points.

The only weakness is another forward who can bury pucks. A pretty fundamental weakness I admit, but a very focused one. With Petry, plus an emerging Beaulieu and Pateryn, the D is set. So is the secondary scoring and solid two-way play up-front (in theory). As we saw this playoffs, Habs can play a solid shutdown game against strong offensive teams, while generating a good amount of chances. Considering we played Tampa as tough as the Rangers have so far, that's a good sign. Just need better hands to finish those chances. Assuming we don't get a 1st-line forward via trade or UFA, that pair of hands will have to come from one of our top prospects. I doubt Andrighetto, Hudon, Scherbak or Reway will become the next Tyler Johnson, but if any of them show genuine shooting finesse, it might be enough. I'll settle for two solid 2nd lines if we can't get a powerful 1st-line. With a high-end defence and goaltending in place, improving our offence from bottom-tier to mid-pack would make a huge difference.

I've been a big Plekanec fan and still think he's very valuable to the Habs game, but I could see using him as the main piece in a trade for more offensive potential. Whoever we'd get would have to have more potential than simply replacing Plek's 20 goals.

Last edited:

luthar

Nov 29, 2011
Mtl
And with what money do you resign Chucky?

Backes = +4.5M
Plek = -6.0M

Emelin = -4.1M
PAP = -4M

Williams = +5M
Petry = +4M
==============
Total => -13.5 + 14.1M = +0.6M

These moves have no impact on our cap space (...+0.6M) since they even out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad