HF Habs: Off-Season Discussion Part III: Ain't Got No #1 Centre Edition

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
We've got 4 offensive minded centers: Plekanec, Galchenyuk, Desharnais, and Eller.

Our problem is on the wing: we don't have enough offense after Pacioretty and Gallagher.

Bergevin is right that bringing in a scorer probably can't be done via traditional trade. I think though that it has to be done ostensibly as trading for a rental at the deadline and then resigning them. That's what happened with Gaborik (L.A.), Kovalchuk(N.J.), Kovalev(mtl), Petry(?),etc... Prices are much cheaper at the deadline. It's too bad the game was rapidly changing towards a speed game when we got Vanek. He's just too slow to be as effective in the game now.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
We've got 4 offensive minded centers: Plekanec, Galchenyuk, Desharnais, and Eller.

Our problem is on the wing: we don't have enough offense after Pacioretty and Gallagher.

Bergevin is right that bringing in a scorer probably can't be done via traditional trade. I think though that it has to be done ostensibly as trading for a rental at the deadline and then resigning them. That's what happened with Gaborik (L.A.), Kovalchuk(N.J.), Kovalev(mtl), Petry(?),etc... Prices are much cheaper at the deadline. It's too bad the game was rapidly changing towards a speed game when we got Vanek. He's just too slow to be as effective in the game now.

They need to get a 40 goal guy that plays on the right side to slot everyone down a spot, and put Galchenyuk at C. The latter is easy, but the former is tough to do.

FlyingKostitsyn

Mar 7, 2008
Quebec
They need to get a 40 goal guy that plays on the right side to slot everyone down a spot, and put Galchenyuk at C. The latter is easy, but the former is tough to do.

Very tough to do. No right wingers scored 40 goals last season.

I think another 30 goal scorer would be great tho ;)

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
They don't even need a 40 goal scorer. They just need one more competent Winger, while the other spot on the wing should be filled by a rookie....and of course Chucky should be playing centre. The problem on the wings is that it has gotten progressively worse. The team went from Cole to Ryder to Briere to Parenteau who has been the worst of all 4 players. Then there is the fact that we technically replaced Gionta's position with Sekac...then never used Sekac in that position and then proceeded to trade him for DSP who is an even bigger project than Sekac.

I think it's much easier to acquire a 20-25 goal scoring winger than it is a #1 centre. We have the assets to acquire the former and we potentially have the latter, but refuse to give him an extended look. For three years MB said they drafted Galchenyuk to be a centre, so use him there. The transition won't be seamless, but it has to happen eventually. He needs to make the mistakes at the centre for him to learn that position.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I love how people are now speculating that Galchenyuk had attitude issues and that's why he's not playing center. I mean, you have the coach who gets caught flat out lying saying Galchenyuk approached him to go back to the wing, but ya, it's the kid that has a crap attitude.
Not to mention, all year, we were told how super duper amazing this group of guys is. How they all get along really well, everything is peachy.

Now, because some can't give the slightest criticism towards the coach, they opt to speculate he has attitude problem.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
I love how people are now speculating that Galchenyuk had attitude issues and that's why he's not playing center. I mean, you have the coach who gets caught flat out lying saying Galchenyuk approached him to go back to the wing, but ya, it's the kid that has a crap attitude.
Not to mention, all year, we were told how super duper amazing this group of guys is. How they all get along really well, everything is peachy.

Now, because some can't give the slightest criticism towards the coach, they opt to speculate he has attitude problem.

It's not speculation. LeBrun said Galchenyuk has some growing up to do. Ward said he can't see eye-to-eye with Therrien and Tremblay said Galchenyuk had bad body language when the assistants told him to work on something at practice.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Very tough to do. No right wingers scored 40 goals last season.

I think another 30 goal scorer would be great tho ;)

I meant potential at least. Like Phil Kessel hasn't scored 40 goals, but he's capable of it. Ideally they need to do something like Philadelphia did with Voracek. Get a guy who is on the verge of breaking out for someone who is established but you can replace.

Who is saying he has attitude issues? I know I made a comment about how Bergevin is playing a dangerous game by giving him the Subban negotiation treatment because he's not the same type of personality. Don't think he's a baby or not going to fight through it, just think he's acting like everyone is Subban, when they're clearly not.

It's not speculation. LeBrun said Galchenyuk has some growing up to do. Ward said he can't see eye-to-eye with Therrien and Tremblay said Galchenyuk had bad body language when the assistants told him to work on something at practice.

It can't be easy to play the game the exact opposite way that got you into the NHL. "You're a ****ing grinding team, deal with it"

"Well coach, I'm not a grinder, I'm a finesse player"

Last edited by a moderator:

Compile

Feb 27, 2008
In an Igloo

Where did you hear any of this?
Source?

Compile

Feb 27, 2008
In an Igloo
I heard Ward say that with my own ears, if that helps. He said it on TSN690. As for Lebrun, I never heard that one.

Who the hell can see eye-to-eye with MT besides Patches and DD. Its not that difficult to see an offensive player being turned into a grinder and him not agreeing with his coach.

Pacioretty is the only one that I've heard say the system is fine. Everyone else is the opposite.
So I guess Subban, Galch, Eller, Price etc are in the same boat. :handclap:

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Who the hell can see eye-to-eye with MT besides Patches and DD. Its not that difficult to see an offensive player being turned into a grinder and him not agreeing with his coach.

Pacioretty is the only one that I've heard say the system is fine. Everyone else is the opposite.
So I guess Subban, Galch, Eller, Price etc are in the same boat. :handclap:

My powers of deduction show the following players not with Therrien

1. Subban
2. Eller
3. Galchenyuk
4. Parenteau (who cares)
5. Price

I'm sure there are more, but they aren't as vocal about it. Price is hard to tell because he's so calm and gives his team a lot of praise. But his comments did have an undertone of disgust in the way they played offensively.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
Where did you hear any of this?
Source?

LeBrun said this yesterday on TSN, you can look it up on TSN's podcast. It's even the title of the podcast. Tremblay said this on Les Amateurs de Sports' round table with Danny Dubé and Ron.

Compile

Feb 27, 2008
In an Igloo
My powers of deduction show the following players not with Therrien

1. Subban
2. Eller
3. Galchenyuk
4. Parenteau (who cares)
5. Price

I'm sure there are more, but they aren't as vocal about it. Price is hard to tell because he's so calm and gives his team a lot of praise. But his comments did have an undertone of disgust in the way they played offensively.

Beaulieu, Prust, Weise, DLR, Gallagher, Emelin.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Why would Prust, Weise or DLR dislike Therrien? They get more than they deserve. Beaulieu I could see, but he's still a young guy trying to cut his teeth.

I don't think Prust is huge on Therrien, Prust never got a clear role under this regime.

I feel a lots of players are on the fence when it come to MT, they could quickly change camp if the team goes through a bad stretch.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
Tremblay saying anything makes me want to believe the opposite. That imbecile long ago destroyed any reason to take him seriously.

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014
They don't even need a 40 goal scorer. They just need one more competent Winger, while the other spot on the wing should be filled by a rookie....and of course Chucky should be playing centre. The problem on the wings is that it has gotten progressively worse. The team went from Cole to Ryder to Briere to Parenteau who has been the worst of all 4 players. Then there is the fact that we technically replaced Gionta's position with Sekac...then never used Sekac in that position and then proceeded to trade him for DSP who is an even bigger project than Sekac.

I think it's much easier to acquire a 20-25 goal scoring winger than it is a #1 centre. We have the assets to acquire the former and we potentially have the latter, but refuse to give him an extended look. For three years MB said they drafted Galchenyuk to be a centre, so use him there. The transition won't be seamless, but it has to happen eventually. He needs to make the mistakes at the centre for him to learn that position.

Here you pointed out what got Bergevin due criticism for his presser yesterday. Despite all this talk about drafting him as a center, what concrete measure was taken to actually turn him into one? Ten games this year, in his 3rd season.

And now the message is slowly shifting. Kept saying they drafted a center, then yesterday it was "he might never play center", then in two years I guess it'll be "well he's now too comfortable at wing, don't want to screw him up by having him change position".

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
Tremblay saying anything makes me want to believe the opposite. That imbecile long ago destroyed any reason to take him seriously.

Pretty much. He's the kind of "analyst" that likes to use "body language" to criticize a player because he has not fact.

I hate RDS with their speculations and use it to bash a player.

Eller still gets bashed on RDS because he said he was more comfortable at center. Something DD just said a couple of days ago but they will never bash DD for it.

habalifeok

Oct 28, 2013
Beaulieu, Prust, Weise, DLR, Gallagher, Emelin.

!00%wrong about Gallagher probably 95% wrong about Prust and Weise .Beaulieu has worst attitude on the team . Galchenyuk I doubt has a bad attitude. He is frustrated and must mature mentaly and physically to realize his NHL potential. He was rushed. Major injury in junior, no AHL and injured first 2 years in NHL.
Best attitudes on the team Gallagher,Price,Pacioretty and Subban.

Bill McNeal

Jul 19, 2003
Montreal
Habs need a #1 center, but the coach plays the only guy who has the potential to be one on the wing and the GM thinks the only way he can get one is by trading a guy like Price, despite history showing that's pretty much never the case.

Weve-tried-nothing-and-were-all-out-of-ideas.jpg

Compile

Feb 27, 2008
In an Igloo
!00%wrong about Gallagher probably 95% wrong about Prust and Weise .Beaulieu has worst attitude on the team . Galchenyuk I doubt has a bad attitude. He is frustrated and must mature mentaly and physically to realize his NHL potential. He was rushed. Major injury in junior, no AHL and injured first 2 years in NHL.
Best attitudes on the team Gallagher,Price,Pacioretty and Subban.

Wrong.
So very wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad