HF Habs: Off-Season Discussion Part III: Ain't Got No #1 Centre Edition

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Throwing away prime years of Price/Pacioretty on their bargain contracts would be asinine.

Bergevin needs to start actually improving the team, instead of prattling on about the future and this god damn inane "transition year" nonsense.

I agree with you.

If they were actually transitioning this past season.. then Galchenyuk and Eller would've been 1/2 down the middle. Ghetto and Hudon would've had extended auditions. Tinordi would have played some games. Beaulieu would have been paired with Subban.

It was just a bogus excuse. Just two buddies trying to keep the millions rolling in for as long as possible. They don't give a **** about actually winning the cup. They care about winning enough to not get fired.

Last edited by a moderator:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Yes, they don't like the idea of trading the best center we have when we are already lacking at that position. So it really depends on the return. I'd be all for trading Plekanec, but going into next year with DD-Eller-Galchenyuk or DLR or AHL prospect, is one heck of a stupid plan.
Sure, it might work out, IF Eller and Galchenyuk step up. But it's so stupid to gamble that way. They wasted a year by not finding out what Galchenyuk's and Eller's potential could be as offensive centers. And quite frankly, DD has no business on the top 2 lines.
So ya, it's all good to trade Plekanec for a good winger. It could work. It could also be disastrous.

Disastrous? Come on...we're not talking about taking Price or Subban out of the lineup here.

That being said, agreed, i'm all for trading Plekanec in the right deal. He's a quality player, so I would expect quality coming back.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
My plan:

Waive/Trade DD (mid-round pick if we can)
Waive/Trade PAP (mid-round pick if we can)
Trade Markov for a promising young D prospect close to breaking the NHL from a contending team (plus a draft pick)
Re-Sign Petry
Sign Frolik
Move Galchenyuk to center
Promote Eller to 2C
Put Plekanec in a 3C role.
Re-sign Mitchell

Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Frolik (Galchenyuk has a natural goal scorer and two wingers who are great defensively, carrying a lot of the burden for him and allowing him to be creative offensively)
Hudon-Eller-Gallagher (This line can play both ways).
DLR-Plekanec-Andrighetto (Plekanec and JDLR are playing the shut-down role, Ghetto learns to play in his own end with these guys taking pressure, while Plekanec can still play offensively with Ghetto and JDLR has the ability to develop his offense here as well)
Prust-Mitchell-DSP/Weise (Typical crash and bang fourth line).

Beaulieu-Subban (increase Beaulieu's responsibility and develop)
Emelin-Petry (Worked in the play-offs..)
Tinordi-Gilbert (Time to develop Tinner at the NHL level.. Gilberts mobility and puck movement can help him)
Pateryn

Price
Toker
Can we hire you to replace Bergevin? Or at least have you go scout out a GM who'll implement this?

I think it's pretty freaking clear that Bergevin isn't going to make these kind of moves, Therrien is too wedded to his garbage system to adapt his lineup (could you imagine the meltdown he'd have if Bergevin axed Desharnais? :laugh:), and Bergevin is too buddy-buddy with Therrien to force his hand or fire his worthless ass.

Bergevin is making the kind of mistakes now that will prevent us from ever winning a Cup during Price's prime, and making jokey excuses about them in post-mortem press conferences. There will be a special place in hell reserved for his squandering of the enormous opportunity we have to end our two-decade Cup drought.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
Couldn't find a draft thread:

Looking at where we pick, I hope MB goes for size at either LW or D. Two names that stand out are:

Brandon Carlo : dropped from 16th (mid-term) to 25th (final), 6'5, 200lb RHD
Paul Bittner: dropped from 19th (mid-term) to 26th (final), 6'-4, 205lb LW,

We have a TON of small prospects in the pipeline. I wan't MB to draft a BIG guy this year. Bringing in someone like Carlo could allow us to move on from Tinordi (if the return is right)....

If either of these guys are available I think it would be a good move.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013

Looking at where we pick, I hope MB goes for size at either LW or D. Two names that stand out are:

We have a TON of small prospects in the pipeline. I wan't MB to draft a BIG guy this year. Bringing in someone like Carlo could allow us to move on from Tinordi (if the return is right)....

It's stickied at the top of the board.... and you won't find many fans of Carlo there, he's a ND for a lot of people (including me).

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu

Look in the stickied threads. I wonder if Kevin Stevens' son Luke (6'4" 200) has game, beyond his pedigree.

Eggbeater

Jul 4, 2007
For what it's worth, earlier this afternoon I saw none other than Guy Boucher in a Kirkland restaurant. Hopefully he's in town to meet our management (I've always wanted him as a coach), but it's more likely that he just decided to spend the summer here. I didn't feel like bothering him to ask.

HabsDieHard*

For what it's worth, earlier this afternoon I saw none other than Guy Boucher in a Kirkland restaurant. Hopefully he's in town to meet our management (I've always wanted him as a coach), but it's more likely that he just decided to spend the summer here. I didn't feel like bothering him to ask.

Good on ya, must be annoying for guys like that to have people pester them about career choices.

Hiring Guy Boucher is the exact type of move a smart, proactive GM who realizes that his team needs help to get to the next step.

Unfortunately this team has a coward for a head coach who would never allow it, and an incompetent for a GM who caters to his buddies every whim.

So while we can dream about it, it will never happen.

Nynja*

Could have said "I hope we'll see you around town a lot more", implication without actually saying it.

HabsDieHard*

Could have said "I hope we'll see you around town a lot more", implication without actually saying it.

Haha I changed my mind ,this would have been the best thing to do.

With a big wink at the end too. :laugh:

Eggbeater

Jul 4, 2007
I was too busy destroying my giant Cora afternoon breakfast. It would've sounded like "MFFHHH MUSHHF FFHHS BFFF" with a wink and some spit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad