Rumor: OFF-SEASON AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) XC

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
You say that as though one thread can contain this smile:

radulovsmile.jpg

Bordy might have some competition for team hunk...

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Wishing all the extensions magically get done tomorrow of course, but realistically by the end of July I think we'll see:

EJ: 6 x $6.5m
Barrie: 7 x $5.25m
MacK: 3 x $5.75m or 8 x $7.50m

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Wishing all the extensions magically get done tomorrow of course, but realistically by the end of July I think we'll see:

EJ: 6 x $6.5m
Barrie: 7 x $5.25m
MacK: 3 x $5.75m or 8 x $7.50m

I don't think there's any chance we see a Mackinnon or Barrie signing in 2015.

Matheus

Jan 22, 2015
Rio Grande Do Sul

unfortunately i agree.. but the way how offer sheets become more usual and more dangerous weapons in the offseason must be a concern of Joe/Roy. Re-sign as soon as possible with Mack and Barrie and maybe jump some of possible bridge deals for the top players

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
unfortunately i agree.. but the way how offer sheets become more usual and more dangerous weapons in the offseason must be a concern of Joe/Roy. Re-sign as soon as possible with Mack and Barrie and maybe jump some of possible bridge deals for the top players

Hopefully a deal gets done shortly after the season ends and well before July 1. This is part of the reason (but certainly not all the reason) I want Mackinnon playing centre next year. Mack seems like a good humble kid but nobody knows how things may go come negotiation time. I want as many things as possible to go his way next year so he sees no reason to believe the Avs aren't the team he belongs with for his entire career. Those little things go a long way in agreeing to a friendly long term contract.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA

I'm not sure. I think you are probably right, but I'd like to see the FO continue to be proactive with the core types. I guess it will come down to the motivations of each side and how much they are willing to gamble that they will have more an advantage in negotiations by waiting. With the mostly cautious spending happening around the league this season, offering good and fair market contracts has to be appealing to both sides as many FAs are not garnering the money anticipated.

With Barrie, he is coming off a very good season. Avs should try to lock him up before he has a potentially better season, but at the same time, Barrie has to account for the risk his production and importance to the team may slip. I think both sides currently hold pretty even amount of leverage if they sign this summer while if they wait, both sides risk losing that balance. I see a win-win situation this offseason, where it is extremely possible one side can/will gain much more advantage going into next offseason.

With MacK, I see the Avs trying to get out ahead of the game like they did with Duchene and Landeskog. MacK will be a special player and locking him up long term at today's market can only serve as a benefit down the line. Imagine if StL had found a way to lock up Tarasenko last offseason. How much less would that long term deal have been? I added the 3 year deal because, while the AAV is still near the top of the Avs group, I could see MacK's side wanting to wait out the long term deal for when there is likely to be more revenue available and new contracts for players like Stamkos, Kopitar, Tavares, etc will have pushed up the market price for top end players.

Neither player is coming off a poor season, so neither should feel the Avs are trying to take advantage of that. Neither player is coming off what is likely a career season either, so the Avs should not feel much risk that they are overpaying in relation to future results.

e: this post really became candidate of the year for: TLDR yikes

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Wouldn't you call MacK coming off a poor season, at least statistically? But I don't think they can really get his price lower because of that, you'd still pay quite a premium for his potential. I understand when he actually does hit the 30 goals or whatever then it goes up even more. Maybe they could get his camp interested now is it's a long deal with good money but there's really no downside to him waiting from his perspective.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Wouldn't you call MacK coming off a poor season, at least statistically? But I don't think they can really get his price lower because of that, you'd still pay quite a premium for his potential. I understand when he actually does hit the 30 goals or whatever then it goes up even more. Maybe they could get his camp interested now is it's a long deal with good money but there's really no downside to him waiting from his perspective.

This seems pretty spot on to me. They Avs will have to give him a good offer for him to consider it. I think they would be very smart to do that.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Morning thoughts:

1. I am also of the opinion that Barrie and MacKinnon will not sign contracts until next summer. Barrie is being led by not only the Newport agency, but by Pat Morris directly just like O'Reilly was. Newport never go with security, they bank on best case scenario and their players hitting all of their goals. If Barrie just came off a 50 point season, Morris will pump his tires to aim for a 60 point season and more money instead of a long-term deal after one 50 point season. Add in that it's expected to be a bounce-back year for not only the whole team, but specifically our powerplay as well, and Barrie has very little reason to sign before next summer. MacK is the same but even more obvious. He just had a subpar year, injuries and whatnot, and would want to come back strong. A bridge deal signed this summer would be awful for him, and as much as we want to discuss a long-term deal for big money, the reality is the Avalanche won't offer him $7m AAV or whatever just yet. MacK's camp should know he easily has the potential to be our best player, and would subsequently be paid as such, especially with the cap space we have for these extensions. His best bet is to have a great season and look at $8m AAV or so next summer.

2 - Interesting to hear we only offered Sekera and Martin each a 3 year term. Money wasn't the issue, as per Patrick, leading me to believe that the annual dollar amount proposed to Sekera may very well have been higher than Edmonton's deal. Sekera wanted term and got the 6 years from the Oilers. Glad we missed out on Martin and he got the extra year from San Jose. While every team adores their prospects, it's hard not to get excited about a pipeline of Bigras/Meloche/Siemens/Geertsen/Wood/Mironov/Boikov/Butcher. Of course, more than half of them will never amount to anything, but we have a very deep prospect pool on D and it's obvious that Roykic have faith in them. Refusing to give more than 3 years to one of the UFA defensemen means we expect a top 4 of EJ/Barrie/Zads/Bigras by that time. Management have faith in building from within and so do I. They've earned that faith.

3 - It's going to be a very long season regarding Radulov rumors and it probably won't go sway. He'll go win another KHL scoring title, putting up something silly like 80 points in 50 games again. We'll probably do well this year and get increased media attention. The Radulov discussion won't go away, so we'll just have to deal with it and not get distracted from winning hockey games. If he comes, he comes. If he doesn't, we go with the horses we have. I'm confident he would love to work for Patrick again, but that's a year away from now.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Barrie being led by Morris directly?

Sounds great...he's pretty much bested the Avs in a lot of his recent negotiations with the team.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
If Barrie doesn't sign this offseason and he doesn't have an ideal season next year, he's not going to sign long term and the Avs will be in a tough spot.

It's in everyone's best interest to sign this offseason and avoid contract disputes going forward.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
I understand the thinking of not offering Sekera more term, and 6 years is steep but I would have liked it more than Francois for 3 seeing as Sekera in year 6 will be the same age as Francois in year 1...

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
I understand the thinking of not offering Sekera more term, and 6 years is steep but I would have liked it more than Francois for 3 seeing as Sekera in year 6 will be the same age as Francois in year 1...

That's not really the point, though. In year 4, we will have cap flexibility with Beauchemin's contract coming off and it's more than likely he is already a very solid, 3rd pairing defenseman in year 3. Sekera would probably still be very good in years 4/5/6, but the Avs don't want to lock that much money into a guy when they feel they have 8 or so good D prospects with a couple of them hopefully in the top 4 by then.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
In that third year Beauchemin can take Stuart's spot on the third pair. Paying Sekera long term that's not what you do with him, you don't put someone there and pay a bottom pair guy for 4 years.

And speaking of, I watched a little Mironov in the WC last night, boy I hope they have an idea how to get him to come over here.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Considering it was a quote from Roy, I'd say it's pretty obvious they didn't want to go more than 3 years.

ah, damn it. just read a small quote from kiszla on twitter.

In that third year Beauchemin can take Stuart's spot on the third pair. Paying Sekera long term that's not what you do with him, you don't put someone there and pay a bottom pair guy for 4 years.

i'd say it's pretty unlikely that both zadorov and bigras pass sekera. very unlikely that they'll do it so soon.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
IMO Zadorov will be a better defensemen than Sekera soon. Not for next season, but solid chance in 16-17 IMO. Bigras is probably a year after that. I totally understand not giving Sekera a long deal if you feel the kids are going to contribute at a high level soon.

I think if the Avs didn't get Zadorov they would have made a much harder push for Sekera and giving him term. With Zadorov they got a kid that has legit top pairing potential and isn't far away from it.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia

And speaking of, I watched a little Mironov in the WC last night, boy I hope they have an idea how to get him to come over here.

I'd like to think that as well, he'd be an upgrade over Guenin and Holden right now, not to mention how he might look a couple of years down the road.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
As our D prospects start to progress Id expect our needs for FA D to be lower and lower. We will more likely to sign older 4-6 D men than the younger guys that go to FA

In year 3 Sekera will have to fight for one of the top spots on the Oiler because of Nurse and Klefbom.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Morning thoughts:

1. I am also of the opinion that Barrie and MacKinnon will not sign contracts until next summer. Barrie is being led by not only the Newport agency, but by Pat Morris directly just like O'Reilly was. Newport never go with security, they bank on best case scenario and their players hitting all of their goals. If Barrie just came off a 50 point season, Morris will pump his tires to aim for a 60 point season and more money instead of a long-term deal after one 50 point season. Add in that it's expected to be a bounce-back year for not only the whole team, but specifically our powerplay as well, and Barrie has very little reason to sign before next summer. MacK is the same but even more obvious. He just had a subpar year, injuries and whatnot, and would want to come back strong. A bridge deal signed this summer would be awful for him, and as much as we want to discuss a long-term deal for big money, the reality is the Avalanche won't offer him $7m AAV or whatever just yet. MacK's camp should know he easily has the potential to be our best player, and would subsequently be paid as such, especially with the cap space we have for these extensions. His best bet is to have a great season and look at $8m AAV or so next summer.

2 - Interesting to hear we only offered Sekera and Martin each a 3 year term. Money wasn't the issue, as per Patrick, leading me to believe that the annual dollar amount proposed to Sekera may very well have been higher than Edmonton's deal. Sekera wanted term and got the 6 years from the Oilers. Glad we missed out on Martin and he got the extra year from San Jose. While every team adores their prospects, it's hard not to get excited about a pipeline of Bigras/Meloche/Siemens/Geertsen/Wood/Mironov/Boikov/Butcher. Of course, more than half of them will never amount to anything, but we have a very deep prospect pool on D and it's obvious that Roykic have faith in them. Refusing to give more than 3 years to one of the UFA defensemen means we expect a top 4 of EJ/Barrie/Zads/Bigras by that time. Management have faith in building from within and so do I. They've earned that faith.

3 - It's going to be a very long season regarding Radulov rumors and it probably won't go sway. He'll go win another KHL scoring title, putting up something silly like 80 points in 50 games again. We'll probably do well this year and get increased media attention. The Radulov discussion won't go away, so we'll just have to deal with it and not get distracted from winning hockey games. If he comes, he comes. If he doesn't, we go with the horses we have. I'm confident he would love to work for Patrick again, but that's a year away from now.

Solid points TPS although I'm not that confidant in our prospect pool... I do agree it has some promise.

As for Mack/barrie...I see Mack getting a bridge deal probably next year and Barrie will get his fat contract at some point doesn't really matter as long as it doesn't become ROR 2.0.

viach

Aug 5, 2007
Hocky Buzz Rumor

On Phaneuf...
The Kings have been trying, but now it appears they have backed off. The Isles, Avs, and Ducks are watching this situation, but all are telling me they are getting the impression that he is at least starting the season in Toronto.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Hocky Buzz Rumor

On Phaneuf...
The Kings have been trying, but now it appears they have backed off. The Isles, Avs, and Ducks are watching this situation, but all are telling me they are getting the impression that he is at least starting the season in Toronto.

LOL at "are telling me."

The Avs wont tell Friedman or Bobby Mac anything, alone "Hockey Buzz"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad