Rumor: OFF-SEASON AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) XC

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
And EJ could surprise us all (both good or bad) for what he signs for. No matter what, EJ re-signing for whatever gets it done is a "win" for the Avalanche (because they NEED him)...however, could you imagine the joy for people here if he signed for anything in the 5M range (5-5.9)? There'd be a lot of happy folks. Myself, I don't believe that happens, I think his new contract starts with a "6" (and that's if we're lucky and he wants to do the Avs a favor).

I wonder if EJ is going to set the bar for salary on defense. The way Duchene did creating that internal cap. Basically... Is Avs ever paying Barrie more than EJ? Cause if EJ takes a friendly deal and Barrie puts up 50-60 points again.. Newport might cause some trouble.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Out of curiosity...if there is an expansion, how does the ~500M expansion fee per team affect the salary cap? Is it considered revenue?

That's a real good question Ex-Pat (SOOO good to see you back here).

I would think that it SHOULD be counted as part of Hockey Related Revenue, and there split with the NHLPA (and thus potentially helping the salary cap go up)...

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I wonder if EJ is going to set the bar for salary on defense. The way Duchene did creating that internal cap. Basically... Is Avs ever paying Barrie more than EJ? Cause if EJ takes a friendly deal and Barrie puts up 50-60 points again.. Newport might cause some trouble.

A valid concern, I would agree.

Though, I would also hope that the Avs have learned their lesson vis-à-vis the "Duchene Cap" and how it may/may not relate to other players/positions.

I have no problem with them wanting a Salary Structure, but when the rest of the league pays Defenseman the bigger money for either A) a Norris trophy; or B) points (and those who win the Norris putting up said points), then Barrie is going to likely earn more money than EJ anyway...unless EJ can become a solid 40+ point defender while still putting up his defensive play.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
It affects the cap? I thought it didnt?

I'd be real interested in hearing the Owners try to claim that an expansion fee, for a new hockey team, isn't counted as "Hockey Related Revenue"....

But I do admit, that on this particular issue, I don't know how an expansion fee would impact the salary cap (if it even does).

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
"Is Alex Radulov one of the essential elements for us to win? This is a team. I would have to let go of people to fulfill the dollar commitment to Alex by trading Alex Tanguay and Brad Stuart to free the millions of dollars to sign Alex Radulov, and I don't think the fans would be happy with me. I had to be responsible for the team."

Who said a similar thing???

Don't make the same mistake again, Avs. Go for the big fish, let the little ones go.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
A valid concern, I would agree.

Though, I would also hope that the Avs have learned their lesson vis-à-vis the "Duchene Cap" and how it may/may not relate to other players/positions.

I have no problem with them wanting a Salary Structure, but when the rest of the league pays Defenseman the bigger money for either A) a Norris trophy; or B) points (and those who win the Norris putting up said points), then Barrie is going to likely earn more money than EJ anyway...unless EJ can become a solid 40+ point defender while still putting up his defensive play.

Yeah, I pretty much agree. And things change. We can't just decide today that EJ is our best paid defenseman going forward, period. What happens if Barrie hits 70 points next year? He likely wont but not rulling anything out cause he put up 50+ next to Guenin. Same can be said for MacKinnon. Are we really planning on keeping that 6M per player internal cap if MacKinnon hits 80-90 points? Which I think he will some day. He isn't settling for 6M then.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
I'd be real interested in hearing the Owners try to claim that an expansion fee, for a new hockey team, isn't counted as "Hockey Related Revenue"....

But I do admit, that on this particular issue, I don't know how an expansion fee would impact the salary cap (if it even does).

Well, it's explicitly stated in the negotiated CBA.

However, I'd imagine a bump in HRR due to high revenue from a new team.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
You pay EJ and MacKinnon whatever it takes, I don't care if their numbers start with a 7, obviously the lower the better. I bet his number will start with a 6. MacKinnon I really have no idea, a lot depends on this season. Barrie might price us out as a luxury we can't afford but let's not worry about that now.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
You pay EJ and MacKinnon whatever it takes, I don't care if their numbers start with a 7, obviously the lower the better. I bet his number will start with a 6. MacKinnon I really have no idea, a lot depends on this season. Barrie might price us out as a luxury we can't afford but let's not worry about that now.

Sometimes, i have a little difficulty seeing MacKinnon in the 6M range because he'll still have RFA years left. I could be wrong, but we'll have to see.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Sometimes, i have a little difficulty seeing MacKinnon in the 6M range because he'll still have RFA years left. I could be wrong, but we'll have to see.

after seeing brandon saad get 6 mil after his ELC, i'd think mack has his eyes set at bigger money.. would be positively surprised if not but not expecting it.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
after seeing brandon saad get 6 mil after his ELC, i'd think mack has his eyes set at bigger money.. would be positively surprised if not but not expecting it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that did buy them 2 of his UFA years, is that correct?

We'll just have to see how MacKinnon's agent negotiates for him. MacKinnon had a great first year, subpar second year, the third will play a big role in how he goes. I personally hope the Avs build in a "bridge contract" (like they did with Landeskog) and get him signed at a longterm deal that is palatable for both sides.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Correct me if I'm wrong, but that did buy them 2 of his UFA years, is that correct?

We'll just have to see how MacKinnon's agent negotiates for him. MacKinnon had a great first year, subpar second year, the third will play a big role in how he goes. I personally hope the Avs build in a "bridge contract" (like they did with Landeskog) and get him signed at a longterm deal that is palatable for both sides.

yes, but i'd assume mack also gets long-term deal. high picks, especially 1st overalls don't usually get bridge deals... EJ and yak being the lone exceptions for 1st overalls. we'll see but if mack's camp is willing to settle under 7 mil long-term, i think i'd lock him up... though signing him to 2-3 yr bridge has it's advantages.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Are players allowed to sign extensions early with their new clubs if they only sign a 1 year deal?

Define early? You can sign an extension of 1-8 years as soon as a player is in his last year of the contract.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Define early? You can sign an extension of 1-8 years as soon as a player is in his last year of the contract.

So could we sign Radulov to a 1 year deal with whatever capspace is left; and then sign a multi-year extension that uses some of the money freed up by Stuart, Iginla and (if he gets a 1 year deal) Tangs leaving the following summer, shortly afterwards? Would be a very russian solution to the pesky cap, and let the team gun for a cup before Iggy/Tangs/Beauch/Stuart leave, or in beauch's case fall off of a cliff.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
As Robin points out, it doesn't appear that buying out Stuart will do the Avs any good, he's counted as a 35+ contract.

And I'm not sure Barrie signs for 5.25M, if he did, that'd be amazing...same with EJ and his deal, 6M might be the floor for what he'll sign for.

IF the Avs go for Radulov, then that's it for Tanguay here, I don't foresee a way they can re-sign him and get Radulov, unless the Cap has a big increase (or they find a taker for Stuart)

I think we're going to be pleasantly surprised with EJ's next contract. Barrie will be a little tougher to predict because of the potential offensive explosion + Newport agency, but I predict EJ will sign something like 6x6 at the highest.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
it doesn't, it's not HRR.

It's why Bettman locking the players out so he could get a bigger percentage of their salaries was a complete joke. He knew they were going to get hundreds of millions of dollars in expansion and relocation fees from multiple new owners during the term of the CBA, that they weren't going to share with the players.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
So could we sign Radulov to a 1 year deal with whatever capspace is left; and then sign a multi-year extension that uses some of the money freed up by Stuart, Iginla and (if he gets a 1 year deal) Tangs leaving the following summer, shortly afterwards? Would be a very russian solution to the pesky cap, and let the team gun for a cup before Iggy/Tangs/Beauch/Stuart leave, or in beauch's case fall off of a cliff.

I guess we could do that, in theory.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!

You have to wait until January 1st I believe. Not that these thing ever happen.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
We will be fine to sign Tangs and get Radulov if that's what we wanted. Can always find a way to get rid of Stuart, look at the cap space ARZ needed. Plus I think Tangs signs for less than what he's making now.

If not, shed McLeod, Mitchell & Holden & Berra with Rantanen, Bleackley, Pickard & Siemens/Bigras as replacements. The cap should also go up. It will be tricky with the term though, because adding Radulov would mean likely losing 1 or 2 above in the long run (if all goes well)

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

I've been wondering if they'll go bridge with Nate, even if it means they'll have to pay more after. Just to ensure they have him under contract longer. Unless he dominates this season, then they'll go long term for sure.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
You have to wait until January 1st I believe. Not that these thing ever happen.

Figured there was some sort of length of time a player had to be with the team before being eligible for an extension. Half a year later seems mighty unlikely if that first year contract isn't at least closish to what he'll want, and even then. A note of comfort is that nothing about a Roy-Rads reunion would be typical, so them being the only player-GM duo to be comfortable with this kind of arrangement would not exactly shock me, especially with the kind of money Rads has already turned down from CZKA.

...so maybe Rads is really serious about wanting to change his NHL legacy while being reunited with Roy, and so it's a "come to colorado or stay with CZKA" thing for him where he picks one last go at the NHL over the money...that or MacK doesn't explode this year but just puts up ~65 like he did his rookie and so wants a bridge deal to prove he should be our highest paid player and make the kind of money Getzlaf and Perry make or more.

...or a Stuart/Iginla trade happens to free up the cash for Rads, and if it's Iggy, one last year of tangs; which is somehow the least likely scenario IMO. Unless Calgary wants Iginla back for his last year to make a run with their young core and Iggy is interested; which I'm also not expecting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad