Rumor: OFF-SEASON AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) XC

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
It would mean dumping Stuart and getting rid of Tanguay, but I think someone just made calculations and it was close, we could sign Rads to around $6 mil per season. Cap would probably go up as well. It really depends what kind of contract we will offer for MacKinnon/EJ/Barrie..

Well, I have to guess that the cheapest Mackinnon/EJ/Barrie come is 16M and I'm thinking more like 17M. I just did the calculation a few posts up. 16M would put us at 61.2M and 16 players on the roster.

They had to use the bonus cushion thing-a-majig to get the cap to go up this year thanks to the Canadian dollar and the Dollar is supposed to go down another 10C this year and they can't use the bonus again. So I doubt it goes up at all, and if it does it won't be much AT ALL.

Best case scenario? We have 12M to fill the last 7 Spots. With Radulov at 6M (probably a tad low) that leaves 6M for the last 6 spots. Better hope they're all ELC deals for 850,000.

Edit: Unless they can dump Stuart. I forgot that part. I think it's a pipe dream that they can trade him off. A buyout saves 2.4M. Plus they can get another 1M off of Berra if they bought him out as well. That would give a bit more flexibility at least.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
I don't know about Radulov. He's talented but has a questionable work ethic. He reminds me of Semin, who just got bought out and still remains unsigned.

If Radulov is interested in returning to the NHL I hope the Avs only offer a contract with short term (1 - 2 years) and with $6m or less AAV.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I personally do not count bonuses on ELCs because a) unless they are a top 10 player in the league they won't hit most of them and b) should that happen they can carry forward to the next year. If Chicago had to reserve bonus room for all their ELCs they'd never sign them.

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
pf0rbCB.png

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Unlikely. Why would he come back to the NHL for cheap when he can get a truckload of money in the KHL? I'm sure the Avs would have to make it at least worth while.

Because he's only making 1/3 the contracts value essentially. The Ruble is extremely weak at the moment. I think last time I calculated he was basically making 3-4 million US, it could be even less now.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Unlikely. Why would he come back to the NHL for cheap when he can get a truckload of money in the KHL? I'm sure the Avs would have to make it at least worth while.

But thats kind of my point, why come here in the first place and demand a ton of money from teams that arent exactly lining up to sign him. It sounds like to me HE is the one that wants to come back, so the onus is on him to take a good deal for whoever he signs with. It would be different if say teams were publicly clamoring for Rads to come back, but I dont see them doing that. Every GM has their own RFA s to sign and holes to fill. If you can fit him into your team , great, if not oh well.

And I hope the Avs take this route than tripping over themselves to sign him at the expense of Barrie or EJ.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm

That makes me think this Radulov thing could be impossible. What happens when all those ELC's are up? All share Iginlas money?

And I know some people deny it, but Stuarts deal can't be bought out and give cap relief, it is a 35+ deal.

Unless a big name is getting traded, I'm not sure we can fit Radulov into this.

Iginla, Comeau, Mitchell, McLeod, Stuart, Beauchemin, Holden and Berra taking up over 22M alone in 16/17. And I'm not sure Barrie and Mac are landing on 11.25M, could be more.

On the other hand, the cap could go up by a mill or two and Radulov might settle for less than 6M.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
That also assumes that the cap stays the same. It becomes a bit more "possible" if it increases, and obviously less "possible" if it stays the same, or decreases.

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
That also assumes that the cap stays the same. It becomes a bit more "possible" if it increases, and obviously less "possible" if it stays the same, or decreases.

Yes and no. No because I included some nearly impossible scenarios such as Berra and Stuart being bought out, which won't happen.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Yes and no. No because I included some nearly impossible scenarios such as Berra and Stuart being bought out, which won't happen.

As Robin points out, it doesn't appear that buying out Stuart will do the Avs any good, he's counted as a 35+ contract.

And I'm not sure Barrie signs for 5.25M, if he did, that'd be amazing...same with EJ and his deal, 6M might be the floor for what he'll sign for.

IF the Avs go for Radulov, then that's it for Tanguay here, I don't foresee a way they can re-sign him and get Radulov, unless the Cap has a big increase (or they find a taker for Stuart)

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
As Robin points out, it doesn't appear that buying out Stuart will do the Avs any good, he's counted as a 35+ contract.

And I'm not sure Barrie signs for 5.25M, if he did, that'd be amazing...same with EJ and his deal, 6M might be the floor for what he'll sign for.

IF the Avs go for Radulov, then that's it for Tanguay here, I don't foresee a way they can re-sign him and get Radulov, unless the Cap has a big increase (or they find a taker for Stuart)

Well I added the buyouts back into my revision, and neither one included Tanguay. The only way it's possible at all, is, Yes no more Tanguay, Stuart somehow gets traded with nothing coming back and the cap goes up by at least 2M

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Well I added the buyouts back into my revision, and neither one included Tanguay. The only way it's possible at all, is, Yes no more Tanguay, Stuart somehow gets traded with nothing coming back and the cap goes up by at least 2M

I don't think they're calculating the buyout properly at this time, which is probably part of the problem.

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
I don't think they're calculating the buyout properly at this time, which is probably part of the problem.

Part of what problem? The buyout I added was just fantasy it would never happen regardless of whether he's a 35+ or not. Either way there's no room for Radulov, unless, like I said Stuart is some how traded with no cap coming back AND the cap goes up by at least a couple million dollars. Even then, it leaves the Avs with maybe 2 million to play with and a lot of major question mark players. It's certainly not a cup contending team and yet we'd be right up at the ceiling.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Puh, getting Radulov is going to be tough. Even if he "just replaces Tanguay".

Our hope maybe lies in someone taking Holden/Berra/Stuart off our hands. Or McLeod or Mitchell getting replaced by cheaper players.

And I'm not sure we can count on the kids being serviceable NHL-players ready to go so early either. Would suprise me if we didn't have any busts.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Pretty much for Radulov to happen one of three things needs to happen. A) he doesn't ask for a huge salary B) one of EJ, MacKinnon, Barrie takes a lesser deal, which could be MacK on a bridge C) the cap goes up a little bit more to ~75M.

We need more pieces of the puzzle. What EJ is going to cost should go in first.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Pretty much for Radulov to happen one of three things needs to happen. A) he doesn't ask for a huge salary B) one of EJ, MacKinnon, Barrie takes a lesser deal, which could be MacK on a bridge C) the cap goes up a little bit more to ~75M.

We need more pieces of the puzzle. What EJ is going to cost should go in first.

And EJ could surprise us all (both good or bad) for what he signs for. No matter what, EJ re-signing for whatever gets it done is a "win" for the Avalanche (because they NEED him)...however, could you imagine the joy for people here if he signed for anything in the 5M range (5-5.9)? There'd be a lot of happy folks. Myself, I don't believe that happens, I think his new contract starts with a "6" (and that's if we're lucky and he wants to do the Avs a favor).

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Out of curiosity...if there is an expansion, how does the ~500M expansion fee per team affect the salary cap? Is it considered revenue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad