Rumor: OFF-SEASON AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) XC

Status
Not open for further replies.

BaconNater

Jul 4, 2011
CO
From the end of last thread.

Imagine that were back in 2012... and someone tells you that in 3 years the Avs have a team with Duchene, MacKinnon, EJ, Grigorenko, and Zadorov... here's to hoping that they all reach their full potential! :sarcasm:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Was looking at it last night and we'll have ~25M to spend next year. But that has to include EJ, Barrie, MacKinnon first and then still needs to cover 5-6 role players/ELCs. Not having to pay Zadorov more than pennies for a couple years really gives us cap relief.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I wouldn't want anything to do with Radulov if he disrupted the salary structure, though. That would simply be another ROR issue but a different name. It's got to work financially for us and after EJ/MacK/Barrie are all locked up. Then we can look to Radulov

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Was looking at it last night and we'll have ~25M to spend next year. But that has to include EJ, Barrie, MacKinnon first and then still needs to cover 5-6 role players/ELCs. Not having to pay Zadorov more than pennies for a couple years really gives us cap relief.

Yeah, I think next year's UFA signing will be a scoring wing. (Assuming they resign EJ/Barrie/MacKinnon, of course).

Hopefully, it's not a 35 year old one.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I wouldn't want anything to do with Radulov if he disrupted the salary structure, though. That would simply be another ROR issue but a different name. It's got to work financially for us and after EJ/MacK/Barrie are all locked up. Then we can look to Radulov

Obviously we have to be able to lock up our core (EJ, MacK and Barrie); but Radulov would be our best skater until MacKinnon started hitting his prime, so there's nothing wrong if he upsets the salary structure and becomes our highest payed player.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I hate to break it to you, but Stuarts contract extension is a 35+ deal. A buyout on those doesn't give you cap relief.
http://www.generalfanager.com/buyouts/599

I believe that is under the old CBA and has since been changed. (see below) Even if it hadn't, under the old rule of the old CBA - Stuart signed that contract extension when he was 34 years old, so yes, they would get cap relief if he were bought out.

The CBA also contains a 35-and-over rule, sometimes referred to as the Mogilny rule.[8] This rule states that if a player signs a multi-year deal when the player is 35 or older, starting in the second year of the contract, that amount will count towards the team's salary cap regardless of whether the player is on the active roster or not (unless the player is on long-term injured reserve); this provision remains in effect for the 2013 CBA. This is designed to keep teams from signing older players to lucrative front-loaded contracts, thus saving cap room, in which there is no expectation the player will actually play in the latter years.
The 35 rule clarified. In an email to CapGeek, the NHL informed them (prior to the 2013 CBA - and now in the 2013 CBA) - a player who signs a contract as a 35 plus can be bought out as a compliance buyout, or, as a regular buyout. As a regular buyout, only the buyout portion of that contract counts towards the cap. [9]

Players, agents or employees found to have violated the cap face fines of $250,000 - $1 million and/or suspension. Teams found to have violated the cap face fines of up to $5 million, cancellation of contracts, loss of draft picks, loss of points and/or forfeiture of game(s) determined to have been affected by the violation of the cap.​

But regardless of all that, depending on when expansion occurs, guys like Brad Stuart and maybe even Beauchemin (for that 3rd year - if he's trailed off too much) could be left off of the protected list and made available for Vegas and/or Seattle/Quebec.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I can tell already that I will be very sick of hearing about Radulov by 2016-2017 when he will actually be relevant to the Avs.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Expansion draft aka the iginla/stuart/beachamin cap relief draft.

Could be but I actually believe that Roy & Sakic are really planning this carefully and the 2016-17 year is going to be THE YEAR where they are fully going for IT.

Iggy would be a big part of that.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I believe that is under the old CBA and has since been changed. (see below) Even if it hadn't, under the old rule of the old CBA - Stuart signed that contract extension when he was 34 years old, so yes, they would get cap relief if he were bought out.

The CBA also contains a 35-and-over rule, sometimes referred to as the Mogilny rule.[8] This rule states that if a player signs a multi-year deal when the player is 35 or older, starting in the second year of the contract, that amount will count towards the team's salary cap regardless of whether the player is on the active roster or not (unless the player is on long-term injured reserve); this provision remains in effect for the 2013 CBA. This is designed to keep teams from signing older players to lucrative front-loaded contracts, thus saving cap room, in which there is no expectation the player will actually play in the latter years.
The 35 rule clarified. In an email to CapGeek, the NHL informed them (prior to the 2013 CBA - and now in the 2013 CBA) - a player who signs a contract as a 35 plus can be bought out as a compliance buyout, or, as a regular buyout. As a regular buyout, only the buyout portion of that contract counts towards the cap. [9]

Players, agents or employees found to have violated the cap face fines of $250,000 - $1 million and/or suspension. Teams found to have violated the cap face fines of up to $5 million, cancellation of contracts, loss of draft picks, loss of points and/or forfeiture of game(s) determined to have been affected by the violation of the cap.​

But regardless of all that, depending on when expansion occurs, guys like Brad Stuart and maybe even Beauchemin (for that 3rd year - if he's trailed off too much) could be left off of the protected list and made available for Vegas and/or Seattle/Quebec.

I'm not sure [section 50.5 area of CBA] but I don't think it matters when it was signed, but the age of the player on the last day of the season (June 30) before the new SPC [extension] goes into effect.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Do NMC/NTC matter when it comes to an expansion draft? I think all of our old guys have them.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Do NMC/NTC matter when it comes to an expansion draft? I think all of our old guys have them.

NMC mean you're automatically on the protected list, NTC still following the same requirements. So if someone has a full NTC, they're protected (unless they opt into the draft), if they have a small list that they submit then depending on the timing they would add LV to the list. Not sure if NMC can opt in or not, I suppose they could.

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario

Yeah, it's honestly not a lot of space still though. I would honestly guess someowhere close to 16-17 million for Barrie(5), Johnson(6) and Mackinnon(6). Puts us at about 62.2.

I don't have a lot of hope that the cap will go up AT ALL next year. Canadian dollar is still falling and could be as much as 10 cents weaker by next off-season. So if we assume it stays the same. That's only about 10M left for about 7 guys, and that's with Tanguay missing so either he has to come back or they have to sign someone, a top 6 winger won't be cheap.

Lineup kinda looks like this

_____________ - Duchene - Iginla
Landeskog - Soderberg - Mackinnon
Comeau - Mitchell - Everberg (1M)
McLeod - _________ - __________

_________

Beauchemin - Johnson
Zadorov - Barrie
Holden - Stuart
_________
_________

Varlamov
Berra

So while we have most of a line up. And I added Everberg back in because I don't think he goes anywhere and he'll probably be around 1M. That leaves us with 9M for 5-6 guys.

Chances are at least a couple of spots will be filled by farm players/prospects. Still, I wouldn' expect more than a couple million left over at maximum. We're basically going to be up against the cap next season.

ONe thing I'm still not clear on, do ELC only count their actual salary or does the mega bonus count towards the cap? Like is Mack only .925 or whatever it is? If so, adding Rantanen at ELC price will help out too. I'm hoping Bigras has an amazing year, or Siemens and they can buy out Stuart or try their damndest to find someone to take him for anything.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Obviously we have to be able to lock up our core (EJ, MacK and Barrie); but Radulov would be our best skater until MacKinnon started hitting his prime, so there's nothing wrong if he upsets the salary structure and becomes our highest payed player.

I have serious doubts about this. I understand he's phenomenal in the KHL and all but I just don't buy that he would be the best skater on this team ahead of Duchene, Landeskog, and EJ.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
I have serious doubts about this. I understand he's phenomenal in the KHL and all but I just don't buy that he would be the best skater on this team ahead of Duchene, Landeskog, and EJ.

He could be. I dont think it's crazy thing to say. Radulov is very very good hockey player.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA

Dream killer

I think we should definitely temper our expectations IF he does come over in 12-15 months

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
lol, I'd be interested to see someone make up a team for 2016-17 that includes Radulov under the cap.

It would mean dumping Stuart and getting rid of Tanguay, but I think someone just made calculations and it was close, we could sign Rads to around $6 mil per season. Cap would probably go up as well. It really depends what kind of contract we will offer for MacKinnon/EJ/Barrie..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad