Patriots/NFL Off Season 2021 - Free Agent Frenzy II - Robert Kraft on spending: In business to win

Status
Not open for further replies.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
And when it's uncovered they should take the blame and punishment that's due.

Sure, absolutely. If they played a part in something criminal, they should definitely be held accountable. So far in the Watson case, it sounds as if it's all civil. If the Houston police bring charges though, I'd expect the Texans to be on the hook for covering it up, if that's what they've done.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Sure, teams protect their image, but I just dont see the parallels. What the Texans did is at a whole never level. The Texans knowingly harbouring and enabling a serial sex offender is not the same as a team trying to cover up a DUI or drug charge

There was a book I read years and years ago called Pros and Cons: The Criminals Who Play in the NFL. Its obviously dated now since it was out in the late 90s, but you get the idea. Teams have a long history of covering up a lot of really bad things in the NFL.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Sure, absolutely. If they played a part in something criminal, they should definitely be held accountable. So far in the Watson case, it sounds as if it's all civil. If the Houston police bring charges though, I'd expect the Texans to be on the hook for covering it up, if that's what they've done.
and then the NFL'S THERE waiting so what would Goodell do in addition to this...

Reactions: LSCII

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
There was a book I read years and years ago called Pros and Cons: The Criminals Who Play in the NFL. Its obviously dated now since it was out in the late 90s, but you get the idea. Teams have a long history of covering up a lot of really bad things in the NFL.
I agree. Im sure we dont know half of what goes on in the NFL. All Im saying is with this coming to light, the Texans should be hammered if they covered up or held onto info like this

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
14 lawsuits filed against Watson, with the overall number of victims now being 24 for the moment. Looks like critical mass is being reached and he'll be suspended until this gets worked out.

24? He's getting totally Cosby'd. Like every woman in Houston wants to jump on that lawsuit. Might as well be class action at this point.

I know it may come across as not believing the victims like the media tells us we're supposed to, but something tells me if a star NFL player were going around and sexually assaulting women left and right to the point where 24 of them have a legal complaint, maybe we would've known about this a lot sooner than right after he expressed his dissatisfaction with his team's ownership and management and demanded a trade. just maybe.

As much as players do get protected and a lot of their bad stuff slides, but even stars don't get away with everything - Roethlisberger being a big example. I just am skeptical is all. 24 is much too much to cover up.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
24? He's getting totally Cosby'd. Like every woman in Houston wants to jump on that lawsuit. Might as well be class action at this point.

I know it may come across as not believing the victims like the media tells us we're supposed to, but something tells me if a star NFL player were going around and sexually assaulting women left and right to the point where 24 of them have a legal complaint, maybe we would've known about this a lot sooner than right after he expressed his dissatisfaction with his team's ownership and management and demanded a trade. just maybe.

As much as players do get protected and a lot of their bad stuff slides, but even stars don't get away with everything - Roethlisberger being a big example. I just am skeptical is all. 24 is much too much to cover up.

Okay, a couple of things right off the bat. These aren't all women in the Houston area. They're from all over the country. And his MO was the same for the vast majority. They are also all massage therapists (professional therapists not massage parlor workers) and he reached out to them via social media and set up a massage at his home under the guise of it being part of his routine to help him play better. Also and really more importantly, sexual assaults are not reported regularly, if at all, by many of the victims for a litany of reasons, and even less reported when the assaulting party is famous/rich/powerful.

To me, it's like the Bill Cosby stuff. A couple of people come out and you think it may be a cash grab, but then more and more women come forward all with near identical stories, and it changes your opinion on what really went down. That's what's happening now with Watson, IMO. After a few women came forward, I looked at the lawyer's ties to the McNair family and the fact that Watson is trying to force his way out and connected those dots. And it made sense. But now? Eh. Not so much. The 14th woman's statement is online in the Houston Chronical if anyone wants to read it. It's pretty similar to the rest and makes me think there's some fire to go along with this smoke. And they have at least 10 more women that haven't filed their suits yet, so it's not going to get better for this guy.

Last edited:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I agree. Im sure we dont know half of what goes on in the NFL. All Im saying is with this coming to light, the Texans should be hammered if they covered up or held onto info like this

I'd love for that to happen and for Easterby and Caserio to get a nice little shit sandwich served up for them. I'd imagine they'd both put it on the former GM and coaches, but if it came down to it, the league could still take a pick or picks as punishment, which would impact them going forward.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

Corey Dillon was the biggest loser ever according that book IIRC. Book was a long time ago and the NFL did nothing, the players are worse

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Corey Dillon was the biggest loser ever according that book IIRC. Book was a long time ago and the NFL did nothing, the players are worse

I’m fairly certain he’s been convicted of beating women multiple times so they didn’t go out on much of a ledge there lol

I’m glad they at least pretend to take personal conduct seriously now

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I’m fairly certain he’s been convicted of beating women multiple times so they didn’t go out on much of a ledge there lol

I’m glad they at least pretend to take personal conduct seriously now

No I know, and a lot of it was before he even was in the NFL yet it didn't stop teams like the Pats from giving him a job and NFL paycheck.

Reactions: LSCII and CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
No I know, and a lot of it was before he even was in the NFL yet it didn't stop teams like the Pats from giving him a job and NFL paycheck.

anything to help the team win

which is kinda sad because at the end of the day they’re valuing football over humanity but it is what it is

Last edited:
Reactions: LouJersey and LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

He was definitely a legitimate dirtbag and carried on that way for years with no response from the league.

At the end of the day, the league only cares about something like this if they have to. If it can stay swept under the rug, they're more than content claiming ignorance of it because that gives them plausible deniability. It's like when Ray Rice punched his wife in the elevator. The league didn't give a shit about that until the video got out and showed everyone how violent an action it was. Then it was a problem and then it was something they had to deal with but up until that point? They didn't give a single shit about it. And he could have come back and still played for the league, had any team wanted to sign him. He was just trash at that point so nobody bothered signing him.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
He was definitely a legitimate dirtbag and carried on that way for years with no response from the league.

At the end of the day, the league only cares about something like this if they have to. If it can stay swept under the rug, they're more than content claiming ignorance of it because that gives them plausible deniability. It's like when Ray Rice punched his wife in the elevator. The league didn't give a shit about that until the video got out and showed everyone how violent an action it was. Then it was a problem and then it was something they had to deal with but up until that point? They didn't give a single shit about it. And he could have come back and still played for the league, had any team wanted to sign him. He was just trash at that point so nobody bothered signing him.

Life is pretty simple, and it's not just the NFL.

The question always is: does the value you add outweigh the trouble you cause? The difference with the NFL, or professional sports in general, is that players add a lot more value than one of us regular people, so they can get away with a lot more.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Rohrwasser got waived

not surprising after they brought Aguayo in as a developmental kicker

They also waived LB’s Cassh Maluia and Michael Pinckney

CharaBadSenyshynGawd

Jun 18, 2017
I don’t really have any issue with giving criminals jobs. I mean.... obviously some are harder to root for than others but I’m rooting for the team not the player with a few exceptions. The Pats could break out the Rikers inmates and I’d still root for them.

And also simply kicking criminals out of the league doesn’t really solve the problem. Sure eventually over a very significant period of time you’ll weed all of them out but they’ll still be in society doing whatever crime they were before or worse. If the move is to just want a crystal clear league, sure, but the goal should be to keep the best athletes in your sport. It starts way earlier than the NFL in terms of education and home life.

I just can’t pretend to be outraged that an NFL team would hire the best candidate for the job regardless of legal or personal issues. I mean, if a scientist in the top 1% of his field gets fired for a similar reason they’ll get picked up elsewhere immediately. NFL shouldn’t be any different simply because they’re on TV

Reactions: McGarnagle

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I don’t really have any issue with giving criminals jobs. I mean.... obviously some are harder to root for than others but I’m rooting for the team not the player with a few exceptions. The Pats could break out the Rikers inmates and I’d still root for them.

And also simply kicking criminals out of the league doesn’t really solve the problem. Sure eventually over a very significant period of time you’ll weed all of them out but they’ll still be in society doing whatever crime they were before or worse. If the move is to just want a crystal clear league, sure, but the goal should be to keep the best athletes in your sport. It starts way earlier than the NFL in terms of education and home life.

I just can’t pretend to be outraged that an NFL team would hire the best candidate for the job regardless of legal or personal issues. I mean, if a scientist in the top 1% of his field gets fired for a similar reason they’ll get picked up elsewhere immediately. NFL shouldn’t be any different simply because they’re on TV

Totally agree. I get that people don't want to feel like bad people are being celebrated in highly public jobs and whatnot, but after someone is charged and does their time or pays their fine or whatever, are they just not supposed to ever work again? If felons can't get jobs, then what are they going to do? Probably reoffend and go back to jail. It's a vicious cycle. I understand not wanting to connect your brand image to Ray Rice, but if football is all these guys know and it gives them a support structure and pressure to not let people down again, I'm all for giving second or third chances.

CupWanted

Memories of better days
Mar 4, 2008

Anyone remember the series Playmakers on ESPN? There’s a reason the NFL pressured ESPN to cancel despite enormous ratings. It hit too close to home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad