Patriots/NFL Off Season 2021 - Free Agent Frenzy II - Robert Kraft on spending: In business to win

Status
Not open for further replies.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Now, I think we've all already established the fact that Bill isn't constructing his team in reaction to Tampa. That's just silly.

That said, if he wins with this team despite having one of the worst starters in the NFL in Cam Newton at QB, that might be the ultimate mic drop moment.

Reactions: Oates2Neely

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
According to David Lombardi, Gardner Minshew is being lusted after by the 49ers.

Last edited:

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
saw that they’re looking for at least a 4th and a few other teams are in on him

I saw pats fans on twitter saying “what’s the point, might as well just hold onto him if that’s all you can get” and to that I say “lol no”

if you can get a 4th you have to take it and run. I’m not convinced he’s a lost cause but I don’t see him turning around his play here. Thanks to N’Keal for giving it a shot and being a professional for a couple years, hopefully a change of scenery reboots his career

Also I love that they fully guaranteed the White deal. No need to make that man work for his money with incentives. Guy deserves it for the shit he went through last year and for what he’s meant to the franchise. My 83 year old grandmothers favorite player

So I saw this from Matt Chatham last week.

Now, I'm not going to go back and check to see if this is actually true, but it's an interesting perspective on it.

Personally, I'm with you. I think he's still got the talent to be good here, but I don't think it's going to happen, and a new start would be good for him mentally. If I could get 4th round pick value for him now, I'd do it. Maybe something like Harry + pick 120 to move up to pick 82. That value is roughly the 118th pick in the draft.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
So I saw this from Matt Chatham last week.

Now, I'm not going to go back and check to see if this is actually true, but it's an interesting perspective on it.

Personally, I'm with you. I think he's still got the talent to be good here, but I don't think it's going to happen, and a new start would be good for him mentally. If I could get 4th round pick value for him now, I'd do it. Maybe something like Harry + pick 120 to move up to pick 82. That value is roughly the 118th pick in the draft.

Why would they trade Harry?

Reactions: bbfan419

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan

Because he's excess goods and has underperformed to where he's been drafted here compared to guys like Jakobi Meyers. On the Pats, he is a 5th-6th on the depth chart now (dependent on if Edelman is able to play this upcoming season). Might as well deal him while he has value to fill other holes in the team.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Because everyone thinks he sucks after missing a bulk of his rookie year, and not getting the ball thrown his way a lot last season.

I have my reservations on him, but I don't see any value trading him in year 3 to get a 4th rounder back. If they want to move up, they have plenty of draft capital already.

I get he's probably 6th in line for receptions, but he still can make a leap.

Reactions: Oates2Neely

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Because everyone thinks he sucks after missing a bulk of his rookie year, and not getting the ball thrown his way a lot last season.

I have my reservations on him, but I don't see any value trading him in year 3 to get a 4th rounder back. If they want to move up, they have plenty of draft capital already.

I get he's probably 6th in line for receptions, but he still can make a leap.

What has given you the indication that Harry is capable of making that jump?

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Because they've decided it's just not going to happen here.

He's behind Agholor, Bourne, and Meyers on the depth chart, as well as Edelman if he's healthy enough to play. Trading him now would be cutting their losses, especially since it's possible he'd be cut in training camp anyway.

Thank God Bill has UFA and trades avail to build a team

Reactions: bbfan419

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

Mariota isn't coming to New England any time soon it seems.

while I agree that I don’t think he’s coming here I think the NTC is in place so he won’t be traded elsewhere just to be a backup. If he was presented with a starters opportunity I bet he’d waive

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
What has given you the indication that Harry is capable of making that jump?

Because you can't tell me Newton is the worst starter in the league and can't throw it in the ocean from the beach then turn around and say Harry is garbage on the field. If Cam is as bad as we all think he is, don't you think that makes Harry look bad too? Kinda hard to put up stats when your QB cant get you the ball to save his life.

Sorry, I'm not about to dump a 1st round pick with a college tape as good as Harry's after 2 seasons of:

- missed 9 games and never got a chance to get going due injury
- played with an all time bad passing performance in Newton

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
I don't get the idea that players wouldn't want to play for Belichick. Ya he's not super personable with the media. And he's a shrewd GM. But he's also an incredible couch, with a wealth of football knowledge, and a ton of passion about the game. If you love football and can take hard couching he'd be a dream to play for. Plus he seems pretty normal when they show mic'd up practices and all that, even funny at times.

Brady was just probably burned out on 20 years of hard couching, was tired of having subpar weapons (a result of the shrewd GM knowing Brady could cover a lot of those weaknesses), and was sick of the 'is Brady really that good or is it all Belichick?' talk.

Reactions: rfournier103

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I don't get the idea that players wouldn't want to play for Belichick. Ya he's not super personable with the media. And he's a shrewd GM. But he's also an incredible couch, with a wealth of football knowledge, and a ton of passion about the game. If you love football and can take hard couching he'd be a dream to play for. Plus he seems pretty normal when they show mic'd up practices and all that, even funny at times.

Brady was just probably burned out on 20 years of hard couching, was tired of having subpar weapons (a result of the shrewd GM knowing Brady could cover a lot of those weaknesses), and was sick of the 'is Brady really that good or is it all Belichick?' talk.

Not sure I'd call Dillon, Brown, Moss, Welker, Gronk, Hernandez, Edelman, Faulk, White subpar. Yeah it's not Manning's embarrassment of riches, but lets not act like he was saddled with practice squad guys.

Also, lets not forget the trade off. He arguably had the best O-line in his 20 years here. Pretty sure he's only still playing because of how little he got touched behind Scarnecchia's lines

Reactions: rfournier103

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
Not sure I'd call Dillon, Brown, Moss, Welker, Gronk, Hernandez, Edelman, Faulk, White subpar. Yeah it's not Manning's embarrassment of riches, but lets not act like he was saddled with practice squad guys.

Also, lets not forget the trade off. He arguably had the best O-line in his 20 years here. Pretty sure he's only still playing because of how little he got touched behind Scarnecchia's lines
You've named 9 skill position guys and 6 of them haven't been Patriots for, what, 10+ years? The last couple years for Brady the Patriots had some of the worst skill position groups in the NFL.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
You've named 9 skill position guys and 6 of them haven't been Patriots for, what, 10+ years? The last couple years for Brady the Patriots had some of the worst skill position groups in the NFL.
The post makes it seem like Brady had 20 years of bad weapons. Also, the team consistently won, so Brady was talking out of both sides of his mouth. Is it about the winning, like he has always said, or is it about the weapons and getting the stats?

Brady's certainly earned the right to have his own retirement tour, but he above all people should have known that it wasnt going to happen here.

Last edited:

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
The post makes it seem like Brady had 20 years of bad weapons. Also, the team consistently won, so Brady was talking out of both sides of his mouth. Is it about the winning, like he has always said, or is it about the weapons and getting the stats?

Brady's certainly earned the right to have his own retirement tour, but he above all people should have known that it wasnt going to happen here.
The last couple years for Brady the Patriots had some of the worst skill position groups in the NFL.

You are reading into things.

People are so fired up over this that a post talking about how great Belichick is somehow turned me into a Belichick hater.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
The last couple years for Brady the Patriots had some of the worst skill position groups in the NFL.

You are reading into things.

People are so fired up over this that a post talking about how great Belichick is somehow turned me into a Belichick hater.
Fair enough, I probably am.

Im just always curious as to why the last few years Brady made a stink about the weapons. We also praises Brady because he was all about the team, never put his own success ahead of the team, etc. and now thats exactly what he did his last few years here

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I think Brady recognized he’s not good enough to lead a team with Meyers as a #1 and Izzo as a starting TE, so I think it’s fair for him to be like “GUYS WTF IM 42” and demand some help

but again we probably shouldn’t go down this road for the 1000th time

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
I think Brady recognized he’s not good enough to lead a team with Meyers as a #1 and Izzo as a starting TE, so I think it’s fair for him to be like “GUYS WTF IM 42” and demand some help

The team was winning though and was always contending for the SB even with lack luster weapons at times.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
The team was winning though and was always contending for the SB even with lack luster weapons at times.

yeah I think the real issues started with Brady’s last season when he clearly wasn’t the same guy who could carry a pile of garbage like he was able to do in 2006. I think it was very frustrating for a guy whose been downright dominant for 20 years to feel mortal

Reactions: NMF and DangleCity

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

yeah, no
2017-2019 he had:

Edelman
Gronk
White
Gordon
Cooks
Amendola
Dion Lewis
Martellus Bennett
Michel (who had 931 yards in 13 games as a rookie)
Hogan

Even his last year here they had Gordon, Antonio Brown, Sanu, Edelman and Demaryius Thomas. Is it "not getting him weapons" because Gordon and Brown violated the league and got the boot, Sanu disappointed and Thomas couldn't even make the team out of camp?

Dont tell me he didnt have weapons here. He did, up until the very end.

edit: what happened, IMO, is Brady got tired of the demanding nature of playing here and wanted a "Club Med" team, which he's earned at this point. He saw that this past season was a punt year because of the cap and took his chance to leave.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012

I don't know. If we didn't argue the same things 1000 times, what would we actually do here?

Reactions: Therick67 and CDJ
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad