Patriots/NFL Off Season 2021 - Free Agent Frenzy II - Robert Kraft on spending: In business to win

Status
Not open for further replies.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Patriots owner on spending: In business to win

New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft, whose team went on a free-agent binge that broke the NFL record for most guaranteed money spent on signings, described the aggressive approach as strategic.

"It's like investing in the stock market," Kraft said, according to the "Football Morning In America" column. "You take advantage of corrections and inefficiencies in the market when you can, and that's what we did here. We'll see. Nothing is guaranteed, and I'm very cognizant of that. But we're not in the business to be in business. We're in this business to win."
God bless that man.

:heart: :heart: :heart:

Reactions: bbfan419 and Fenway

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
Interesting reading the comment from Bourne. He’s excited to play with Cam, has been a big fan since he was a kid..looking forward to picking Cams brain.

Players see things different from the fans. Seems playing with Newton played a part in him coming here.

Reactions: bbfan419

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I know it's very easy to write off last year in retrospect as if oh yeah, it was part of the plan. But Kraft's comments about taking advantage of corrections and inefficiencies are really telling. I don't think they weren't trying to compete, but I do think they deliberately treated it as a reset year, and as good a year as they ever could pick. A lot of live and dead money came off the books at the same time other organizations aren't able to absorb real payroll as well as the premier teams in the league due to the covid economy. They were also in prime position to load up on guys at discounted prices due to uncertainties, etc.

Reactions: Saxon Eric

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Interesting reading the comment from Bourne. He’s excited to play with Cam, has been a big fan since he was a kid..looking forward to picking Cams brain.

Players see things different from the fans. Seems playing with Newton played a part in him coming here.

It is funny how everyone in this league has nothing but great things to say about Cam Newton and yet we all think he's the worst QB to ever suit up.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
It is funny how everyone in this league has nothing but great things to say about Cam Newton and yet we all think he's the worst QB to ever suit up.

By all accounts, he's a good teammate. The guys all clearly enjoy him and his personality. But his personality isn't a factor when you're talking about him bouncing passes to receivers. And that's the issue. He can be a great guy and good teammate, but that doesn't make him a viable option to start in this league.

Reactions: GabeTravels

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

dude he sucks right now. They can say what they want but we aren’t blind

If the plan was to spend all this money and have him as your starter, well that’s a flawed plan

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I'd 100% dangle #15 to the Jets for Darnold. He clearly has talent and his failures are a product of that franchise and having Gase as his coach. You give him Belichick/McDaniels and its night and day for him.

While I'm absolutely 95% sure that Darnold is going to become a very good starting QB if surrounded by an organization that knows what it's doing and a good coach/coordinator, but 15 is too much. He'll probably get cut.

BernieMcAvoy

Feb 18, 2020
If we trade up while I do like Fields over Lance, I would love to see if we could get Wilson.
While i understand there's nfl analysts that know a lot more than me have Wilson ranked as the 2nd best qb i don't understand why he's ranked above Fields. He's had 1 really good season at BYU where he didn't play any elite teams. Meanwhile fields had a 40 td 1 int season in 2019 and led his team to the national championship game outplaying the most hyped prospect since Luck to get there in 2020. It feels like one of these situations where having less tape on qb to notice his flaws boosts his stock, the type of thing that sees a Trubisky drafted 10 spots higher than Watson.

Reactions: CDJ and bbfan419

BernieMcAvoy

Feb 18, 2020
I'd 100% dangle #15 to the Jets for Darnold. He clearly has talent and his failures are a product of that franchise and having Gase as his coach. You give him Belichick/McDaniels and its night and day for him.
Darnold sucks man. He's turnover prone, doesn't extend plays with his legs enough to be considered a dual threat and has almost as many interceptions as touchdowns in the nfl. Gase is a terrible coach but even Tannehill wasn't as bad under him as Darnold currently is. Wanting to give up #15 for someone like Jimmy is dumb, giving up #15 for a bust like Darnold is completely insane

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
While i understand there's nfl analysts that know a lot more than me have Wilson ranked as the 2nd best qb i don't understand why he's ranked above Fields. He's had 1 really good season at BYU where he didn't play any elite teams. Meanwhile fields had a 40 td 1 int season in 2019 and led his team to the national championship game outplaying the most hyped prospect since Luck to get there in 2020. It feels like one of these situations where having less tape on qb to notice his flaws boosts his stock, the type of thing that sees a Trubisky drafted 10 spots higher than Watson.

It's the Mahomes effect

rfournier103

Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
The things I want the Patriots to do with the 15th pick ranked in order of preference:

1. Draft a quarterback.

2. Draft a top-flight game-braking wide receiver.

3. Trade UP... to draft a quarterback.

I‘m not interested in them doing anything else with that pick.

rfournier103

Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Darnold may have been a good prospect coming out of college, but the Patriots need to stay far, far away from him. Even if the Patriots can get him for free when the Jets cut him, the Patriots will have to undo years of horrible Jets coaching. Better to get a fresh apple off the tree than a rotten one out of the New York Jets barrel.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
The things I want the Patriots to do with the 15th pick ranked in order of preference:
1. Draft a quarterback.
I want a QB, and I'd like them to slide up a little bit to get Mac Jones or maybe Fields. Denver's #9 slot is probably the most reasonable option there.
If we keep 15 and the top 4 QBs are off the board, I'd be happy with either of the two Alabama WRs. But would not be offended if Bill took a monster LB or OL at that point. I generally trust him to find the best value possible and BPA at that point. In twenty years, the only massive 1st round whiff were Laurence Maroney and Dominique Easley

Malcolm Brown is borderline but #32 overall picks might as well be second rounders. Book is still out on Nkeal Harry - I'll give him one more year with some help in the WR core, maybe being the 3rd or 4th option on a play and getting dime backs covering him will help him get open and take advantage of his size for once.

Last edited:
Reactions: rfournier103

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
Some mocks I have seen have the Jets taking Fields and they just may do that. If the Pats could trade up to #3, then they get one of Fields or Wilson.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Miami's not trading them #3

I’m sure they could get them to do it, it would just cost an obscene amount that is in no way worth it

Probably talking 15, next years first, 2021 2nd, 2022 2nd, and a Stephon Gilmore sprinkle for Flores

just trade to 6- somebody will be there. Probably Lance and Jones

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
I’m sure they could get them to do it, it would just cost an obscene amount that is in no way worth it

Probably talking 15, next years first, 2021 2nd, 2022 2nd, and a Stephon Gilmore sprinkle for Flores

I don't think that'd be enough. In that situation, Miami is basically letting Belichick trade for his franchise QB. They're not going to do that, or if they did, we're talking something crazy like 4 1st round picks being the ask. If you're letting Belichick draft a franchise QB, then you're trying to cripple their future at the same time.

Reactions: CDJ

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012

1. Draft a quarterback.

I'd say if you want #1, then you're going to need to do #3. As for the WRs, I think the top 3 are gone by #15, and there's a significant drop off after them, where I wouldn't spend #15 on any other WR.

I think there's a decent chance that if they stay at #15, then you're looking at a CB, LB/EDGE, or OL as the best players on the board. If they miss out on a QB, I'd see if I could find a team to trade me next year's 1st. I don't love next year's QB class (I'd probably have all of the top 5 QBs as the best QB next year), but another 1st would give you better ammo to move up for a QB next year.

Reactions: McGarnagle

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
So in February 2019 about 2 years ago the Patriots beat the offensive juggernaut Rams with minimal from Brady and a defense of home grown talent Hightower McCourty Flowers Collins Chung etc and FA signings KVN Gilmore etc

But Billy from Dorchester calling in saying Belichick can’t draft can’t win without Brady blah blah

people are dumb

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site

1. Draft a quarterback.

I'm thinking Lawrence and Wilson are probably gone by pick #3.

Fields and Lance and worth taking a shot at trading up for. If one of them gets past Philadelphia at #6, then I'm on the phone with Detroit.

I would not trade up to get Mac Jones.

I would consider picking Mac Jones at #15, but not if a true Top 10 talent falls, because I like a number of the QBs that should be available in the 2nd round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA