Speculation: Off-Season 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
There is more than one Lightning fan on THIS board that tell us Yzerman is tanking the team so he can get fired and go back to Detroit. It's an epidemic.

Who said that without their tongue firmly in cheek?

Although I appreciate we have a good farm for once, I'm not ready to call him a good gm until we ice a consistent winner.

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009

Although I appreciate we have a good farm for once, I'm not ready to call him a good gm until we ice a consistent winner.

Not naming names, but there's been a couple of em who have been dead serious.

And I actually agree. For the most part I like what Yzerman has done, but it all has to come together for the big club for him to be considered success. I think my only difference is that I think it's going to take a bit longer than most people feel like waiting.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Not naming names, but there's been a couple of em who have been dead serious.

And I actually agree. For the most part I like what Yzerman has done, but it all has to come together for the big club for him to be considered success. I think my only difference is that I think it's going to take a bit longer than most people feel like waiting.

I don't think that SFY has done anything to indicate that he's purposefully trying to tank the team. The only major disagreement I see the fan hivemind having with SFY are about the statements on Frantz Jean returning, and that hasn't actually happened yet.

There are plenty of bigger conspiracy fish to fry anyway IMO.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009

I totally agree with this.

And it's probably safe to assume that Yzerman will get in trouble if goaltending is still a problem at the end of next season.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
I think it's this year and next year, but only 2 total. So MTL and NYR only have one buyout left each.

Wait, I think you're right. They set it up that you get one this offseason without penalty or something like that, right? Pretty sure thats how it played out.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Wait, I think you're right. They set it up that you get one this offseason without penalty or something like that, right? Pretty sure thats how it played out.

Right. They let teams do it before the short season started pretty much for Gomez and Redden (#SatherSignings) and all it did was take away one of their two buyouts. No other penalty.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
As per @NHLPA, player part of Competition Committee: Backes,Cory Schneider,Cammalleri,Hainsey,Pietrangelo; rules/equip changes go thru them

For changes to visors, equipment fighting need 2/3rds of Committee to agree - since 5 reps per side, players effectively must agree #visors
https://twitter.com/EricOnSportsLaw/status/340863137848913921
https://twitter.com/EricOnSportsLaw/status/340863438697926659
NHL representatives at competition committee meeting will be Ed Snider, Steve Yzerman, David Poile, Ken Holland and Randy Carlyle.

The NHL will also have an active on-ice official -- Don Van Massenhoven -- as part of the process.
https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/340870364987023360
https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/340870590472810496

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
So...if accurate, Yzerman does not flatly dismiss the notion of buying out Vinny (or anyone else), and just says we'll see down the road. Interesting.

FWIW I still think Malone is the buyout candidate par excellence, and would be very surprised to see Vinny go that route. But the door seems to be at least a tiny bit open.

I agree I think that Malone get's boughtout before Vinny.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hock...eates-awkward-situation-for-lightning/2124332
"My chances of playing again are very minor."

"Maybe awkward is the right word," Ohlund said of the circumstances. "I clearly understand this has not been a great situation for ownership or management."
Ohlund, 36, who in February 2012 had what basically was a partial replacement of his left knee, said he has seen "quite a few doctors" during the past year and all agree.

"From a surgery standpoint, there is nothing more that I can do," he said. "Everybody has been absolutely wonderful, management, coaches and everybody with the Lightning. As for how it's going to play out, I'm not completely sure."

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL

Here's how it's going to play out: he's going to continue to not play (understandably) but continue to receive his fat payout instead of just doing the honorable thing and retiring. He is never going to play again. His knees are done. And even if a surgeon performs an absolute miracle on his knees, he's too old to be able to get back into NHL form again after missing so much time.

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009
Here's how it's going to play out: he's going to continue to not play (understandably) but continue to receive his fat payout instead of just doing the honorable thing and retiring. He is never going to play again. His knees are done. And even if a surgeon performs an absolute miracle on his knees, he's too old to be able to get back into NHL form again after missing so much time.

I get what you're saying and the situation absolutely blows from a team building standpoint, but it's pretty understandable for a guy to want to get what he signed for, especially when he has no knees left.

And he may surprise us and retire anyway.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Guessing Gormley would be the centerpiece instead for a prospect like Connolly.

Well speaking for myself, I definitely wouldn't be averse to Gormley for Connolly straight up. But I was just going off of previous convos with Bolts fans regarding their D, e.g. they're looking for a RHD, preferably a thumper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad