Speculation: Off-Season 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yzlamic Preacher*

So with our obvious short comings at D, and a few other (personally) weak points on our Bottom 6, who do we target from UFA? Who do we try to move?

D:

Trade

Brewer - for whatever we can get. Watching him be a shell of his former self is painful. I see no will in him to play hockey any more.

Lee - If the return is ok. He has his lapses, but he has his flashes too (hose that is for you bud).

Sign:

Ladislav Smid - 3 years/3.5 Million (if possible). I feel he would fit nicely where Brewer slots in now, and worst case he is still serviceable on our bottom pairing.

Forwards:

Sign:

Obligatory Filppula mention. Plays centre, Plays wing, can put in goals, can play d. He is the perfect top 6/9 forward. Downside, he will cost a pretty penny

I am kind of drunk, so I can't think of more. But I will add more as I sober up. No mention of Carle because I don't think anyone will take that contract...:(

Last edited by a moderator:

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
So with our obvious short comings at D, and a few other (personally) weak points on our Bottom 6, who do we target from UFA? Who do we try to move?

D:

Trade

Brewer - for whatever we can get. Watching him be a shell of his former self is painful. I see no will in him to play hockey any more.

Lee - If the return is ok. He has his lapses, but he has his flashes too (hose that is for you bud).

Sign:

Ladislav Smid - 3 years/3.5 Million (if possible). I feel he would fit nicely where Brewer slots in now, and worst case he is still serviceable on our bottom pairing.

Forwards:

Sign:

Obligatory Filppula mention. Plays centre, Plays wing, can put in goals, can play d. He is the perfect top 6/9 forward. Downside, he will cost a pretty penny

I am kind of drunk, so I can't think of more. But I will add more as I sober up. No mention of Carle because I don't think anyone will take that contract...:(

I would like to see us use our last buyout on Carle. I don't see us getting anything worthwhile for him and I DON'T want to watch him for 5 more years :cry:

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I don't think you can get Smid for 3/3.5. He loves Edmonton by reports and Edmonton fans love him but they don't think he's worth around 4.5 or over annually.. what he could be asking. If he hits UFA, I don't see him signing under 4x4. I just don't. He has little to no offense on him but is as solid as they come without the puck. He is just what we need in front of the net.

New reports are telling Filppula is asking for 5 mil annually.. I don't see place for Flip on this team, esp, at that price. One of our kids could easily do what Flip would bring.

I would like to see us use our last buyout on Carle. I don't see us getting anything worthwhile for him and I DON'T want to watch him for 5 more years :cry:

Only four more :).

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
My perfect summer play would look like this:

Brewer must go, either buyout or for picks.
I'm okay with Lee staying as our number 7, but I wouldn't mind if he is traded.
I expect a trade of either Malone or Purcell.

Then we should look at Detroit, they have 18m Cap space and must sign Howard, Smith, Brunner, Filppula, Kindl, Nyquist and Andersson. So I expect them to have some cap problems. That could mean Cleary is available and if they want him back, Tootoo or Abdelkader will be on the block. So I really hope SFY trys to land on of the three.
Then I want another D, my choice would be Andrew Ference from Boston, but he is already 34, so I would prefer a younger guy, but I can't find one, that fits (in my opinion)

My lineup:

Conacher-Stamkos-MSL
Killorn/Connolly-VL4-Purcell/Malone
Pouliot-Pyatt-Killorn/Connolly
Cleary-Thompson/FA-Crombeen
Labrie

Hedman-Salo
Carle-Gudas
Aulie-Ference
Barberio, Korobov, (Lee)

Last edited:

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
My perfect summer play would look like this:

Brewer must go, either buyout or for picks.
I'm okay with Lee staying as our number 7, but I wouldn't mind if he is traded.
I expect a trade of either Malone or Purcell.

Then we should look at Detroit, they have 18m Cap space and must sign Howard, Smith, Brunner, Filppula, Kindl, Nyquist and Andersson. So I expect them to have some cap problems. That could mean Cleary is available and if they want him back, Tootoo or Abdelkader will be on the block. So I really hope SFY trys to land on of the three.
Then I want another D, my choice would be Andrew Ference from Boston, but he is already 34, so I would prefer a younger guy, but I can't find one, that fits (in my opinion)

My lineup:

Conacher-Stamkos-MSL
Killorn/Connolly-VL4-Purcell/Malone
Pouliot-Pyatt-Killorn/Connolly
Cleary-Thompson/FA-Crombeen
Labrie

Hedman-Salo
Carle-Gudas
Aulie-Ference
Barberio, Korobov, (Lee)

Howard is 5 mil max, Brunner 3.5. Smith and Kindl aren't getting more than 2 mil neither are Nyquist or Andersson. That leaves around 3.5 mil left.

Cleary is expected to let walk. Or at least any Wings fan will hope so. He could be decent bottom 6er, but I hope there are better options available. He's skating is bad and he loses ton of puck battles.

I'd try to get 3rd line shutdown C somewhere, imo that's a big need on forward group. Along with RD who can play on top 4. Preferably physical ofc.

Pyatt or Thompson won't cut it for me.

But he price will be steep. I don't see Stevie fixing both of those during the offseason, would cost a lot of future.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I'm not completely sold on doing much of anything with the defense. We're simultaneously complaining about the coaching so if there's a change there, I'd think SFY would give time to the new coach/es to try and turn them around, at least to give them more trade value.

On the other hand, the players have to be held accountable for their own play and just changing the coach would very likely give them the impression that their play is somebody else's fault.

Last edited:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I want no part of Cleary, he's too old and slow. I'd much rather have Palat on the 4th line. Ference is starting to not look as good this year plus once he gets out of the Boston system he might not be that good. I do agree Brewer needs to go. Move Gudas up to his spot and help Carle out. We need to look for a replacement for Salo too, don't see Gudas as a top line guy. I like Killorn playing on the top 2 lines but he seems like he'd be the perfect 3C. If he plays there that free's up a wing spot for Connolly/Panik. Conacher I would like to see get more top 6 minutes but he's not out of place on the 3rd line. Not sure what we could realistically get for Purcell or Malone. I'd prefer to move Purcell cause he has more value and we have plenty of RW's to take his spot. Pouliot is also gonna need to be resigned. So my lineup idea.

Malone/Purcell-Stamkos-St. Louis
Pouliot-Lecavlier-Connolly/Panik
Conacher-Killorn-Pyatt
Palat-Thompson-Crombeen/Labrie

Hedman-Salo
Carle-Gudas
Aulie-Lee/Korobov

Lindback
Desjardins

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
The only thing I want this summer is a top 3 pick in the draft. Any one of these three combos would be amazing:

1) Drouin-Stamkos-Malone
Pouliot-Lecavalier-St.Louis
Conacher-Killorn-Connolly
Palat-Pyatt-Labrie

2) Malone-Stamkos-St.Louis
Conacher-MacKinnon-Killorn
Pouliot-Lecavalier-Connolly
Palat-Pyatt-Labrie

3) Hedman-Salo
Carle-Jones
Aulie-Gudas

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
I don't think you can get Smid for 3/3.5. He loves Edmonton by reports and Edmonton fans love him but they don't think he's worth around 4.5 or over annually.. what he could be asking. If he hits UFA, I don't see him signing under 4x4. I just don't. He has little to no offense on him but is as solid as they come without the puck. He is just what we need in front of the net.

New reports are telling Filppula is asking for 5 mil annually.. I don't see place for Flip on this team, esp, at that price. One of our kids could easily do what Flip would bring.

Only four more :).

Carle was signed to 6 years at 5.5 a year. We have him until 2017-18 :cry:

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
How long are the buyouts available for? Could we use one next summer?

I'm up for giving Carle next season as the team gave him a big contract and half a season isn't enough to tell if he can live up to it. A full season should tell us all we need to know about him.

I wouldn't mind buying out Brewer if no one wants to trade for him.

dbieon12

Vinik-Brisebois-Cooper
Jul 22, 2010
I'm not completely sold on doing much of anything with the defense. We're simultaneously complaining about the coaching so if there's a change there, I'd think SFY would give time to the new coach/es to try and turn them around, at least to give them more trade value.

On the other hand, the players have to be held accountable for their own play and just changing the coach would very likely give them the impression that their play is somebody else's fault.

I think Gudas and maybe Barberio are hitting their ceiling in the AHL. They need NHL ice time to continue improving (which will have rough patches, but is necessary; ie, Hedman). Defense should be fine with them.

Hedman - Salo
Aulie - Lee
Barberio - Gudas

Interchangeable with Brewer, Carle, and (maybe) Ohlund as see fit. In general, I don't see much need to go outside of the organization for immediate help this offseason.

PS: I realize that I put over $9M (Brewer, Carle) on the bench. If we're going to pay them either way, I'd rather win.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
How long are the buyouts available for? Could we use one next summer?

I'm up for giving Carle next season as the team gave him a big contract and half a season isn't enough to tell if he can live up to it. A full season should tell us all we need to know about him.

I wouldn't mind buying out Brewer if no one wants to trade for him.

Pretty sure we just get the one this summer

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
Can someone explain the Amnesty Buyout to me? Can buy a player out, but it won't count against the cap? Is that right? I would imagine Vinik wouldn't be too happy about paying a player an exorbitant amount of money who doesn't even play for the organization.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
Can someone explain the Amnesty Buyout to me? Can buy a player out, but it won't count against the cap? Is that right? I would imagine Vinik wouldn't be too happy about paying a player an exorbitant amount of money who doesn't even play for the organization.

It's a mechanism to allow teams to get under the cap as it will be dropping to $64.3million next season. I believe each team gets 2 buyouts.

You pay a player the remainder of the contract but they won't count against the cap. Not sure if it will be structured, smaller lump sums, or follow the payment scheme of their current contract.

I fully expect Brewer to be bought out if he isn't moved this summer. I can see them buying out Malone as well since he takes up more capspace than he's paid and is injury prone. Killorn can step into his place in a slightly less physical role. But Malone has value so he most likely can be moved for a decent package.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Lee has been awful for years, and people want to keep him. Carle has been bad for a half season here, and people want to get rid of him.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
It's a mechanism to allow teams to get under the cap as it will be dropping to $64.3million next season. I believe each team gets 2 buyouts.

You pay a player the remainder of the contract but they won't count against the cap. Not sure if it will be structured, smaller lump sums, or follow the payment scheme of their current contract.

I fully expect Brewer to be bought out if he isn't moved this summer. I can see them buying out Malone as well since he takes up more capspace than he's paid and is injury prone. Killorn can step into his place in a slightly less physical role. But Malone has value so he most likely can be moved for a decent package.

So basically like the previous buy out in the previous CBA. There's nothing different?

And if Carle wasn't so bad on the turnovers, we wouldn't be making fits about him. He is for the most part (for the most part!!) sound positionally. It's just when he gets the puck, he tends to turn it over, which is not good. Also he weak wrist shot from the point is kind of odd. Clap that baby!

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
So basically like the previous buy out in the previous CBA. There's nothing different?

And if Carle wasn't so bad on the turnovers, we wouldn't be making fits about him. He is for the most part (for the most part!!) sound positionally. It's just when he gets the puck, he tends to turn it over, which is not good. Also he weak wrist shot from the point is kind of odd. Clap that baby!

Right. Not to mention, everyone is doing the turnover dance in the defensive zone right now, so once he gets that ironed out I think people will be far more pleased with him.

I just dont get how everyone wants to get rid of the one thing we've needed the most... a puck moving defenseman.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL

I wouldn't say he's sound positionally, and even if he is, he's a traffic cone. He doesn't do anything but float his stick around the puck and hope he deflects it. Definitely not worth 5.5/year (top pairing money).

echlfreak

Aug 1, 2003
Let me try this again since my last post got shut down.

Coaching Staff: Keep Boucher (Ruff clearly not the answer) add Ulf Samuelsson to coach D

Trade:

Carle back to Philly for Grossmann...they need an offensive D and Tampa needs a shut down D

Brewer at trade line for a prospect and or draft pick...cap dump

Malone and a 3rd Rd pick to Pittsburgh for Letang...Pitt gets Malone back TB gets #1 offensive D

Signings:

Filppula...good speed and puck sense...token Red Wing player for SY
Ryder...goal scoring winger
Thompson...great 4th line center under GB coaching style
Garon...only goalie in GB system to consistently produce decent numbers/french/cheap
Miller...consistent worker and PKer
Smid-has been one of EDM most steady D over last few years
Kostka-logs a ton of min in TOR

Cory Conacher ($0.925m) / Steven Stamkos ($7.500m) / Martin St. Louis ($5.625m)
Brett Connolly ($1.633m) / Vincent Lecavalier ($7.727m) / Teddy Purcell ($4.500m)
Valtteri Filppula ($3.500m) / Alexander Killorn ($0.875m) / Michael Ryder ($3.500m)
Tom Pyatt ($0.600m) / Nate Thompson ($0.900m) / Drew Miller ($0.838m)
DEFENSEMEN
Kris Letang ($3.500m) / Victor Hedman ($4.000m)
Nicklas Grossmann ($3.500m) / Sami Salo ($3.750m)
Ladislav Smid ($2.750m) / Mike Kostka ($1.500m)
Brian Lee ($1.150m) /
GOALTENDERS
Anders Lindback ($1.800m)
Mathieu Garon ($1.300m)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,479,773; BONUSES: $850,000
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $2,670,227

The only other thing I would consider is a Vinny buyout and sign Derek Roy???

Is this closer??? or did I just shut down this post too???

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Lee has done it longer. Carle has a track record of success that Lee doesn't, and you're looking at him with a very small sample size here in Tampa.

Lee is making 1.1 per year and is a #6/7 D. Carle is making 5.5 and is expected to be a top 2 D. Which has disappointed more? Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't he paired with Pronger in Phili? Pronger came to Phili in 09-10 and that's when Carle had an offensive and +/- explosion. He also played with Pronger for more than half the year in 10-11 and had a career year. In 11-12 Pronger was injured and he had the typical Phili year, all offense and no defense. I hardly see enough individual success there to warrant 5.5 million dollars per year for over half a decade. If we were paying him 3 or 4 million then fine, but 5.5 is waaaaaay too much for what he brings to the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad