Speculation: Off-Season 2013 - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stammer Time*

Sons of Pirates
Dec 6, 2003
St.Pete, Florida
Purcell was also given a significant extension by Yzerman while he inherited Malone and his contract. Plus I'm pretty sure Yzerman has tried to trade Malone before but was blocked by his NMC.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Supposedly at the 2011 draft and the 2012 deadline the Lightning and Kings had a deal worked out involving Malone and ironically Bernier but Malone blocked it both times.

Thats right. Man, if that had worked out... I guess I have to think of that. Bernier would probably mean Conacher would still be here, Malone would be gone, and no Lindback/Bishop. Probably lose a pick somewhere, too, a second... so no Kucherov. We'd also not be in a position (possibly) to be getting Drouin. Crazy.

2016cupwinners

May 2, 2013
Some thoughts...I don't know how much player movement the Bolts have in mind for this off-season, but I'm pretty sure missing the playoffs is not what Yzerman expected when he spent all that money last off season. He's probably not happy.

Current forwards:

Malone- Stamkos- St. Louis
Killorn- Lecavalier- Purcell
Pouliot- Thompson-------
Pyatt---------- Crombeen

Guys who might be moved: Malone, Pouliot, maybe Pyatt. *Purcell has a no trade clause I think.
NHL ready Crunch forwards: C Johnson, LW Palat, maybe RW Panik, RW Connolly, RW Wyman, LW Labrie. Wyman could possibly beat out Pyatt, but they are the same player other than Wyman being a bit taller. The Bolts may look for a grittier replacement for Pyatt.

Johnson could bump Thompson down to 4C without even breaking a sweat, both on offense and defense. My opinion of Palat is higher than most people's apparently. If either Malone or Pouliot leave, I have no doubt Palat can handle it well. Pouliot played poorly after Cooper took over, so I'm going to guess he is the one to leave. Maybe they both go, who knows. So before any trade or draft pick consideration, we have:

Malone- Stamkos- St. Louis
Killorn- Lecavalier- Purcell
Palat- Johnson- Panik--- I think Cooper would like this line for some reason.
Pyatt- Thompson- Crombeen

Trade for a gritty Pyatt replacement, or perhaps Labrie can do it. Forward 2-way play would be better. Forward grittiness would be about the same though.

Edit: Purcell does not have a no trade clause, which increases the chances of him being moved for a defenseman.

Last edited:

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
I'm not sure Labrie is good enough to be an everyday player. Wyman can be a good two way player, but I just dont see him getting a roster spot. I also don't see Malone being here, and Palat I think they'll take time with, but its hard to say.

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
I'm not sure Labrie is good enough to be an everyday player. Wyman can be a good two way player, but I just dont see him getting a roster spot. I also don't see Malone being here, and Palat I think they'll take time with, but its hard to say.

Labrie is an interesting one for sure. I would agree with you, but towards the end of the year he started to come on a little bit. He isnt a scorer, by any means, but I also think we need a tough forward like him around, especially if Malone gets bought out (I dont think he wants to be traded). Id much rather us have labrie around than someone like Pouiliot, simply because he fills a toughness need.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
(...)

Edit: Purcell does not have a no trade clause, which increases the chances of him being moved for a defenseman.
I don't think Purcell will be traded. Not yet at least. Why? For two reasons: 1, because he still produces and has only missed three games in three full seasons with the Lightning. 2, for the same reason I don't see a Brewer buyout/trade happening at this point in time (except maybe in a package for another D). You need guys who've been there, who have experience and are able to guide the Johnsons, Palats and Paniks of this team.

Also, depth. Malone is very likely gone. Our top-6 veteran core would consist of Stamkos, St. Louis and Vinny (who will most likely miss 15-25 games anyway) and that's it. I loved the energy the Crunch kids brought into the lineup last season but ultimately we finished with the 3rd overall pick. All youth and talent without leadership and relief doesn't get you far. Just look at the Oilers. And I dare to say it's not going to get easier with teams like the Bruins, Red Wings, Senators etc. in our new division.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I don't think Purcell will be traded. Not yet at least. Why? For two reasons: 1, because he still produces and has only missed three games in three full seasons with the Lightning. 2, for the same reason I don't see a Brewer buyout/trade happening at this point in time (except maybe in a package for another D). You need guys who've been there, who have experience and are able to guide the Johnsons, Palats and Paniks of this team.

Also, depth. Malone is very likely gone. Our top-6 veteran core would consist of Stamkos, St. Louis and Vinny (who will most likely miss 15-25 games anyway) and that's it. I loved the energy the Crunch kids brought into the lineup last season but ultimately we finished with the 3rd overall pick. All youth and talent without leadership and relief doesn't get you far. Just look at the Oilers. And I dare to say it's not going to get easier with teams like the Bruins, Red Wings, Senators etc. in our new division.

I agree. Its going to be difficult to contend next year. Even for playoffs. With all of these young guys needing to get experience including the 3rd overall who will likely play with the team next year, its going to be tough to contend with those teams. They have been there and done it. It may be another year or two before this team starts to contend for playoffs again. My hope is that a full offseason and training camp under Coop will help out. Plus SY needs to have a great offseason. Its certainly an interesting time to be a Lightning fan. I know a lot of people including Lightning fans were writing us off in Bouchers first year but that team had a lot more experience. It will be interesting to see what moves are made this offseason.

2016cupwinners

May 2, 2013

Purcell and Hedman are the only 2 valuable guys we have that do not have no trade clauses. That puts them in a dangerous position. We are trying to improve our defense though, so that only leaves Purcell. It will be difficult to get a good defenseman out of an injury prone Malone, maybe Yzerman can do it though. We could move our 1st or 2nd round pick, but I don't think that would be smart, as we have already lost our 3rd and 4th rounders and we are at the max cap so would still have to dump some salary. Also, Purcell is a great player, but Cooper likes grittiness and consistent work ethic. Those are not Purcells strong points. Those were my thoughts on it anyway.

I loved the energy the Crunch kids brought into the lineup last season but ultimately we finished with the 3rd overall pick.

That sounds like you blame rookies for the bad season, but Killorn was the only one to get a lot of games until near the end of the season. We started with a vet heavy team because we expected to make the playoffs, but our vets just couldn't do it despite the team being mostly healthy.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Purcell and Hedman are the only 2 valuable guys we have that do not have no trade clauses. That puts them in a dangerous position. We are trying to improve our defense though, so that only leaves Purcell. It will be difficult to get a good defenseman out of an injury prone Malone, maybe Yzerman can do it though. We could move our 1st or 2nd round pick, but I don't think that would be smart, as we have already lost our 3rd and 4th rounders and we are at the max cap so would still have to dump some salary. Also, Purcell is a great player, but Cooper likes grittiness and consistent work ethic. Those are not Purcells strong points. Those were my thoughts on it anyway.

That sounds like you blame rookies for the bad season, but Killorn was the only one to get a lot of games until near the end of the season. We started with a vet heavy team because we expected to make the playoffs, but our vets just couldn't do it despite the team being mostly healthy.

I definitely agree about Purcell. I think he's got incredible skill but he's very inconsistent. If we could build a package around him for a top 2 dman, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
(...) That sounds like you blame rookies for the bad season, but Killorn was the only one to get a lot of games until near the end of the season. We started with a vet heavy team because we expected to make the playoffs, but our vets just couldn't do it despite the team being mostly healthy.
I'm not blaming anybody. All I'm saying is this: Subtract Malone (buyout/trade) and Vinny for parts (injury) from the roster and it doesn't look too good in terms of depth and experience ("veteranship") heading into a much tougher division. Now subtract Purcell as well (trade for D) and our forward corps looks really thin. I'm not sure the Crunch kids are ready to shoulder that much responsibility yet. Instead of throwing them in at the deep end I'd prefer having them ease into bigger roles over the course of more than just half a shortened season.

Also, regarding Purcell's attitude and consistency: Maybe Cooper taking over in Tampa was the best thing that could happen to him. Barring a "too good to be true"-offer let's just see how Edward's doing under Coop's regiment before we discuss trading him just yet.

Bolts265

Nov 9, 2011
Zephyrhills, FL

Don't you think that adjective may be a tensy, wensy strong to describe Purcell? I look at Stamkos, Ovechkin, Crosby etc. as "great". You putting him in that category?:shakehead

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
Don't you think that adjective may be a tensy, wensy strong to describe Purcell? I look at Stamkos, Ovechkin, Crosby etc. as "great". You putting him in that category?:shakehead

The players you listed are elite, Purcell qualifies as good/great when he's on. But therein lies the problem.

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009

But he is, or at least has shown he can be, much better than just average or good. He has the capability to be "great", he just doesn't show it on a consistent basis.

2016cupwinners

May 2, 2013
That's a good point about Cooper maybe being able to help Purcell, Coop is a pretty good motivator.

We could take a minimal trade, wait and see if the guys mesh approach to this season. 5 D, Hedman, Salo, Carle, Brewer, Gudas have contracts already. Aulie is RFA. That would leave 1-2 spots open for Korobov 24, Barberio 23, Taormina 26, Sustr 22. These guys aren't teenagers anymore, they should be given a shot at some point. I like all 4 of those guys, so that would be ok with me. There are many ways this off season could go, it should be interesting.

Steve Yzerman

A New Season Begins
Mar 11, 2013
Mississauga

No, Crosby, Stamkos, Oveckhin can be labelled as 'elite'. It's fair to label Purcell as a great player.

Cigar City

Apr 21, 2012
Tampa
I'm not blaming anybody. All I'm saying is this: Subtract Malone (buyout/trade) and Vinny for parts (injury) from the roster and it doesn't look too good in terms of depth and experience ("veteranship") heading into a much tougher division. Now subtract Purcell as well (trade for D) and our forward corps looks really thin. I'm not sure the Crunch kids are ready to shoulder that much responsibility yet. Instead of throwing them in at the deep end I'd prefer having them ease into bigger roles over the course of more than just half a shortened season.

Also, regarding Purcell's attitude and consistency: Maybe Cooper taking over in Tampa was the best thing that could happen to him. Barring a "too good to be true"-offer let's just see how Edward's doing under Coop's regiment before we discuss trading him just yet.

Amen.

jg39

SFY is great
Aug 16, 2007
NC
This post has a few posts in mind, but here is my take on some things I have read:

-Pyatt is a great bottom 6 player, and a hard worker. He is a guy I think we should keep through the season (a bargain at $600k), and keep around to show the AHL forwards that hard work every shift needs to be a product of this team.

-While Pouliot did not play well under Cooper, I would think that was more due to returning from injury more than Cooper's coaching. Pouliot showed flashes of brilliance in the top 6, and could fill a role if his play is consistent and injury-free this season (pending a new contract since he's a RFA).

-Purcell doesn't need to be traded right now. If Cooper can dial in the Purcell that makes plays, controls the puck, makes those seeing-eye passes, while eliminating loafing Teddy, Purcell will be a slam dunk top 6 forward on this team. As noted earlier, though, the problem with TP is hisinconsistent play.

-When Malone is healthy and allowed to play the game he's capable of, he is a guy you want on your team. However, I believe we can collectively agree that it's been awhile since we've seen that. At $4.5m/season, it's a bit of a Matt Carle situation, in that we wouldn't mind his imperfect play if he wasn't such a cap hit. At this point, if there is something decent to get for him, I say take it. I like Malone, but vintage Malone: fighting, hard working, can't be pushed off the puck, garbage goals Malone. Not the frequently injured, floating, whatever last season was Malone.

-I cannot wait for training camp, and to see who of the young prospect talent will be this year's Killorn and Conacher (minus the "traded for a goalie" part). I really feel the 3rd line has potential to be an all Crunch line, something like Palat-Johnson-Panik.

-The draft needs to get here. I feel like it's at the point where we are comparing how Drouin and Nichushkin are tying their skates, and which elbow pad goes on first.

2016cupwinners

May 2, 2013
So you say keep Purcell, Pouliot, Pyatt and trade Malone. In other words, you want a soft top six, along with a soft bottom six. Perhaps we can write the Boston Bruins a letter asking them to not hit our guys, because we don't want them to get hurt.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
So you say keep Purcell, Pouliot, Pyatt and trade Malone. In other words, you want a soft top six, along with a soft bottom six. Perhaps we can write the Boston Bruins a letter asking them to not hit our guys, because we don't want them to get hurt.

A finesse top 6 is working well for the Blackhawks. It also worked out for us this past season. What was it, 3rd in goals for? We need to take out the weakest link in Malone. He sucks. You'd be crazy not to trade him for a good d-man. He doesn't hit anymore, even on the rare occasion that he's healthy.

2016cupwinners

May 2, 2013
Chicago has great 2-way players, ours are below average defensively, not the same thing. You don't know Cooper very well if you think he is going to have a soft team. There will be some grit on the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad