Speculation: Off-Season 2013 - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pontius Palat

Lurker
Dec 7, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta
If you're not a fan of outlandish ideas feel free to skip this post. I think with some slick maneuvering Tampa can sign Pietrangelo.

1) Trade/buyout Malone and Brewer
2) Offer Pietrangelo $11 million for 1 year or $9-10 million for longer (Definitely without a NTC)

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Teddy Purcell ($4.500m) / Steven Stamkos ($7.500m) / Martin St. Louis ($5.625m)
Alexander Killorn ($0.875m) / Vincent Lecavalier ($7.727m) / Brett Connolly ($1.633m)
Ondrej Palat ($0.579m) / Tyler Johnson ($0.900m) / Richard Panik ($0.900m)
Tom Pyatt ($0.600m) / Nate Thompson ($1.600m) / B.J. Crombeen ($1.150m)
DEFENSEMEN
Victor Hedman ($4.000m) / Alex Pietrangelo ($11.300m)
Matt Carle ($5.500m) / Sami Salo ($3.750m)
Mark Barberio ($0.900m) / Radko Gudas ($0.992m)
GOALTENDERS
Ben Bishop ($2.300m)
Anders Lindback ($1.800m)
OTHER
Buyout: Vinny Prospal ($1.167m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $65,298,106; BONUSES: $1,020,000
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $21,894

We'd be squeezed right up against the cap and have little room to do anything but this would immediately transform us into a legit threat. The following summer we'd trade Purcell and let Salo walk to make room for resigning the young guys (Connolly, Killorn, Panik, Palat, Johnson). For 2 years at least we could have a pretty beastly team. We'd lose 4 first round picks but would most likely get that back by dealing Pietro's rights or getting that back in compensation. Very videogamish proposal, but it'd be unreal.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
There are many horrible trade proposals on HF, but I think the poster in the Toronto - Tampa thread takes the cake for the worst I've ever seen.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Any chance Jaroslav Janus returns from the KHL this year? The kid definitely has an NHL future ahead of him, but what's his likely move for this year?

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Any chance Jaroslav Janus returns from the KHL this year? The kid definitely has an NHL future ahead of him, but what's his likely move for this year?

There's interest in bringing him back, and Janus has said he'd like to come back too, but there's no news on anything happening yet.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
There are many horrible trade proposals on HF, but I think the poster in the Toronto - Tampa thread takes the cake for the worst I've ever seen.

I was reading through it and wondering what was so bad. The initial trade proposal was bad, but not bad enough to warrant a post here...

And then I got to page 3 :shakehead:shakehead:shakehead

TBLHoser

Jul 2, 2009
Sunshine State

Wow....I'm at a total loss for words....that must be one massive empty space with a little marble rolling around in there....there has to be an echo when they talk....

ArmchairGoalie

May 18, 2011
Largo, FL
Wow....I'm at a total loss for words....that must be one massive empty space with a little marble rolling around in there....there has to be an echo when they talk....

I try to avoid going over there for fear that my IQ would drop as well. What trades are they suggesting?

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009
I try to avoid going over there for fear that my IQ would drop as well. What trades are they suggesting?

Make sure you're sitting down before you read further.

Are you sitting?

Ok

Vinny, to play one year as #1C and then be bought out
Kucherov
Gudas
Our 2nd rd pick, #33 overall
2014 1st rd pick, top ten protected

For (and if the above wasn't silly enough, here's where it gets really good)

Grabovski
Komisarek

The worst thing is, I think this person may have meant this to be a serious proposal.

ArmchairGoalie

May 18, 2011
Largo, FL

Are you sitting?

Ok

Kucherov
Gudas

Grabovski
Komisarek

The worst thing is, I think this person may have meant this to be a serious proposal.

Wow.....i mean, wow. :huh::loony:

I know the Tampa Bay Rays are the farm system for the rest of MLB, but I didn't realize the Lightning were (for the NHL) as well.

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012

Are you sitting?

Ok

Kucherov
Gudas

Grabovski
Komisarek

Well they still think they do us a favour if they take Lecavalier off our hands....... :help:

TurboBrick

Mar 26, 2012
SATX
Hey, here's an idea... You can't resign a player you use your amnesty buyout on, right? So does that mean that we can trade Lecavalier + 7th rounder for Luongo, then both teams buy the players out and we sign Vinny back as a free agent for chump change because he already has his big contract in his pocket as guaranteed income?

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
Hey, here's an idea... You can't resign a player you use your amnesty buyout on, right? So does that mean that we can trade Lecavalier + 7th rounder for Luongo, then both teams buy the players out and we sign Vinny back as a free agent for chump change because he already has his big contract in his pocket as guaranteed income?

This would actually work, but with the difference, that Luongo might not want to resign in Vancouver. SO I think we would ahve to give up a 2nd rounder in 2014 or so to make this happen. Same could happen with the Islanders.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation

Pretty sure the NHL would chase you for cap circumvention though(going against the spirit of the CBA, see New Jersey/Kovy deal)

Ismellofhockey

Mar 31, 2002
Visit site
Pardon my ignorance but I've been living in Asia and haven't watched a lot of hockey in recent years. What's wrong with Malone? Why is he being considered for a buyout?

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
He's really not worth his cap hit, lacks compete level, has a NMC, and younger kids from Syracuse can easily replace him.

I think every effort will be made to try and trade him (low second, high third). His NMC converts to a limited NTC (can't remember but something 12 team hes can give).

His cap hit greatly exceeds salary from now on, so ideal for a team trying to reach the cap floor, but I doubt any of those would be in his list.

If no trade offers then a buy out seems likely.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I think every effort will be made to try and trade him (low second, high third). His NMC converts to a limited NTC (can't remember but something 12 team hes can give).

His cap hit greatly exceeds salary from now on, so ideal for a team trying to reach the cap floor, but I doubt any of those would be in his list.

If no trade offers then a buy out seems likely.
That's correct.

KNOWN CLAUSES (note: if player has been traded, clauses may no longer apply): NMC (2008-09 through 2012-13); NTC (2013-14 and 2014-15, can submit a 12-team trade list)
http://www.capgeek.com/player/886

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Ideally would be great to trade him and then buy somebody else out. Problem is exactly what was said above. Hes got a high cap hit and isnt worth that amount. However big guys like him are in demand. Maybe somebody will bite.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
There's interest in bringing him back, and Janus has said he'd like to come back too, but there's no news on anything happening yet.

Thanks.

How did Dmitry Korobov play this year? I only saw him play 2-3 times and didn't hear much about him. Will he be an NHL player one day? Or return to the KHL?

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
Thanks.

How did Dmitry Korobov play this year? I only saw him play 2-3 times and didn't hear much about him. Will he be an NHL player one day? Or return to the KHL?

Well haven't seen him more than you, but the Crunch followers around here see NHL upside in him and he could hit NHL ice this season as a callup. Because right now he is our 8th defender and will battle Barberio for the first callup.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Rich Smith ‏@ALLsportsINTEL
BREAKING NHL UPDATE - Source close to the situation reports Tampa Bay Lightning expected to buy out Ryan Malone. No buy out for Lecavalier

Not sure on credibility though

Pontius Palat

Lurker
Dec 7, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta
Not sure on credibility though

I'd be shocked if a team like Phoenix wouldn't chuck at least a 6th round pick on him. If Dallas paid Gonchar millions more than he was worth just to hit the cap then surely there's a demand for Malone's contract.

EDIT:

Rich Smith ‏@ALLsportsINTEL 28 Mar
BREAKING NHL UPDATE - Montreal Canadians working on a deal for Martin St. Louis , source says Briere was option until his recent injury.

Rich Smith ‏@ALLsportsINTEL 28 Mar
NHL UPDATE - Boston Bruins exploring every option, sources report today the Bruins have called about Ryan Malone, Ales Hemsky and more.

And he just keeps on going...

Rich Smith ‏@ALLsportsINTEL 2 Jul
BREAKING NHL UPDATE According to multiple sources Parise has reached deal with the Penguins.

I'm not gonna put any stock into this guy...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad