Speculation: OEL trade speculation megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
On one hand, it's hilarious that players still don't wanna go to Edmonton despite McDavid and Draisaitl.

On the other hand, it's honestly semi-disappointing...

The Oilers are already in cap jail and getting OEL would've cemented cap hell for the foreseeable future.

Not to mention the assets Edmonton would've given up to take on his bad contract.

Sigh.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
#1 dman would look good in Vancouver imo.

Looks like he and Goligoski have been sharing notes.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
well OEL ... go f*** yourself :laugh:

enjoy Calgary ...... :biglaugh:, its like Arizona, much warmer, almost like a resort, no pressure, no one will know you ..... ........ ....

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
DANGGGGGGGGG a team has Mcdavid and Drai and players still dont want to live in Edmonton. That is not a good look!

Reactions: Devonator

Baberham Lincoln

Nov 5, 2019
Toronto
I wonder if the players that actually played in the Edm bubble changed their mind about Edm at all? You would think that the Oilers brass would have used the opportunity to make players feel really welcome.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
If this were the 80's era Oilers, players would waive for Edmonton in a heartbeat. Championships=Desireable destination.

Edmonton has been a tirefire for 15 years. That plays a huge role in not wanting to be there.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I have to visit Arizona one day, especially since I play golf (not well).

It amazes me how many hockey players want to stay there and play for that franchise over going elsewhere. I have to see for myself what it is about Arizona.

Vegas I get. Been there, want to return A S A P. No brainer. But Arizona?

:help:

Reactions: Devonator

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Your talking about a player who signed long term in Arizona.

I mean, true. I'd leave too, but one or two players just can't be relied on to be a draw anymore. McD and Drai are obviously great players, but you'd have to believe that there are concerns about Edmonton's potential as a contender.

It's tough with OEL because he has a big contract and not a lot of contenders are going to have space for him. He's probably comfortable in ARZ, and that's understandable. He's spent his whole career there.

Reactions: featherhawk

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
I know Edmonton really doesn't have the playoff success, but OEL really wouldn't want to have the chance at playing with McDavid and Draisaitl?

I say it all the time, but hockey is a job and a profession for a lot of these players.

Winning is probably not the #1 priority, for most its quality of life!

This is very damning to the Oilers, knowing they cant even lure top players to come play in Edmonton even though they arguable have the best 1-2 in the game.

They will have to severely over pay for UFA's to play in Edmonton in the future and or hope that the NHL/NHLPA abolishes the No movement or no trade clauses

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I wonder if the players that actually played in the Edm bubble changed their mind about Edm at all? You would think that the Oilers brass would have used the opportunity to make players feel really welcome.

How involved were the Oilers in the Edmonton bubble?

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
If a player refused to waive to go to a team like Edmonton, I wouldnt want him on my team.
A team that's been mostly mismanaged for over a decade. You can see why someone wouldn't want to head into that situation.

I think people are hoping McDavid and Drai are going to the the next gen Malkin/Crosby for the city of Edmonton, but a handful of bad moves wasn't able to capitalize on that.

Can't personally say anything about Edmonton as a city, but several players (and wives) aren't exactly thrilled going there historically.

Reactions: kgboomer and Kahvi
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad