Speculation: OEL trade speculation megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
The only way from Van's side that makes sense to me would be something along the lines of:

LE, JV, OJ(or Rathbone) for OEL(preferably 1m retained, but I heard AZ will not retain at all)

Personally I think OEL has 4-5 more years of being an elite defender if he is on a better team, but this is the most Vancouver should be willing to do. Since it will likely cost more, we should walk away.

What's the world record for shortest time being a GM in the NHL because Bill Armstrong will be fired on the spot if he accepted that offer.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
OEL makes an 8.25 million dollar cap hit until he is 35, and he is 29 (older than our core) now.

Any deal would have to involve a cap dump heading back to Arizona, or failing that some major retention.

Ekman-Larsson also has a higher salary coming up compared to his cap hit, and Arizona is already pushing at the upper extreme of the cap with 3 UFAs (Hall, Richardson and Soderberg) and 3 RFAs (Fischer, Hinostroza and Lyubushkin) pending (Hossa's "LTIR" cap hit is included as part of Arizona's cap hit for now, it will come off the books when the season starts). My guess would be that the saved cap hit would go towards Hall, but I can't see them wanting cap hit back.

OEL is also a LD, and we're covered there as far as I can tell: Edler as our elder statesman, and still a top four, Hughes is our present and future number one, and Juolevi, Rathbone, Benn, Teves, Brisebois, and knowing us, a random UFA or university signing, are fighting for our 3/4 LHD spot. Green hates playing D on their off side.

I'm not seeing a fit here. Even if, asset wise, Arizona gives us a screaming deal, I'm more concerned about the fit on this team. Do we move Edler? Did we premier Juolevi to showcase him for a trade? Is Rathbone not part of our future? Do we have a parallel deal in place for Hughes?

Reactions: Dave Ayers

Rydgar

Jul 15, 2010
Surrey, BC
Isn't OEL LHD? Can he play right side?

He's not even a need since our LHD depth is Hughes, Edler, Joulevi, Benn, Rathbone. Its the right side we need help with.

Considering his performance to cap hit ratio, I wouldn't go more than Eriksson, Virtanen and Stecher. Of course this wouldn't make sense unless Arizona is looking to slash and burn NHL salary which appears to be the case and OEL is being picky on who he'll waive for.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
OEL to Vancouver makes no sense, As it is just to resign Markstrom, Toffoli and Tanev Benning will need to move out some of his bad contracts like. Eriksson, Sutter, Baertschi and teams aren't going to help them out. Plus add OEL and his $8,250,000 for 7 years on top plus give big contracts to Pettersson and Hughes next summer. Good luck with that.

Reactions: Nosskire ot Elgaeb

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
What's the world record for shortest time being a GM in the NHL because Bill Armstrong will be fired on the spot if he accepted that offer.
Probably, and also probably why we end up staying away. JB probably called AZ as it is his job to inquire on any player available that can improve out team. I beat 29 other GM's called and had the same conversation.

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015

He's not even a need since our LHD depth is Hughes, Edler, Joulevi, Benn, Rathbone. Its the right side we need help with.

Considering his performance to cap hit ratio, I wouldn't go more than Eriksson, Virtanen and Stecher. Of course this wouldn't make sense unless Arizona is looking to slash and burn NHL salary which appears to be the case.
Hughes can play his offside. In the VERY unlikelyhood we acquire him, we would have OEL and Hughes as our top pairing. Personally, if we are breaking the bank on a dman, i think it should be for Ekblad.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Loui Eriksson could also cover a large chunk of OEL’s cap. Just saying.
8.25 for 7 more years, which takes OEL to 37 YO is a pretty scary deal. Not sure 2 years of LE, as bad as his deal is makes ir worth it. I could see the back end of OEL's deal being worse than what LE is now.

Reactions: Peter Griffin

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
OEL to Vancouver makes no sense, As it is just to resign Markstrom, Toffoli and Tanev Benning will need to move out some of his bad contracts like. Eriksson, Sutter, Baertschi and teams aren't going to help them out. Plus add OEL and his $8,250,000 for 7 years on top plus give big contracts to Pettersson and Hughes next summer. Good luck with that.
If we dump LE it is only an extra 2.25m in cap space and we would be spending more than that(with keeping le) on our top 4 this off season anyways.

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
8.25 for 7 more years, which takes OEL to 37 YO is a pretty scary deal. Not sure 2 years of LE, as bad as his deal is makes ir worth it. I could see the back end of OEL's deal being worse than what LE is now.
True, but with any luck, the flat cap is over with by then and we gain more space that way. There is a chance that teams get a free buy-out next summer with how Covid is going.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
I don't agree that Boeser would certainly be the one going back...

The whole point of trading for OEL is to increase your chances of winning the Cup, so it doesn't make sense to include Boeser...

OEL for Eriksson, Juolevi, 2021 1st, and a prospect seems about right
Juolevi is a nothing prospect at this point. Make that Podkolzin and thats fair

Youre asking Arizona to trade one of their best dmen, take a huge cap dump, and get no roster worthwhile player in return

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010

Considering his performance to cap hit ratio, I wouldn't go more than Eriksson, Virtanen and Stecher. Of course this wouldn't make sense unless Arizona is looking to slash and burn NHL salary which appears to be the case and OEL is being picky on who he'll waive for.

Our relevant LHD depth is Hughes. That's it.

Edler is 34 and signed through the end of this year. Juolevi and Rathbone are lottery tickets, and not sure things to become bottom pairing defenders. Benn is a bottom pairing defender.

It would not be the worst thing in the world to build around Hughes and OEL as the top 4 LHD. In that case, you let Tanev walk, keep Stecher for the next few years, and work to find another top 4 RHD down the line.

That's even if you can dump Loui Eriksson.

Any deal would obviously rely on Arizona taking Eriksson.

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
Do not want at all. OEL's contract is going to be one of the worst contracts in the NHL in a couple years.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
oel makes sense to the canucks only as an opportunistic bargain. we're cap strapped and not looking for lhd and short of draft picks this year. so the ask has to be low and they would need to take a bucket load of our unwanted aav back. arizona needs to unload cash so if they take back aav it has to be cheap in real dollar terms.

the only player we have with substantial cheap aav is eriksson.

so you have to build a deal around eriksson + ?. and the ? would need to include a $2m+ player.

that seems rather unlikely to be a fit, but, by all means, canucks offer eriksson and baertschi plus a prospect other than podkholzin of your choice.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I know Edmonton really doesn't have the playoff success, but OEL really wouldn't want to have the chance at playing with McDavid and Draisaitl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad