Proposal: OEL for a Center

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
How's it purely speculative on my part? When players sign long term deal with their teams, It's generally because they like playing there and want to be apart of that organization.
He probably doesn't want to leave. But there seems to be some smoke around him and Tocchet having issues. And if the team approaches him about a trade, that tends to change things quite a bit for players. Especially a guy who's not married and has no kids. Especially if the interested team is a contender, like the St. Louis example (for Brayden Schenn). I could absolutely see OEL being willing to entertain the idea of getting moved to the Blues as an example.

Montreal feels more far-fetched. OEL seems like a guy who prefers a lower profile. Then there's also the tax situation. And while Montreal looks like they've got a bright future, they haven't shown a whole lot yet. Not unlike the Coyotes, really.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Schenn for OEL is probably a good basis for a trade, but i doubt STL moves Schenn having JUST extended him for 8-years at a reasonable cap hit ($6.5M/yr). That wouldn't sit well with free-agents, but in a fantasy hockey scenario, you'd have yourself a deal. In the real world, I just don't see it happening. Blues would need to bank some cap space in such a trade as well, so you'd likely need to take back Steen, Bozak or Allen.

Tampa may have the forward depth to beef up their blueline. Gourde (for salary) & Cirelli for OEL? Cap would be a concern there too.
Philly may be willing to part with Nolan Patrick with Frost and Rubtsov close, and Cooter, Hayes, Konecny & Laughton in place. Would probably need to send back Gostisbehere in the deal for $$$.

Kuz

May 11, 2015
Most teams does not have enough depth so if they trade a top end center for a defender they have created a new gap.

For the Caps Kuznetsov for OEL makes their defence really good, but they go from two top end centers to one top end center and Eller might fill in descently as he is one of the best 3rd C, but would be a low end 2nd C and the Caps are more likely to fill the LD gap with Alexeyev or Fehervary while at center they have McMichael who might become a really good center, but could end up a winger in the NHL. Also Kuznetsov is more of a gamechanger than OEL and I cant see OEL being as dominant as Kuznetsov was in Caps Stanley Cup wins, but he is more consistent in his performances.

So I wouldn't do it from the Caps, but Kuznetsov is probably around what Arizona would want in return a 1C with a similar contract (Kuz 0,45 mill cheaper) around the same age (Kuz one year younger) and tied to a contract for several years.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I know Strome doesn’t get it done and we can’t afford to move Zib, nor would we want to, but I wish the Rangers had the assets to get this done. OEL on the left would bolster this blue line and take it to another level. With Shesterkin, Fox, DeAngelo and Trouba (though I’d consider including him in a deal for a LD) the backend would look a lot better going forward. Unfortunately we don’t have the assets up front to make this kind of move.

Ishtabeat

Mar 19, 2020
I know Strome doesn’t get it done and we can’t afford to move Zib, nor would we want to, but I wish the Rangers had the assets to get this done. OEL on the left would bolster this blue line and take it to another level. With Shesterkin, Fox, DeAngelo and Trouba (though I’d consider including him in a deal for a LD) the backend would look a lot better going forward. Unfortunately we don’t have the assets up front to make this kind of move.
Rangers probably have the most assets in the league. There’s a trade there if they want it

rt

May 13, 2004
Most teams does not have enough depth so if they trade a top end center for a defender they have created a new gap.

For the Caps Kuznetsov for OEL makes their defence really good, but they go from two top end centers to one top end center and Eller might fill in descently as he is one of the best 3rd C, but would be a low end 2nd C and the Caps are more likely to fill the LD gap with Alexeyev or Fehervary while at center they have McMichael who might become a really good center, but could end up a winger in the NHL. Also Kuznetsov is more of a gamechanger than OEL and I cant see OEL being as dominant as Kuznetsov was in Caps Stanley Cup wins, but he is more consistent in his performances.

So I wouldn't do it from the Caps, but Kuznetsov is probably around what Arizona would want in return a 1C with a similar contract (Kuz 0,45 mill cheaper) around the same age (Kuz one year younger) and tied to a contract for several years.
Obviously, I'd love to add Kuznetsov. I'd definitely trade OEL for him. As for helping you with C depth, all I could really offer is to retain some salary on Derek Stepan.

rt

May 13, 2004
to ARI
R. Lindgren
L. Andersson
B.Smith(25%)
2020 NYR 2nd

to NYR
Ekman-Larsson
J. Oesterle
V.Hinostroza
2020 ARI 4th

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
to ARI
R. Lindgren
L. Andersson
B.Smith(25%)
2020 NYR 2nd

to NYR
Ekman-Larsson
J. Oesterle
V.Hinostroza
2020 ARI 4th

That seems like a very low price tag for OEL. I love Lindgren but you’ve got us mercifully dumping 75% of Smith’s last year, giving up Andersson who is now a large question mark and a 2nd as the only adds on Lindgren? I’d love to keep Lindy but if that were all it took to add OEL it’s tough to say no to that.

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Rangers probably have the most assets in the league. There’s a trade there if they want it

While the Rangers have a ton of assets, they don’t have a ton of expendable forward depth which seems to be the asking price. Zibanejad is quite plainly not in play. Not sure what NYR can realistically offer on the forward/center front that they’re willing to part with and has the value to land OEL. Assuming Zib, Panarin and Kakko are off the table? I can’t see any combination of forward depth that really gets it done for Arizona.

rt

May 13, 2004
That seems like a very low price tag for OEL. I love Lindgren but you’ve got us mercifully dumping 75% of Smith’s last year, giving up Andersson who is now a large question mark and a 2nd as the only adds on Lindgren? I’d love to keep Lindy but if that were all it took to add OEL it’s tough to say no to that.
Should it be a 1st, then? Does that make it more fair?

EDIT: Or maybe ditch the picks from both sides and add Lemieux?

to ARI
R. Lindgren
L. Andersson
B. Lemieux
B.Smith(25%)

to NYR
Ekman-Larsson
J. Oesterle
V.Hinostroza

Last edited:

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
OEL and soderberg for Schenn and Dunn.

Insane top pair and bolster to our left side and we add a #1 Defenceman in his prime which fits our current window.
OEL-Petro
Scandella-Parayko
Gunnar-Faulk

and with Thomas emerging and bozak likely gone in the offseason, Soderberg fills that 3c Role possibly even better than bozak does and we get tarasenko back which would more than makeup for schenns goal scoring ability we’re moving out. Tho I think most blues fan would agree Thomas is or imo has surpassed Schenn as the 2nd best overall center in STL and easily has the highest playmaking ability and vision on the team.

Sanford-ROR-Perron
Schwartz-Thomas-Tarasenko(most likely becomes top line)
Steen-Soderberg-Bozak
Barbs-Sunny-Blais

What are they paying to get rid of Bozaks 5 mil. Because thats kinda a lot for a 35ish pt 3C

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad