Proposal: OEL for a Center

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
The Coyotes need a center. They aren't ever going to get any better without one. OEL could possibly be a trade chip for one, I think. Trading a top-pairing D seems like an okay way to get a top six center, right? That kind of thing happens from time-to-time.

So who's the best center Arizona could get in exchange for OEL?

I've asked about RNH and Oilers fans don't like the "fit" even if they do like the "value". The Trochek ship has sailed, obviously. Horvat seems to be a no-go. I've asked about Ryan Johansen and got varying reactions.

So now I want to crowd-source this thing. You guys figure it out. I need a center and I've got an OEL to offer.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Has OEL declined in the last year or so?
Feel like he was nearly untouchable a year or two ago?

Cross FLA off the list, outside Barkov, we have no highly valued C's. Good luck with your hunt though

rt

May 13, 2004
Has OEL declined in the last year or so?
Feel like he was nearly untouchable a year or two ago?

Cross FLA off the list, outside Barkov, we have no highly valued C's. Good luck with your hunt though
He has declined, yes. He's usually a lot better defensively than most people give him credit for (save for the odd major blunder that comes with huge minutes), so he hasn't really declined in that aspect (and was always underrated defensively, anyway). He seems to have struggled to play for Tocchet, quite honestly. They have both admitted to some major strain in their first season together. They then seem to act like they buried the hatchet and OEL got the captaincy, but it still seems like they just don't mesh well. They went from Scott Allen to Phil Housley but it doesn't seem to have made a difference. OEL just doesn't seem to demonstrate that high-flying, passionate, gambling style he had on the ice under Tippett as much. It's like someone turned the volume down on him. He's a little more...muted.

He could be a prime change-of-scenery guy. I could easily see him becoming a 20g elite #1 D like he was before Tocchet. The Coyotes offense has been horrible under Tocchet and their power play is a joke. I think if OEL had the right system and some good forwards to get he puck to, or use to pull away from defenders, he could easily rebound.

Also, the Coyotes just really need to be shaken to their core. The team can't seem to make any progress of any kind no matter what they do. They fired Tippett, and brought in Stepan, Hjalmarsson, Goligoski, Raanta, Kuemper, Kessel, and Hall. They got a new owner. They spend to the cap. They make big trades. They make ZERO progress of any kind. Nothing is working. They need to shake it all up again, I think.

So it's less about wanting to ditch OEL. I don't want to do that. He's a really good hockey player. But I do want to shakeup the team, and I do want a center. I feel like OEL is our best chip in acquiring a center.

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I think OEL would be the perfect partner for one of EK or Burns and so I would consider Couture, if there was another deal in place for a forward

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
He has declined, yes. He's usually a lot better defensively than most people give him credit for (save for the odd major blunder that comes with huge minutes), so he hasn't really declined in that aspect (and was always underrated defensively, anyway). He seems to have struggled to play for Tocchet, quite honestly. They have both admitted to some major strain in their first season together. They then seem to act like they buried the hatchet and OEL got the captaincy, but it still seems like they just don't mesh well. They went from Scott Allen to Phil Housley but it doesn't seem to have made a difference. OEL just doesn't seem to demonstrate that high-flying, passionate, gambling style he had on the ice under Tippett as much. It's like someone turned the volume down on him. He's a little more...muted.

He could be a prime change-of-scenery guy. I could easily see him becoming a 20g elite #1 D like he was before Tocchet. The Coyotes offense has been horrible under Tocchet and their power play is a joke. I think if OEL had the right system and some good forwards to get he puck to, or use to pull away from defenders, he could easily rebound.

Also, the Coyotes just really need to be shaken to their core. The team can't seem to make any progress of any kind no matter what they do. They fired Tippett, and brought in Stepan, Hjalmarsson, Goligoski, Raanta, Kuemper, Kessel, and Hall. They got a new owner. They spend to the cap. They make big trades. They make ZERO progress of any kind. Nothing is working. They need to shake it all up again, I think.

So it's less about wanting to ditch OEL. I don't want to do that. He's a really good hockey player. But I do want to shakeup the team, and I do want a center. I feel like OEL is our best chip in acquiring a center.

I feel the pain as a Panther fan. Always rooting for the Coyotes in the West.
We just had our shakeup core move with Trocheck and still need to add on defense. Wish there was a mutual benefiting move for both teams.

I really thought adding Kessel would help the depth scoring and then to bring in Hall, had you guys in the top 3 of the Pacific and still in sight if season comes back ASAP.

At least you're trading from a position of strength, still a bit salty about losing out on Soderstrom, really wanted him in the draft. All the best in the West.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
If there wasn't already all that history between them I would look at moving something around Domi for OEL and re-signing Danault. Can't see it happening though.

Reactions: HabsTown and Fenris

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
I think OEL would be the perfect partner for one of EK or Burns and so I would consider Couture, if there was another deal in place for a forward

Wouldn't the Sharks then be paying almost 35M for their top 4 D? It would be like a reverse Leafs scenario.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Wouldn't the Sharks then be paying almost 35M for their top 4 D? It would be like a reverse Leafs scenario.
I mean it would cover their awful goaltending. I think that this would only happen if the Sharks had a deal for Vlasic or Burns for another forward.

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
Matthews for OEL

He's going to AZ anyways in 5 years mine as well get some return for him

Before the falme I'm Kidding boys

Reactions: Nucks2477

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
OEL and soderberg for Schenn and Dunn.

Insane top pair and bolster to our left side and we add a #1 Defenceman in his prime which fits our current window.
OEL-Petro
Scandella-Parayko
Gunnar-Faulk

and with Thomas emerging and bozak likely gone in the offseason, Soderberg fills that 3c Role possibly even better than bozak does and we get tarasenko back which would more than makeup for schenns goal scoring ability we’re moving out. Tho I think most blues fan would agree Thomas is or imo has surpassed Schenn as the 2nd best overall center in STL and easily has the highest playmaking ability and vision on the team.

Sanford-ROR-Perron
Schwartz-Thomas-Tarasenko(most likely becomes top line)
Steen-Soderberg-Bozak
Barbs-Sunny-Blais

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
How about Danault? Excellent in faceoff, solid two way game and good for 50-60 points a year. Also only 26 years old.

rt

May 13, 2004
OEL and soderberg for Schenn and Dunn.

Insane top pair and bolster to our left side and we add a #1 Defenceman in his prime which fits our current window.
OEL-Petro
Scandella-Parayko
Gunnar-Faulk

and with Thomas emerging and bozak likely gone in the offseason, Soderberg fills that 3c Role possibly even better than bozak does and we get tarasenko back which would more than makeup for schenns goal scoring ability we’re moving out. Tho I think most blues fan would agree Thomas is or imo has surpassed Schenn as the 2nd best overall center in STL and easily has the highest playmaking ability and vision on the team.

Sanford-ROR-Perron
Schwartz-Thomas-Tarasenko(most likely becomes top line)
Steen-Soderberg-Bozak
Barbs-Sunny-Blais
Soderberg is UFA. What about Stepan?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad