Post-Game Talk: October 2, 2013| vs. Toronto. Johnny B. GOODe; BAD to the Bone; UGLY Truth

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
But it's not all on Laviolette, unless he explicitly tells the team to spread out while entering the zone to minimize the chance of a pass getting through to you, or to pass from the half-boards through 2 defenders to a standing-still teammate who isn't even facing the net.

Ok so they don't want to listen to him.....why? Recurring theme....

StandingCow

May 15, 2010
But it's not all on Laviolette, unless he explicitly tells the team to spread out while entering the zone to minimize the chance of a pass getting through to you, or to pass from the half-boards through 2 defenders to a standing-still teammate who isn't even facing the net.

Oh definitely not all on him, I agree... but the lack of adjustment and same issues season after season are a problem. Why can't lavi get a full 60 from the team?

As you said in your article, our passing out of the D zone looked much better... so I think we will be better this year.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

I imagine he doesn't explicitly tell them to do those things, but i do wish he would tell them not to do those things.

Another favorite is when they try to support each other by being three feet apart skating into a herd of opposition players along the boards. The puck carrier won't even bother trying to use his teammate as a safety valve when he's pressured, they seem to hope it'll drift to him anyways when they meet resistance. It never does.

At least while exiting the D zone they've realized they can use both sides of the ice if one side looks difficult.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I imagine he doesn't explicitly tell them to do those things, but i do wish he would tell them not to do those things.

Another favorite is when they try to support each other by being three feet apart skating into a herd of opposition players along the boards. The puck carrier won't even bother trying to use his teammate as a safety valve when he's pressured, they seem to hope it'll drift to him anyways when they meet resistance. It never does.

At least while exiting the D zone they've realized they can use both sides of the ice if one side looks difficult.

Definitely, the responsibility for Groundhog Day losses is with the coach, and if nothing else for tuning him out. But one would think with the amount of offensive creativity in this roster, somebody would be able to open some space for a decent shot on net.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Definitely, the responsibility for Groundhog Day losses is with the coach, and if nothing else for tuning him out. But one would think with the amount of offensive creativity in this roster, somebody would be able to open some space for a decent shot on net.

We have creators...just not enough finishers...

I just don't know anymore....between Lavi with his coaching and Holmgren with his personnel moves you got to wonder if the two are just out of sync with what should be the direction/plan of the team and the right mix of players to execute the plan...

New Jersey has no offense but it just seems they'll be competitive this year and more consistent than the Flyers b/c they have a pretty seamless system especially now that Schneider is in the fold...

Jun 13, 2010
New Jersey
They progressively got worse as the game went on. The first period was great, second was ok, third was terrible. All in all though, I thought they played decently; not as horrendous as they looked in some of the preseason games.

Good - Read, Lecavalier, overall defensive play was much better

Bad - Powerplay

Ugly - Trying to come back from a one goal deficit

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
seems to be the same old Flyers. If they dont get anything from the PP they struggle to find ways to score goals.
At least they traded for Jonathan Bern........... oh wait nmind. who wants a unproven goalie with a lot of talent anyway.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
seems to be the same old Flyers. If they dont get anything from the PP they struggle to find ways to score goals.
At least they traded for Jonathan Bern........... oh wait nmind. who wants a unproven goalie with a lot of talent anyway.

The Flyers do love their goaltending projects, re-treads, and castaways. Leighton, Emery twice, Mason, Bob was one that worked out but ended up going away...Biron, Boucher.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
The Flyers do love their goaltending projects, re-treads, and castaways. Leighton, Emery twice, Mason, Bob was one that worked out but ended up going away...Biron, Boucher.

I guess we will never really know what the cost was for Bernier. For Schneider I guess the Canucks wanted Couturier.
didnt watch the game but from what I am reading Mason was not the problem. I for one have wanted Bernier here for quite awhile. I have watched this kid quite a bit and he is the real deal. unproven? probably. But I would have rolled the dice on whatever LA was asking for outside of Couturier.

EDIT: I know its only one game and its waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to early to panic but I think the fanbase has every right to be concerned that the trend continues. lack of 5 on 5 play. if they dont get a couple of PPG they likely are going to lose.
I am hoping that chemistry wise they need some time to mesh. Hopefully by the end of the month(hopefully sooner) they begin to sort it out and get on the same page.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I guess we will never really know what the cost was for Bernier. For Schneider I guess the Canucks wanted Couturier.
didnt watch the game but from what I am reading Mason was not the problem. I for one have wanted Bernier here for quite awhile. I have watched this kid quite a bit and he is the real deal. unproven? probably. But I would have rolled the dice on whatever LA was asking for outside of Couturier.

Mason wasn't the issue. I just don't have faith in him yet.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Bernier was the difference. Start was excellent. They could have easily been up 3 or 4 nil against other goalies.

Meszaros should not be on the 2nd PP unit and their "let G lag and take puck into zone on PP" strategy is not great because once he is in he doesn't know where to dump it and just tries to beat everyone.

B. Schenn with the puck on his stick for a millisecond, great, B. Schenn on the puck generally, weak. Voracek needs to be with G. Couturier did not look great.

feedingschennzy

Feb 11, 2012
The good: Vinny, Streit, Giroux, Read

The bad: mez, couturier, Schenn after the first period

The ugly: Simmonds, scratching Laughton, talbot on the 3rd line

All things considered I'm a little bit more optimistic after this game than I expected. Streit looked really sharp, having another steady puck mover really helps the transition game. Vinny was excellent, would love to see him maintain that level of play.

Giroux looked good, but he is surrounded whenever he touches the puck.

Meszaros has to go if we can get anything for him, I don't like him on the #2 PP unit and would rather give Gus a chance.

Overall after tonight I believe that homer did a really good job improving this roster in the offseason. At the same time I think Lavy has to go, I think the players are tired of him and I think the team will have much higher postseason odds if they have a coaching change

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Eh... I fell asleep half way through the second period, what happened? By that time, Vinny and G looked awesome and we dominated the rink :amazed:

OzFlyers

Registered Boozer
Jul 3, 2011
Australia
I thought we looked quite dangerous and controlled most of this game despite the loss. New additions Vinny, Mason and Streit looked pretty good.

I think that the Flyers will be an exciting team to watch this season!!

SgtJoseph*

I was satisfied with the Flyers overall level of play. Generated more pressure throughout the night, just couldn't quite find the target.

EXACTLY ! We had a ton of great quality scoring chances, give Bernier a lot of credit for a remarkable effort............Blaming Lavy, Homer, Mez, etc is sheer ignorant nonsense. All in all we had plenty of shots, and Mason played well, we just did not get the W .Next game many of those shots may go in and we roll, such are the ebbs and flows of hockey.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
I am probably in the minority, but last night was more concerning to me than the preseason. This team dominated until Toronto pushed back. Then they wilted. Didn't generate any prime scoring chances 5 on 5 and couldn't do anything once Toronto went up by a goal. Bernier made a ton of saves, but hardly any of them were spectacular. That is either a sign of a great positional effort by Bernier, which it was, or the flyers taking a lot of outside shots and not getting to rebounds, which also was the case.

I hate to be a sky is falling fan after one game, but what I saw last night 5 on 5 was a lot of what I saw last year. For an offensively aggressive team, they don't generate a lot of prime scoring chance at even strength. So either it's Laviolette system or the forward group is overrated. Hopefully I am wrong and it was all Bernier.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
EXACTLY ! We had a ton of great quality scoring chances, give Bernier a lot of credit for a remarkable effort............Blaming Lavy, Homer, Mez, etc is sheer ignorant nonsense. All in all we had plenty of shots, and Mason played well, we just did not get the W .Next game many of those shots may go in and we roll, such are the ebbs and flows of hockey.
I admire your optimism but to say the criticisms of Lavi and Homer are ignorant nonsense is truly ignorant...

StandingCow

May 15, 2010

Sheer ignorant nonsense would be looking at only one game and ignoring the past games.

Flyerss

Jun 23, 2013
simmonds_medium.gif

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I am probably in the minority, but last night was more concerning to me than the preseason. This team dominated until Toronto pushed back. Then they wilted. Didn't generate any prime scoring chances 5 on 5 and couldn't do anything once Toronto went up by a goal. Bernier made a ton of saves, but hardly any of them were spectacular. That is either a sign of a great positional effort by Bernier, which it was, or the flyers taking a lot of outside shots and not getting to rebounds, which also was the case.

I hate to be a sky is falling fan after one game, but what I saw last night 5 on 5 was a lot of what I saw last year. For an offensively aggressive team, they don't generate a lot of prime scoring chance at even strength. So either it's Laviolette system or the forward group is overrated. Hopefully I am wrong and it was all Bernier.
I thought the same thing...the Leafs were a totally different team in the 3rd and they were able to impose their will and we looked lost and frustrated like when the Devils impose their game on the Flyers with no response..

Flyerss

Jun 23, 2013
faceoffs: Couturier won 72.7% (8 of 11) and Hall won only 27.3% (3 of 11)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad