Post-Game Talk: October 2, 2013| vs. Toronto. Johnny B. GOODe; BAD to the Bone; UGLY Truth

ugiswrong

Dec 8, 2005
deutschland
gut:
vinny showed he could carry play
(devils' advocate: he's known for taking nights off, let's see if he shows up on the road)

mason's got quick legs
(d.a.: he's been consistent just one year)

streit can think and make quick decisions
(d.a.: he better, because he's not gonna win with skating or stickwork)

nicht gut:
voracek and couturier showed precious nothing
(d.a. they had barely ever played together and one was banged up)

simmonds' emotions and frustrations are loud and potentially negative for the team
(d.a. at least there's heart)

ugh-lee
hartnell is trying way too many strange cute plays
(d.a. he's confident)

laviolette's gameplan faded away
(d.a. bernier has a word for you)

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I guess nobody noticed that once the Leafs got the lead, they completely changed their style. Yea, its hard to come back on a team that just leaves 5 guys back the entire time. The reason the 3rd was ugly was because basically the Leafs just sat back and played strong D.

It was a up and down game. I've seen a lot worse from this team, it wasn't the worst game in the world. Bernier played unbelievable, that's gonna happen. Leafs should take him out to dinner, because that game with almost any other goalie would've probably been 3-1 or 4-1 Flyers by the 3rd period.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
A few things that need to be addressed.

1. Can we get someone (cough Voracek cough) to play with Giroux. Seriously it was terrible watching our best player struggle with Hartnell and Schenn.

2. Even if B Schenn got the goal I did not think he looked very good at all. I know he's still super young but you hope in his 3rd season he would start to show something.

3. How long do we wait for Mez to "shake off the rust"? 5 games? 10 games? 20? The whole season? The guy is seriously struggling to keep up with the play.

4. Sadly the team is looking the exact and I mean exact same way they did last season. The overall play. The 5v5 play. There needs to be some type of change and its not player wise. Lavy needs to be able to adjust the system based off who they are playing. He has shown though that he does not like doing that so it is a big decision to see who else is out there.

5. Talbot on the 3rd line is like a deer in headlights. Seriously I feel for the guy. I have no idea why Lavy continuously puts him there and hope he succeeds. Did Raffl play that bad that we get to watch Talbot struggle for 60 mins on the 3rd line? I don't think so.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
My final thought before I turn the page on tonight is Wayne Simmonds has to be the least dangerous man in the league when attempting a shootout/penalty shot.

He is bad, but only Giroux, Read and Hall have better shootout percentages than Simmonds. Basically we need G and Read to score to win any shootouts this year.

El Emperor

Apr 2, 2010
Woodstown, NJ
So isn't it funny how all teams need to do is get the lead then basically switch to the NJ Devils' cookie cutter way of beating this team? How long before Lavy is canned?

EDIT: By the way, I realize it was one game, but to go from lights out (and only managing one goal) to complete utter fail in the course of one game after struggling all preseason to score goals, you have to admit, something has to be coming.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
The Good:

1. Vinny Lecavalier and Matt Read looked great. That second line is going to be a load to handle for opposing teams' second pairs. The forecheck was very impressive.

2. Hartnell definitely looks like he's in better shape to start this season. He was active in all three zones and he created several scoring chances just from his work.

3. Streit was active and noticeable. He gives us two legitimate defensemen that can push the play in the offensive zone. Once he settles in, he'll be very good for us.

4. Grossmann looked great. He's limited, but he was excellent in his role last night.

The Bad:

1. Coburn, Mez, and Schenn looked just alright. But, they need at least Coburn and Schenn to be good every night for the defensive unit to hold up.

2. Mason looked ok. I know I might get blasted for this, but the rebound that led to the Kessel goal can't happen. I was a wobbling puck, but that puck must be controlled or pushed to the corner. Putting it back into the slot just gives a guy like Kessel an easy goal.

3. Giroux is forcing plays too much. He needs to just settle down and take what defenses give him.

The Ugly:

1. Lavy continues to get outclassed by opposing coaches. He had no adjustments after the Leafs took the lead and went into the defensive shell. They continued with the same forecheck, which played right into the Leafs' hands.

2. Lavy in going to ruin Couturier's development. You can only give a guy the ****** defensive assignments for so long without any offensive opportunities before they lose all interest. Sean's not a guy who's just lucky to be in the NHL, and that's glad to have any role. He was a premiere offensive player in juniors and was drafted as such. He expects to score points first and foremost.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Mason had to do the full splits just to get the bottom of his pad on the initial shot. It doesn't make sense to expect great rebound control in that situation.

Rosehill elbowed him, and he twisted his knee on the way down.

Now it's an elbow. :laugh: You guys are hilarious.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I guess nobody noticed that once the Leafs got the lead, they completely changed their style. Yea, its hard to come back on a team that just leaves 5 guys back the entire time. The reason the 3rd was ugly was because basically the Leafs just sat back and played strong D.

It was noticed.. it is gonna happen plenty throughout the season...what is Lavi's answer to it? Still havent seen it..just lots of confusion and sloppy play...

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
A few things that need to be addressed.

1. Can we get someone (cough Voracek cough) to play with Giroux. Seriously it was terrible watching our best player struggle with Hartnell and Schenn.

2. Even if B Schenn got the goal I did not think he looked very good at all. I know he's still super young but you hope in his 3rd season he would start to show something.

3. How long do we wait for Mez to "shake off the rust"? 5 games? 10 games? 20? The whole season? The guy is seriously struggling to keep up with the play.

4. Sadly the team is looking the exact and I mean exact same way they did last season. The overall play. The 5v5 play. There needs to be some type of change and its not player wise. Lavy needs to be able to adjust the system based off who they are playing. He has shown though that he does not like doing that so it is a big decision to see who else is out there.

5. Talbot on the 3rd line is like a deer in headlights. Seriously I feel for the guy. I have no idea why Lavy continuously puts him there and hope he succeeds. Did Raffl play that bad that we get to watch Talbot struggle for 60 mins on the 3rd line? I don't think so.

I think we have to accept that Brayden is never going to be a puck possession player. He's a guy that is going to play better without the puck and he needs to put himself in a position to make passess and score goals like he did last night. He'll always need to play with a center that handles the majority of the puck carrying.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
I think we have to accept that Brayden is never going to be a puck possession player. He's a guy that is going to play better without the puck and he needs to put himself in a position to make passess and score goals like he did last night. He'll always need to play with a center that handles the majority of the puck carrying.

Oh I agree 100%. And I know it's one game but Schenn looks like the Schenn from last season. You barely notice him all game unless he gets a goal or makes huge hit which seems rare nowadays. He had one of the more premiere centers in the league on his line and didn't do much. Giroux didn't look the best mind up you but Hartnell and Schenn coasted around a lot. Don't know how many times Giroux can set them up for them not to finish.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Also Homer either send Laughton back to juniors or I guess make Lavy play him. Letting him chill in the press box helps no one. Gotta think there is a disagreement between the two playing him and not. Laughton did not look good this preseason but Homer seems set no matter what on keeping him atm.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I'm sure they were in full agreement that Rosehill would play against Toronto.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Oh I agree 100%. And I know it's one game but Schenn looks like the Schenn from last season. You barely notice him all game unless he gets a goal or makes huge hit which seems rare nowadays. He had one of the more premiere centers in the league on his line and didn't do much. Giroux didn't look the best mind up you but Hartnell and Schenn coasted around a lot. Don't know how many times Giroux can set them up for them not to finish.

Agreed. He looks lost at times, like he's chasing the play instead of reading it and adjusting positionally. I think he'll get more involved in the coming games though. The whole team looked sluggish, even when they were carrying the play in the first period. I actually think that was the biggest thing that I noticed for the game as a whole. Both teams looked much slower than were accustomed to seeing in an NHL game.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Also Homer either send Laughton back to juniors or I guess make Lavy play him. Letting him chill in the press box helps no one. Gotta think there is a disagreement between the two playing him and not. Laughton did not look good this preseason but Homer seems set no matter what on keeping him atm.

I think Laughton definitely gets the nod for the Montreal game, especially with the moustache out with the concussion. At least I hope. The only time I noticed Rosehill was when he stupidly hit Fraser in an attempt to even up the coming penalties. Luckily, Orr went full Pejorative Slur and crosschecked him giving the powerplay back to the Flyers.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Some things I noticed from the game:

Vinny looks really good. The puck seems to follow him and he can really control play which is something we don't have outside of Giroux.

Read has to be so annoying to play against, the guy just never stops moving.

Rinaldo was very effective. He drew a penalty and kept his composure when in the past he would have done something stupid.

Streit is like having an extra forward on the ice. He's going to put up some really good numbers this year. Though he didnt get caught up ice last night but it's going to happen a lot this year.

Mason looked solid. All 3 goals were the result of someone being left alone, untouched in front of the net. If we're goign to go the route of having mostly big slower defenseman, they better clear the porch.

Giroux looked great in the third but for stretches he disappeared early in the game. He's still getting back into game shape though.

Simmonds is all heart. It's nice to see players showing emotion, good or bad.

Timonen looked pretty good but the last couple years he's had a problem getting a handle on passes to the point, especially on the PP where he's trying to drag it and walk the line while accepting a pass. Last night it led to the PP that they scored on.

I forgot Couts even played and literally didnt notice him until the third period.

Talbot needs to play 4th line and top line PK, there's no place for him on the 3rd line if we ever want Couts to be able to contribute.

Hartnell looks much better than last year. He's got terrible hands and needs to play a simple game but last year he was nowhere to be seen.

I wish we had Bernier.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I wasn't too upset or happy about the way this game played out. They looked good at times, at other times were getting just shut down by a hot goalie, and other times made mistakes that cost them. I don't think you can take too much away from this game about this team. If Bernier didn't play as well as he did this would have been a win.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
There's a lot of lamenting that Holmgren didn't land Bernier, which I find odd since Mason was far from the reason this team lost. I'm visualizing the response if Holmgren had pulled the trigger:

The Flyers came out strong, but Reimer kept the Leafs in the game. If it weren't for him, the Leafs would have been down by a few in the first. Once the Leafs changed their game plan, the Flyers wilted. Bernier was solid, and didn't have much of a chance on any of the goals.

I'm excited to see what Bernier can do, but this was yet another year where Holmgren dealt away a 1st round pick. Not using an 11th overall pick in a deep draft year will really hurt this franchise.

Right now, the skaters all have to improve and play like they've met each other before the opening faceoff. And Laviolette needs to drill both a plan and a sense of 60-minute urgency into their heads.

Fearless Leaf*

Vinny was great, Read was good and Mason had a decent game.

Hopefully we bounce back with a strong showing on Saturday.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
There's a lot of lamenting that Holmgren didn't land Bernier, which I find odd since Mason was far from the reason this team lost. I'm visualizing the response if Holmgren had pulled the trigger:

The Flyers came out strong, but Reimer kept the Leafs in the game. If it weren't for him, the Leafs would have been down by a few in the first. Once the Leafs changed their game plan, the Flyers wilted. Bernier was solid, and didn't have much of a chance on any of the goals.

I'm excited to see what Bernier can do, but this was yet another year where Holmgren dealt away a 1st round pick. Not using an 11th overall pick in a deep draft year will really hurt this franchise.

Right now, the skaters all have to improve and play like they've met each other before the opening faceoff. And Laviolette needs to drill both a plan and a sense of 60-minute urgency into their heads.

Completely agree. Goaltending wasn't the reason we lost last night, well I guess it was just not our goaltending. I wholeheartedly understand the doubts about Mason though as I have those same doubts but bringing up Bernier now just seems odd.

Btw I don't think the asking price for Bernier was a 1st + I think it was Read plus but the point still stands.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ

The grass is always greener. Would have been nice to land Bernier, but one game does not make this kid the real deal. Not to mention we may have something in Morin, which we won't know probably for another three years at the very least.

hckyplayer8

Don't bang the glass
Mar 26, 2011
Grand Forks,ND
Lol Flyer fans

Goaltending wasn't the reason we lost. Mason stopped every puck that he should have stopped.

Going 1 for 7 on the PP and blowing our load in the first 20 was why we lost.

SchennSational1022*

Lol Flyer fans

Goaltending wasn't the reason we lost. Mason stopped every puck that he should have stopped.

Going 1 for 7 on the PP and blowing our load in the first 20 was why we lost.

Nobody is blaming Mason guy, we all just wish Holmgren pulled trigger on the clear better goalie, Bernier.

As much of a ****** loss this game was, everybody needs to relax. This game was NOTHING like the games we saw last year. We moved the puck GREAT at 5 on 5, something that obviously didnt happen last year. We ran into a hot goalie, it's the first game of the season. This team is clearly better than he team last year, and if you remember the power play that everybody on here thought was so elite last year, started out ****ing awful through the first 5-6 games. Everybody relax, this game showed good things to come.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad