Observations XXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
The only thing that would break up the monotony of that kind of season is if they really do play "series" of games against teams. For instance if the Red Wings travel to Nashville and play us here three times in a week. That could create drama, and instead of seeing the Wings pop up on the schedule 8 times throughout the season, we would really only see them 2-3 times.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
I just find it hart to believe that the NHL can actually make money on the regular season in the current environment. If I had to wager right now I would probably lean more towards no season at all. They might have a shortened season but no way it's starting until Feb/Mar at earliest unless something changes with the current infection trajectory.

Reactions: PredsV82

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Yeah, by the time we get through the Thanksgiving surge, and then the Xmas surge... it's deep in January, and even if any turnaround is in store that'll take us into February to fully realize, probably. I can't imagine what order of miracle might need to befall us to avoid that as the best-case. :(

Reactions: Byrddog and LCPreds

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
I just find it hard to believe that the NHL can actually make money on the regular season in the current environment. If I had to wager right now I would probably lean more towards no season at all. They might have a shortened season but no way it's starting until Feb/Mar at earliest unless something changes with the current infection trajectory.
Until last week things seemed to be moving along. But it got awfully quiet awfully quick. Whether we like it or not hockey is still not at the NFL or NBA level of income from other sources notably TV. The cards had to fall just right for the NHL to try this season sans most fans. At this late date bickering between the clubs and the players over money is disheartening but understandable.
And perhaps no season is really the correct choice for everyone except for us, the fans. The current virus situation is worse it seems than it was when last season ended abruptly.
The US and Canada need to defeat the virus, conduct regular, in person education at all levels and get everyone back to work. We all hoped for a vaccine by now and for whatever reason that has not moved at the speed we hoped.
2021-2022 season is only about 9 months away. If the NHL is not ready to go full tilt by then....well there’s bigger problems than hockey.
I think there’s only an even chance there’ll be a 2020-2021 weird season; maybe less and maybe best.

Reactions: Adz and LCPreds

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
With that kind of format, no matter how painful it may sound, I could be okay if they decided not to play at all. However, that would be a kiss of death for the NHL in some sense, they would lose a lot of casual fans and to be honest even the most hardcore fans would probably feel different when the play returned at some point in the future.

In almost 2 years, people just tend to forget the feelings they've had for the game and move onto new things. A return in the future would be exciting for sure, but I'm not sure I would ever be able to get to the same level of excitement I was pre-COVID.

Nonetheless, I don't think NHL is ever going to be the same after this shit blows over. f*** COVID.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Nonetheless, I don't think NHL is ever going to be the same after this shit blows over. f*** COVID.

I wonder this about a lot of things. Music festivals and concerts where people are crammed together in general admission type atmospheres come to mind. Packed trains in places like Tokyo where I’ve seen them use a stick to help push the last person inside the doors so the train can keep moving. I do believe we’ll eventually get a vaccine but there will likely still be mental hurdles to overcome after 1-2 years of trying to stay a few feet away from people.

Reactions: Scoresberg

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
I wonder this about a lot of things. Music festivals and concerts where people are crammed together in general admission type atmospheres come to mind. Packed trains in places like Tokyo where I’ve seen them use a stick to help push the last person inside the doors so the train can keep moving. I do believe we’ll eventually get a vaccine but there will likely still be mental hurdles to overcome after 1-2 years of trying to stay a few feet away from people.

Personally, I'd be just fine with this triggering a societal change where everyone respected each other's personal space more and corporations didn't get to cram people into spaces (airplanes, stadiums, etc.) like sardines anymore. I'm 6' 2" and over the years seating in these places has gone from tight to cramped to borderline painful in many cases.

Reactions: LCPreds

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Personally, I'd be just fine with this triggering a societal change where everyone respected each other's personal space more and corporations didn't get to cram people into spaces (airplanes, stadiums, etc.) like sardines anymore. I'm 6' 2" and over the years seating in these places has gone from tight to cramped to borderline painful in many cases.
I honestly wonder how REALLY tall people who are like 6'5" or 6'7" or whatever manage in these situations. I get all kinds of uncomfortable on a long flight, try to stretch my legs into the aisle, and if somebody leans their seat back in front of me... argh. At that height you pretty much have to pay the extra for the seats at the partition or exits or wherever they have even a smidgin more room. Which just doesn't seem right to me.

Rental cars is another issue. I don't know what little thing they tried to give me one time, but I am not that tall. And I put the seat as far back and as low as it would go, and there was still just no way it could work. They recognized this as they watched me fumble around trying to jam myself in and upgraded me to a jeep. But they are making cars now that simply cannot work for some people. If you're 6'2", there are cars you simply cannot fit into. And that's not freakishly tall... by any stretch. :mad:

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I honestly wonder how REALLY tall people who are like 6'5" or 6'7" or whatever manage in these situations. I get all kinds of uncomfortable on a long flight, try to stretch my legs into the aisle, and if somebody leans their seat back in front of me... argh. At that height you pretty much have to pay the extra for the seats at the partition or exits or wherever they have even a smidgin more room. Which just doesn't seem right to me.

Rental cars is another issue. I don't know what little thing they tried to give me one time, but I am not that tall. And I put the seat as far back and as low as it would go, and there was still just no way it could work. They recognized this as they watched me fumble around trying to jam myself in and upgraded me to a jeep. But they are making cars now that simply cannot work for some people. If you're 6'2", there are cars you simply cannot fit into. And that's not freakishly tall... by any stretch. :mad:

Fortunately, I don't have that problem. If you are 6'3" or over, you are in the top 1% in height in the US.

I used to be friends in college with two basketball players. They told me that they stayed in only a few hotels that had extra long mattresses. The 6'10" center told me that he still had to sleep diagonally in some places.

Standard US doorways are 6'6" high.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I have a friend that is 6'4 and he literally can't sit in the lower bowl at the arena anymore. It's just too tight for him.
I have to stretch to make it to 5'1 and TBH, I had trouble with leg room in 315. If it was a really packed crowd, my arms would be pinned by my side. Some of the seating in the arena is VERY tight. Was one of the reasons I moved to club level. At the time I moved it was only a $4 difference in ticket price for a much roomier seat.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
I have to stretch to make it to 5'1 and TBH, I had trouble with leg room in 315. If it was a really packed crowd, my arms would be pinned by my side. Some of the seating in the arena is VERY tight. Was one of the reasons I moved to club level. At the time I moved it was only a $4 difference in ticket price for a much roomier seat.

I don’t think we truly appreciated the extra leg room in club until we moved to lower for one season after the new seats were installed. Not sure if it was always like that or if somehow tied to the new seats but we moved back to club ASAP.

We basically have two rules now. Club level and top row.

Reactions: Adz

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I don’t think we truly appreciated the extra leg room in club until we moved to lower for one season after the new seats were installed. Not sure if it was always like that or if somehow tied to the new seats but we moved back to club ASAP.

We basically have two rules now. Club level and top row.
Same here. 219, right under the box seating--top row and aisle. Sure, we have people going in and out in front of us--but we can move in and out easily without disturbing others!

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
It’s sorta beginning to look like training camp is not gonna start on 12/1.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth

I think there's no chance for that. Personally, I see it as a 50/50 shot that the season even gets played at all. Faith is diminishing by the day.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
My guess is it will all hinge on when they can have a vaccine out to the public. If we are talking april/may then I don't think it happens.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I'm still optimistic we ultimately will have a season, but I suspect we will see a situation like MLB where it will be the last possible moment before they make a deal.

la flama blanca

Mar 14, 2012
With that kind of format, no matter how painful it may sound, I could be okay if they decided not to play at all. However, that would be a kiss of death for the NHL in some sense, they would lose a lot of casual fans and to be honest even the most hardcore fans would probably feel different when the play returned at some point in the future.

In almost 2 years, people just tend to forget the feelings they've had for the game and move onto new things. A return in the future would be exciting for sure, but I'm not sure I would ever be able to get to the same level of excitement I was pre-COVID.

It won't take that long. Will not be overnight but most people will adjust back pretty fast.

Last Month in NZ

EkOrZryWkAAitWq.png

and a few weeks ago in Taiwan, very few masks if any.

Screen Shot 2020-11-30 at 4.19.36 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-30 at 4.19.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-30 at 4.19.36 PM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 0

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box

Yeah. Supposedly the league has been told they have to wrap things up before the Olympics, or did I hallucinate that?

If true it's gonna be a very short season, as the Olys currently are on for 3rd week of July.

la flama blanca

Mar 14, 2012
Preds just sent out a survey on whether or not you would attend in person all games, some or none in the upcoming season.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Yeah. Supposedly the league has been told they have to wrap things up before the Olympics, or did I hallucinate that?

If true it's gonna be a very short season, as the Olys currently are on for 3rd week of July.

Bill Daly has claimed they have plans to work around the Olympics but who knows. The whole TV deal aspect of this situation is pretty interesting though since it was supposed to expire after this season. The NHL has been counting on getting a much better deal so that definitely has to play into what the owners decide to do. I would hope the NHL/NHLPA wouldn't be short sighted enough to play hardball and ultimately have to cancel this season due to the losses they will incur in the short term, but given the league's recent history it doesn't inspire a ton of confidence.

Reactions: PredsV82

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Well the other thing not inspiring confidence lately are the reports of team owners who would rather not play at all than play with empty rinks/reduced seating. Because they'd rather lose $15M not playing at all and withholding payroll than lose $60M paying the players to perform in empty rinks.

Bettman will be in tough here, because he'll want games played, but is ultimately beholden to the owners. It will be interesting to see how that unfolds.

I don't believe they will ultimately lose any significant portion of their fanbase or viewership if they have a Covid cancelled season. But at the same time, they could always become a little less responsible, with both the players' and the fans' health, as other sports and other hockey leagues have. A lot of conflicting pressures on the league, to be sure.

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
I have been optimistic until now. Now I’m not. And for certain reasons maybe they shouldn’t have one. The name of the game is fans; not owners, not players, not Bettman and Daly, not the media-it’s the fans. With this Covid thing still rampant there won’t be paying fans(to speak of). As far as a vaccine, it’s already too late for it to be effective until late 2021. So why try for a short “season” or a “shorter” season or total realignment or August playoffs , etc. There is already animosity between the league, the owners and the players. Go for a normal 2021-2022 season and forget all these headaches.
Having said that, I thirst for hockey but realize people are dying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad