Obscure hockey facts/stats on international level

SatanicToedrag

Apr 15, 2017
Sweden reaching finals so many times the last 30 years in WC.

Sweden did it in 1991, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1997, 1998, 2003, 2004, 2006, 2011, 2013, 2017, 2018.
Is that an obscure hockey fact if another team reached finals more times than Sweden during that time period? My vote is no.

vancouverism

Sep 26, 2018
Amsterdam
www.adamnowek.com
Division 1 is awesome. Unfortunately it's quite hard to catch a game. But when Germany was relegated I watched a couple and enjoyed it very much.

They've livestreamed the entire division (both the A and B groups) the last couple of years on YouTube, which is super nice. There's no commentary but it's still nice to watch. The same group that produces the Championship Division feeds also does them for Division 1, so they're really high quality. Anything below Division 1 is going to be from the hosting federation.

I can definitely recommend going to a Division 1 tournament at least once in your life. The tickets are obviously much more affordable and the format leads to some drama, especially in 1A with 2 promotions and 1 relegation on the line. I've been to two Division 1 tournaments (1A in Budapest and 1B in Katowice) and they're a blast.

Reactions: Faterson and Eisen

member 305909

Why was the play-off format introduced to the worlds as late as 1992? It's not like the idea of play offs is some revolutionary invention which wasn't thought of before.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Nope. I mean a team that did not lose at all in the entire history of the tournament. By the way, this is a bit of a trick question.

Good one. I guess its Canada.
I think it was the old 8 teams format, and probably one team tied to many games

BOS358

Purveyor of unpopular opinions
Jul 20, 2017
Boston
Good one. I guess its Canada.
I think it was the old 8 teams format, and probably one team tied to many games

No, it was Team Czech-Slovak, who only played in three games in 1993 and won each of them. Their two losses as "Czechoslovakia" played prior to the country's breakup in the middle of the tournament counted, thus relegating them to bronze.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Why was the play-off format introduced to the worlds as late as 1992? It's not like the idea of play offs is some revolutionary invention which wasn't thought of before.

The hockey world was to small and weak. The split of Cezh republic and Soviet I think changed that. The first time was 1992, and the teams 9 -12 was awful. Italy avtually tied with us. Sweden 0 -0. I listened to radio, and I still remember the chock when the horn went off.

I also remeber Polans had a stint in plympics, being very bad.

member 305909

There was one tournament in the 70s when Czechoslovakia suffered a very ugly defeat in their last game but they had already secured the gold medal.

flemo

Jan 7, 2010
There was one tournament in the 70s when Czechoslovakia suffered a very ugly defeat in their last game but they had already secured the gold medal.
are you sure about 70s and gold? First match I can remember I was watching was a czechoslovakia loss to ussr 1:11 and czechoslovakia finished 2nd. It was 1981. EDIT: 1979

Last edited:

member 305909

are you sure about 70s and gold? First match I can remember I was watching was a czechoslovakia loss to ussr 1:11 and czechoslovakia finished 2nd. It was 1981. EDIT: 1979

I had to check. I'm not old enough to remember it personally but in 1977 Czechoslovakia lost its final game against Canada 8-2 but as there were no play offs but a Serie they were already at 15 points before the final round when as the Soviet Union was at 14, Sweden at 12 and Canada at 11.

Actually I just realised that Cze were not yet certain winners but Sweden beat the SU.

I wonder did they play the games at the same time.

However, it is much better to have play offs than a serie.

Canuckistani

Mar 15, 2014
Toronto
1987 - the most scandalous and ridiculous IIHF WHC tournament,

1987 Ice Hockey World Championships - Wikipedia

The Germans had beaten both Canada and Finland when it was revealed that forward Miroslav Sikora had played for the Polish junior team in 1977. He was suspended and the IIHF stripped West Germany of their two wins. The Germans took the matter to court, stating that they had been granted permission. Though Sikora remained suspended, the IIHF reinstated the two victories.[1] If the courts had not intervened, Finland would have replaced Sweden in the medal round.[2] Additionally, the Swedes earned the Gold over the Soviets by goal differential when the Soviets had gone undefeated and the Swedes had lost three preliminary round games. This led to further discussion of a change of format. The IIHF's account of the finale states that, "Sweden won thanks to an inflated score against Canada,"[3] however Sweden only needed to win by two (the same margin that the Czechoslovaks beat Canada by) for the Gold. In reality the Soviets had to come from behind to capture Silver and deprive the Czechoslovaks of the Gold, and the Swedes winning by more than two ensured that the Czechoslovaks could not play to a tie and capture Gold.

You know that format was ridiculous when the Soviets could go 8-0-2 and finish behind the 5-3-2 Swedes. So glad the IIHF ditched that silliness in 1992. What on earth were they thinking?

Reactions: BOS358

Canuckistani

Mar 15, 2014
Toronto
I had to check. I'm not old enough to remember it personally but in 1977 Czechoslovakia lost its final game against Canada 8-2 but as there were no play offs but a Serie they were already at 15 points before the final round when as the Soviet Union was at 14, Sweden at 12 and Canada at 11.

Actually I just realised that Cze were not yet certain winners but Sweden beat the SU.

I wonder did they play the games at the same time.

However, it is much better to have play offs than a serie.

I believe the only other team to lose that badly and still take the gold was the 2020 Canadian juniors who lost 6-0 to Russia (before winning the final against them 4-3). The 2006 Swedish Olympic team came close with a 5-0 loss to Russia.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
In what can only be described as one of the most incredible records in sports, Sweden's 54-game winning streak in the preliminary round at the World Junior Championship has finally come to an end at the hands of a 4-3 win by Russia on 31.12.2020.
An Immortal record.

Canuckistani

Mar 15, 2014
Toronto
In what can only be described as one of the most incredible records in sports, Sweden's 54-game winning streak in the preliminary round at the World Junior Championship has finally come to an end at the hands of a 4-3 win by Russia on 31.12.2020.
An Immortal record.

For reasons that only the Gods of hockey know, Sweden would then become highly mortal in the playoff round.

One gold, five silver, five semifinal losses, and one quarterfinal loss.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
An Immortal record.
What is the Swede WC record? 10 straight Semi's? Something amazing like that...

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
You know that format was ridiculous when the Soviets could go 8-0-2 and finish behind the 5-3-2 Swedes. So glad the IIHF ditched that silliness in 1992. What on earth were they thinking?

Earlier the medal round was continuation from the round robin but it was changed after USSR and Czechoslovakia played 0-0 in their last game in 1982. Soviets had already clinched the gold and that result helped Czechoslovakia to get silver ahead of Canada.

member 305909

In 1982 they didn't have a consolation round but as Italy beat the USA and the USA was relegated they introduced the consolation round again.

However, unlike the medal series which started from zero points the consolation round started from the points of the first round.

It meant that Finland which always narrowly missed out of the medal round had no fear of relegation but had to play three boring games.

However, it was a matter of pride for the Finns to win the consolation round.

Canuckistani

Mar 15, 2014
Toronto
Earlier the medal round was continuation from the round robin but it was changed after USSR and Czechoslovakia played 0-0 in their last game in 1982. Soviets had already clinched the gold and that result helped Czechoslovakia to get silver ahead of Canada.

Sounds like the infamous West Germany vs Austria football match at the 1982 World Cup. A 1-0 German win would see both teams advance (and knock Algeria out) so after the Germans got a early goal the two teams literally wasted time for 80+ minutes.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
First match I can remember I was watching was a czechoslovakia loss to ussr 1:11 and czechoslovakia finished 2nd. It was 1981. EDIT: 1979

Haha... I was talking about that childhood trauma in another thread. :D I remember very little from those early childhood years, but I do remember that devastating 1-11 loss and the looks of shock and disbelief on every family member's face in the living room.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad