Obscure hockey facts/stats on international level

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
And lost 8 times. That must be a record of some sort.

There are 3 players in the world who together form a Quadrum Silver Club. They have lost all three important finals(wc, olympics and stanley cup) and also World Cup of Hockey final. And they are sadly all finnish.

- Jarkko Ruutu (WC-silver -98,-01, -07 // Olympic-silver -06 // Stanley Cup final defeat -08 // World Cup-silver -04)
- Toni Lydman (WC-silver -98,-99 // Olympic-silver -06 / / Stanley Cup final defeat -04 // World Cup-silver -04)
- Kimmo Timonen (WC-silver -98, -01 // Olympic silver -06 // Stanley Cup final defeat -10 // World Cup-silver -04)

Those guys could have won it all, but they ended up losing all. At least Kimmo Timonen got his Stanley Cup-ring at the very end. I was so happy for him and I was present with thousands of other people when he brought the cup to his hometown. The story of these guys is the story of finnish ice hockey. Also nowadays whenever a finn makes it to the Stanley Cup-final, his team will lose it. I know I have grown to be a true pessimist.

You can add Sami Salo to "quadriple silver club", WC silver, OG silver, WHC silver, SC final defeat in 2011.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I dont think Gretzky ever won gold at any international level
-World Jr bronze
-World Championship bronze
-4th at his only Olympics
-Canada Cup is a nickel trophy

So you are saying all of the other countries didn't care about the actual only best on best tournament that we ever had prior to pros going to the Olympics?

JETZZZ

Oct 27, 2010
Winnipeg Manitoba
So you are saying all of the other countries didn't care about the actual only best on best tournament that we ever had prior to pros going to the Olympics?
No, Im saying that the Canada Cup winners received a big, solid nickel, maple leaf shaped trophy instead of gold medals.

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
USA has only one WC gold medal won all the way back in 1933., but they won it in really impressive fashion, in five games they outscored opponents (Cze, Sui, Pol, Aut, Can) 23:1.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
No, Im saying that the Canada Cup winners received a big, solid nickel, maple leaf shaped trophy instead of gold medals.

Okay, well he still won three best on best tournaments though. Isn't that sort of "gold" but with a different name?

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020
Damian Clara (16 yrs old/2005 born) of Italy could become the youngest goalie to ever play in the World Championships if he gets into a game this tournament.

Reactions: BOS358

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Robert Reichel was born in Litvínov, Czechoslovakia and is of German descent.
His brother Martin was also a professional hockey player. Martin, who moved to Germany in 1990, represented his adopted nation at the 2002 Winter Olympics and played against Robert's Czech Republic. It was the second time in Olympic hockey history that two brothers played against each other.
I dont know, who are the others...

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
His brother Martin was also a professional hockey player. Martin, who moved to Germany in 1990, represented his adopted nation at the 2002 Winter Olympics and played against Robert's Czech Republic. It was the second time in Olympic hockey history that two brothers played against each other.

Frantisek Tikal Czechoslovakia and his twinbrother Zdenek Tikal Australia did play in 1960 olympics.

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland

Not Olympics, but I believe Steve (Canada) and Larry Rucchin (Italy) played against each other in 1998 World Championships.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
This family has national pride in his blood:

Lets start with Adam Musil - now at first WCH
His brother David Musil - is now on his second WCH
Their father Frantisek Musil played many many times for Czechoslovakia on WCH or OG
Grandfather Jaroslav Holík also
Great Uncle Jiri Holík also
And dont forget uncle Bobby Holík, who also played for Czechoslovakia

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
This family has national pride in his blood:

Lets start with Adam Musil - now at first WCH
His brother David Musil - is now on his second WCH
Their father Frantisek Musil played many many times for Czechoslovakia on WCH or OG
Grandfather Jaroslav Holík also
Great Uncle Jiri Holík also
And dont forget uncle Bobby Holík, who also played for Czechoslovakia

That national pride didn't stop Adam to pursue a path with Team Canada first though. Joined the Czech team only after he wasn't good enough to make the Canadian one anymore.

Reactions: Faterson

Reindl87

May 18, 2012
All European countries care a lot more about the World Championchip than the World Cup of Hockey. Like it or not, but that is what it is. World Cup of Hockey is an exhibition tounament to promote the NHL. Not a real a Real tournament. (Not hating on Canadas achivements)

Reindl87

May 18, 2012
All European countries care a lot more about the World Championchip than the World Cup of Hockey. Like it or not, but that is what it is. World Cup of Hockey is an exhibition tounament to promote the NHL. Not a real a Real International. (Not hating on Canadas achivements)

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Sweden reaching finals so many times the last 30 years in WC.

Sweden did it in 1991, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1997, 1998, 2003, 2004, 2006, 2011, 2013, 2017, 2018.

vancouverism

Sep 26, 2018
Amsterdam
www.adamnowek.com
In 2018 Italy and Slovenia faced each other in the last match of the tournament. Both needed a regulation time win to have a chance to be promoted. Late in the third the score was 3-3 so both team pulled the goalies and Italy won with a empty netter with 2 seconds to go.
That was not enough to be promoted, though. They needed Great Britain to get at least one point in the match against hungary, to avoid a 4 teams tie that would have sent up Kazakhstan and Hungary.
Hungary entered the third period with a 2 - 0 lead, just for GB to come back, save a penalty and then score the tie with 15 seconds to go.

I would like to point everyone who has way too much time on their hands to the IIHF's archived video of this game:

The third period of GB-Hungary was easily the wildest period of hockey that I've ever seen in person. Long live Division 1!

THE JAM

Jan 16, 2015
EU
1987 - the most scandalous and ridiculous IIHF WHC tournament,

1987 Ice Hockey World Championships - Wikipedia

The Germans had beaten both Canada and Finland when it was revealed that forward Miroslav Sikora had played for the Polish junior team in 1977. He was suspended and the IIHF stripped West Germany of their two wins. The Germans took the matter to court, stating that they had been granted permission. Though Sikora remained suspended, the IIHF reinstated the two victories.[1] If the courts had not intervened, Finland would have replaced Sweden in the medal round.[2] Additionally, the Swedes earned the Gold over the Soviets by goal differential when the Soviets had gone undefeated and the Swedes had lost three preliminary round games. This led to further discussion of a change of format. The IIHF's account of the finale states that, "Sweden won thanks to an inflated score against Canada,"[3] however Sweden only needed to win by two (the same margin that the Czechoslovaks beat Canada by) for the Gold. In reality the Soviets had to come from behind to capture Silver and deprive the Czechoslovaks of the Gold, and the Swedes winning by more than two ensured that the Czechoslovaks could not play to a tie and capture Gold.

Last edited:

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
I would like to point everyone who has way too much time on their hands to the IIHF's archived video of this game:

The third period of GB-Hungary was easily the wildest period of hockey that I've ever seen in person. Long live Division 1!

Division 1 is awesome. Unfortunately it's quite hard to catch a game. But when Germany was relegated I watched a couple and enjoyed it very much.

Reactions: Faterson

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3