Obscure hockey facts/stats on international level

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
From 24 appearances at WC , Slovakia did not make quarterfinal 12 times. From last 10 WC tournaments Slovakia did not qualify to playoff 8 times...

And out of the last 6 tournaments, Slovakia finished 9th 5 times out of six. One might as well give the NT the nickname eternal team nine.

Puck Dogg

Puck life
Mar 13, 2006
Since introduction of play off system to World Championship in 1992 Finland (11) has made the final more often than Russia (8).

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
From 24 appearances at WC , Slovakia did not make quarterfinal 12 times. From last 10 WC tournaments Slovakia did not qualify to playoff 8 times...
I really hope Slovakia spins it around... always cheer for them when not playing us. I'd say the next few drafts have some good NHL Slovaks on the way. Rebuild! As recently as a decade ago I'd say the Slovaks had at least a few quality goes, excellent D and some pure snipers!

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
We all know Gretzky led every Canada Cup in scoring he was playing in. But despite all the criticism of him being old in the 1996 World Cup he actually led Canada in scoring.

Canada never trailed the entire tournament in the 2004 World Cup and 2014 Olympics. In 1976 Canada Cup we were behind only about 7 minutes for the entire tournament.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Mathias Trettenes, Norway. I saw, that he played on 3 WCH in a row without any goal - 19 games. Dont know exactly, in which game he scored on the 4th WCH. What is actually a record of this?
Only forwards.

DeysArena

Oct 5, 2020
The 1991 Canada Cup was the first time Team Canada had a perfect record in a best-on-best tournament.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Andres Ambühl will start his 16th World Championship next Saturday.
He'll pass Peltonen, Maltsev and Holik in terms of games played. To catch Kiessling he'd need another participation next year.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
The 1991 Canada Cup was the first time Team Canada had a perfect record in a best-on-best tournament.

Sort of. Undefeated at least. They were 6-0-2 overall. 3-0-2 in the round robin and then beat Sweden in the semis and then the two final games vs. USA.

2004 World Cup is the first time a team had a perfect record.
Then the 2014 Olympics Canada was 6-0 again, although it is worth noting that the overtime win in the round robin vs. Finland would have been a tie in other years.
Also the 2106 World Cup of hockey Canada was 6-0.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Mathias Trettenes, Norway. I saw, that he played on 3 WCH in a row without any goal - 19 games. Dont know exactly, in which game he scored on the 4th WCH. What is actually a record of this?
Only forwards.
Rookie numbers from Trettenes. I present you Sergei Drozd who currently have active 7 tournament streak going on, to make things even worse he got his first assist only on 7th tournament. He has missed couple of tournaments along the way, but if you are looking only for pure consecutive tournaments he still have 3 and 4 tournament streaks on his CV. He somehow has made Belarus roster for this coming WC and surely will try his best go for 8 tournaments without a goal.

DeysArena

Oct 5, 2020
Sort of. Undefeated at least. They were 6-0-2 overall. 3-0-2 in the round robin and then beat Sweden in the semis and then the two final games vs. USA.

2004 World Cup is the first time a team had a perfect record.
Then the 2014 Olympics Canada was 6-0 again, although it is worth noting that the overtime win in the round robin vs. Finland would have been a tie in other years.
Also the 2106 World Cup of hockey Canada was 6-0.
I stand corrected re: 1991.

The 2106 World Cup doesn't count because of the Martian boycott.

A Bundy

Mar 3, 2021
Petter Thoresen, Norway's Head coach in this tournament participated in five olympics as a player; retired to work as a mason in 2004 before taking up coaching agian, leading Norway in one Olympics as head coach and hopefully some more. He never played or coached outside Norway, so probably some kind of record holder of most olympics with tiniest retirement plan?

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I stand corrected re: 1991.

The 2106 World Cup doesn't count because of the Martian boycott.

I didn't like the 2016 World Cup because of that ridiculous European mixed team and the North American team which just turned the whole thing into a bit of an exhibition, but it is the last best on best we had. Albeit with a terrible format that I hope they never do again, especially if we are to have a World Cup in 2022 with the strong potential of no Olympics.

By the way, what is the Martian boycott?

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
I really hope Slovakia spins it around... always cheer for them when not playing us. I'd say the next few drafts have some good NHL Slovaks on the way. Rebuild! As recently as a decade ago I'd say the Slovaks had at least a few quality goes, excellent D and some pure snipers!

It will be difficult for Slovakia this year as they are in the tougher of the two groups, but I a cheering for them and hope they can make it to the QF somehow.

DeysArena

Oct 5, 2020
I didn't like the 2016 World Cup because of that ridiculous European mixed team and the North American team which just turned the whole thing into a bit of an exhibition, but it is the last best on best we had. Albeit with a terrible format that I hope they never do again, especially if we are to have a World Cup in 2022 with the strong potential of no Olympics.

By the way, what is the Martian boycott?
Look at the last line of your previous post.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
What first comes to mind is that the Finnish men's team has a negative record against Great Britain even after the win in the 2019 WHC.

And their worst record is against the club team Gävle Godtemplares IK from Sweden, currently fifth tier. Four games, four losses, all at home too.

DeysArena

Oct 5, 2020
Okay, so it is about the 2016 World Cup? Sorry, it isn't clear.
No, it's about the 2106 World Cup that you mentioned in your post. The Martian team boycotted because it was called the World Cup and they felt excluded because they're from a different world.

Reactions: Faterson

Jon Riley

May 2, 2015
Oslo
In 2018 Italy and Slovenia faced each other in the last match of the tournament. Both needed a regulation time win to have a chance to be promoted. Late in the third the score was 3-3 so both team pulled the goalies and Italy won with a empty netter with 2 seconds to go.
That was not enough to be promoted, though. They needed Great Britain to get at least one point in the match against hungary, to avoid a 4 teams tie that would have sent up Kazakhstan and Hungary.
Hungary entered the third period with a 2 - 0 lead, just for GB to come back, save a penalty and then score the tie with 15 seconds to go.

Last edited:

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Not nearly as much of a story, but I remember in 1983 when Italy was playing Finland in the final relegation game and was up 4:3 with seconds to go. A Finnish defenseman went for a weak desperation slapper from center ice and a lucky deflection surprised the Italian netminder Corsi (that Corsi) beating the buzzer.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Not nearly as much of a story, but I remember in 1983 when Italy was playing Finland in the final relegation game and was up 4:3 with seconds to go. A Finnish defenseman went for a weak desperation slapper from center ice and a lucky deflection surprised the Italian netminder Corsi (that Corsi) beating the buzzer.

I remember Badger Bob Johnson selecting
Dick Lamby over Reed Larson on D and Ted Thorndike over Tom Rowe for the 1976 US Olympic Team.

JETZZZ

Oct 27, 2010
Winnipeg Manitoba
I dont think Gretzky ever won gold at any international level
-World Jr bronze
-World Championship bronze
-4th at his only Olympics
-Canada Cup is a nickel trophy

Reactions: Faterson

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
In 2018 Italy and Slovenia faced each other in the last match of the tournament. Both needed a regulation time win to have a chance to be promoted. Late in the third the score was 3-3 so both team pulled the goalies and Italy won with a empty netter with 2 seconds to go.
That was not enough to be promoted, though. They needed Great Britain to get at least one point in the match against hungary, to avoid a 4 teams tie that would have sent up Kazakhstan and Hungary.
Hungary entered the third period with a 2 - 0 lead, just for GB to come back, save a penalty and then score the tie with 15 seconds to go.

Yeah, I remember this game where both teams pulled their goalies. It was one of the most WTF moments I have ever seen in hockey.

Lartsaman

Aug 2, 2018
Finland
Since introduction of play off system to World Championship in 1992 Finland (11) has made the final more often than Russia (8).

And lost 8 times. That must be a record of some sort.

There are 3 players in the world who together form a Quadriple Silver Club. They have lost all three important finals(wc, olympics and stanley cup) and also World Cup of Hockey final. And they are sadly all finnish.

- Jarkko Ruutu (WC-silver -98,-01, -07 // Olympic-silver -06 // Stanley Cup final defeat -08 // World Cup-silver -04)
- Toni Lydman (WC-silver -98,-99 // Olympic-silver -06 / / Stanley Cup final defeat -04 // World Cup-silver -04)
- Kimmo Timonen (WC-silver -98, -01 // Olympic silver -06 // Stanley Cup final defeat -10 // World Cup-silver -04)

Those guys could have won it all, but they ended up losing all. At least Kimmo Timonen got his Stanley Cup-ring at the very end. I was so happy for him and I was present with thousands of other people when he brought the cup to his hometown. The story of these guys is the story of finnish ice hockey. Also nowadays whenever a finn makes it to the Stanley Cup-final, his team will lose it. I know I have grown to be a true pessimist.

Last edited:
Reactions: Faterson and alko

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad