Confirmed with Link: Oates named head coach

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
He is intense. I remember our lady byng candidate getting downright nasty when the playoffs started. Pissed we presumably low balled him - he said F you. I think its good for a coach to some fire in reserve.

I loved hearing Tocchet saying that he never stated the obvious. Hockey is such a simple sport, I think a coach risks losing the room stating the obvious, or with other dumb statements.

Werk harder! Just out werk em!

Totally agree as always! The Caps haven't been a team that made playoff adjustments since, what...the late 90's? And that was Oates and Juneau (another smart, smart person).

I'm intrigued.

I still have my convictions about Ted and George but I'll give it the season before I go Mt. Vesuvius.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Personally, when I need a good judge of character in the hockey world, the first name I dial is Rick Tochett.

Oh I know, but hey who hasn't wanted to drop a dime on a game? But the allegations of ties to bigger fish didn't stick. Hanging with Mrs G, you almost can't make this stuff up. What a character !

But I suspect he and McPhee are buddies. Or at minimum, that McPhee respects his opinions. Heck, he hired his boy.

Foy

Jun 6, 2006
F5 my memory, why don't we like Oates, I cant remember. Thanks

When he was first acquired, he and Tocchet refused to report at first, and we missed the playoffs for the first time in 15 years.

Then there was him running Trevor Linden out of town.

There was the whole not paying attention to/missing/rumored sleeping during team meetings that resulted in him getting stripped of the Captaincy. In my mind his sons were less forgivable than Jagr's.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Not surprised at all. Hopefully he can teach these guys faceoffs and get the PP going again.

Go Caps!

Foy

Jun 6, 2006
Oh I know, but hey who hasn't wanted to drop a dime on a game? But the allegations of ties to bigger fish didn't stick. Hanging with Mrs G, you almost can't make this stuff up. What a character !

But I suspect he and McPhee are buddies. Or at minimum, that McPhee respects his opinions. Heck, he hired his boy.
My hatred if Tocchet has to do with him getting traded to a team, refusing to go to a team, collecting a paycheck (eventually), and after the season saying he was glad the team didn't make the playoffs, and he hoped they never made the playoffs again. That's a real character reference

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything
No. If any player influence was a major factor in Oates' hiring, it was his influence on Kovalchuk.

Seems like this would be a huge factor. Caps need OV to be more like OV in order to succeed, and a coach that type of experience would carry alot of weight with the decision makers...

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
When he was first acquired, he and Tocchet refused to report at first, and we missed the playoffs for the first time in 15 years.

Then there was him running Trevor Linden out of town.

There was the whole not paying attention to/missing/rumored sleeping during team meetings that resulted in him getting stripped of the Captaincy. In my mind his sons were less forgivable than Jagr's.

I'm with you on the F Tocchet bandwagon.

IkeaMonkey*

My hatred if Tocchet has to do with him getting traded to a team, refusing to go to a team, collecting a paycheck (eventually), and after the season saying he was glad the team didn't make the playoffs, and he hoped they never made the playoffs again. That's a real character reference

I'm sure that was all some big misunderstanding.

sunnydaycrash

Feb 24, 2004
Vancouver
What's OV saying?

Apparently he called up Oates and told him he'd heard good things and hoped they would work well together.

Hey I wasn't jumping for joy when I heard it was Oates, but when Parise, Zubrus and Henrique seem sincerely upset he's leaving and are raining praise on him, then Lou and Cam Neely come out and do the same......it's hard to be too upset at him being hired.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad