Confirmed with Link: Oates named head coach

Liberati0n*

The only thing I have against this is that they passed on Cooper. There's no basis for judging Oates yet.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Tocchet on Oates:
“Absolutely,†Tocchet said. “He’s not a rah-rah guy. He’s not going to stand up and give you a Knute Rockne speech. But he’s a man’s man and a pro. I think he could be a great head coach.

“Let’s put it this way: If I was an owner or a GM I’d find a way to get Adam Oates on my team. In my opinion, 85 percent of the league’s coaches are the same. Adam gives you that extra 15 percent that can put a team over the top.â€...

“He’s an intellectual guy,†Tocchet said. “When we were together in Tampa, he never stated the obvious. He was a student of the game and I was lucky to have him. He made me see the game a different way and changed some of my thinking.â€
The lefty at LW, righty at RW stuff is interesting. I guess we'll see Ovechkin at RW then.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
I wonder about Haviland as an assistant, too, given the issues in Chicago. Plenty of positive comments from players and some from Brouwer, fwiw.

Also, about Jim Johnson, Oates and Johnson have some experience on the same coaching staff as Oates was an asst in TBL when the Johnson/Walz stuff happened with Lawton/Tocchet. I know what McPhee said about assistants and have no idea what kind of relationship they have after that mess of a situation, not the say of either of them.

link and link

amjay13

Jan 7, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
Oates won out in D.C. over Mike Haviland and Jon Cooper, who both made impressive bids for the job.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Was pulling for Haviland, though that's just as a Hawks fan that was disgruntled that he was given the boot when he was the good assistant coach.

Cush

Dec 1, 2002
Northern Virginia
Ovechkin with 80 next year?

hall_oates.jpg

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I am liking Oates already :yo:

One of Oates’ philosophies is that right-handed shooting players should play right wing and left-handed players should play left wing. At his suggestion, left-handed shooting Martin St. Louis agreed to move from right wing to left wing and the move helped ignite the career of Steven Stamkos. The two linemates combined for 189 points in Oates’ only season behind the Lightning bench.

But it is what Oates has done with Ilya Kovalchuk in New Jersey that most impresses Tocchet and, in his opinion, makes him the ideal choice to coach the Capitals.

“He knows the mind of a superstar because he was one,” Tocchet said. “He helped Kovalchuk by showing him how to work the give and go and I think he could reach a player like Alex Ovechkin.

Ovi flubs far too many one timers at LW. Even on the rush at LW, shots dried up starting in Montreal, game 1. While Bruce did have him rushing down the RW a few times in game 2, it was short lived. Ovi needs fresh ideas on places to score from, and ways to score - working better with linemates.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
From our team's beat writer;

Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice
Adam Oates is very popular with all of the Devils' players for his attention to detail. Zach Parise spent a lot of time working with him.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
Wish George would go down with this hire should Oates falter, but George has more lives than a cat.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Well it sure seems Tocchet is a big Oates supporter. I wonder if Tocchet and George are buddies. Not like buds with Mrs 99 I presume.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
This is hilarious. I'm generally an optimistic guy, and I'll give Oates the benefit of the doubt, but it's just so predictable that GMGM went with the ex-Cap with no NHL head coaching experience...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad