Confirmed with Link: Oates named head coach

EHCler

May 9, 2003
Visit site
Maybe some players for actually learn how to freaking pass the puck. Im sure he will breath some life into our offense again.

Jedgi

Feb 12, 2008
Interesting that Zach Parise worked a lot with Adam Oates in New Jersey. Could mean the Caps might have a reasonable chance to sign him if they don't try to re-sign Semin. I'm not sure I really want the Caps overpaying for him though.

sunnydaycrash

Feb 24, 2004
Vancouver
“@SWhyno: #NJDevils' Zubrus on Adam Oates: "I'm happy, I guess, for Washington, but a little bit disappointed because I liked him. I liked him a lot."â€

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
This is hilarious. I'm generally an optimistic guy, and I'll give Oates the benefit of the doubt, but it's just so predictable that GMGM went with the ex-Cap with no NHL head coaching experience...

Yep, I was predicting a former Cap, along with many others, although Oates was off my radar. My darkhorse candidate was Casey Jones :laugh:

I am glad that we at least got someone with a proven offensive mind. But he will probably show up at Kettler with a blow torch and hack saw and fix everyone's twigs properly. Give them all a short flat pass happy tune.

+1 The timing is dead on to land Parise.

Foy

Jun 6, 2006
I am not sure I have ever been so upset with gmgm. If we can forgive Oates, maybe Jagr will be the coach after that.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Anyone think maybe Oates was hired in part to persuading Parise to sign here?
Nope, it's all about Stephen Gionta.

http://capitals.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=636124
“We are very pleased to name Adam Oates as the new head coach of the Washington Capitals,†said McPhee. “Adam was a highly intelligent player in the NHL for 19 seasons. He has been an assistant coach in our conference for the past three seasons and is prepared to lead our club as head coach.â€

Liberati0n*

I am not sure I have ever been so upset with gmgm. If we can forgive Oates, maybe Jagr will be the coach after that.
I'm hearing rumors they're about to announce Bondra as one of Oates' assistants.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
I would like to see what oates can teach backstrom and mojo also has ribero as a passing center. fit is to prefect

IkeaMonkey*

After the 2000–01 season, Adam Oates demanded a trade but management refused and stripped him of his team captaincy.

The Washington Capitals picked up Adam Oates' $3 million contract option for the 2001-02 season Saturday, beating a midnight deadline, but the veteran centre angrily demanded to be traded.
"I have no desire of coming back, and I'm not going to come back," Oates was quoted in Sunday editions of The Washington Post. "I'm going to ask them to trade me. . . . The Caps will do just fine without me."

NoMoreChoking

Sep 30, 2009
Foy doesn't like any ex-Caps. They're all traitors and backstabbers.

Oates was a backstabber. He gave up. He quit cause they weren't winning.

Great captain, great leader right there

Plus the the guy would never shoot the damn puck. He was so frustrating to watch

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Ok thanks, but digging a little deeper, do we know why he demanded a trade?

Hopefully he was smarter than his coach :)

Perhaps he was pissed talks took until the midnight hour?? Anyone think we low balled him.

Maybe a feisty temper will be good for us.

Last edited:

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
lol that would be pretty damn funny if we signed Parise. I HIGHLY doubt it would happen, but just to see all the fanbases (Pittsburgh, NYR, NJ) cry about it and go "WTF??"

I'm fine with this hiring. This was a meticulous process, I'm confident they picked who they thought was the right man. So I trust them for now. I was honestly hoping for Haviland, but Oates it is! Hope we do well

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad