Confirmed with Link: Oates named head coach

IkeaMonkey*

This was my least favorite of the three options. So I'm back to "go **** yourself GMGM" camp.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Ok thanks, but digging a little deeper, do we know why he demanded a trade?

Hopefully he was smarter than his coach :)

Cant blame him for wanting to jump ship after Jagr came in.

If i remember right Oates didnt like giving his spot on the PP1 halfboard to Jagr when JJ wasnt even trying out there

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
FWIW, Oates had a history as a player of not so nice break-ups going back to STL and the contract stuff from what I recall.

Looking for some positives, he also has a reputation as a good teacher in terms of face-offs (specifically recall some comments made by Horcoff,) and more, etc., in later parts of his playing career, even before the asst. coaching stuff. It's going to be pretty interesting to watch him make the transition to being a head coach.

sunnydaycrash

Feb 24, 2004
Vancouver
Well, Parise is calling it a big loss for the Devils, ......so that's Zubrus and Parise who seem upset about it.....good sign I suppose

Duke33

Oct 9, 2009
Houston, TX
Meh. He'll do. As long as they abandon the "let's score one and try to hold on for 60 minutes" policy I'm fine with whatever.

Jackstrom19

Jun 5, 2012
Wait so Oates is beloved by his players in New Jersey, helped Kovalchuck turn his career around, created the St. Louis/Stamkos connection AND takes the Caps closer to the top of the list to ink Parise...but he was a terrible hire? :amazed:

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
If he can get Ovi playing like the old Ovi then I'm okay with this. That should be his #1 priority, IMO.

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
I actually like Oates. He is intense and knows the game. He is actually right there with Hunter in intensity, desire to win.

It'll be interesting.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
I dont think this has any infulence on our FA i dont think we get praise with or with out oates

Haha maybe Oates promissed GMGM he would sign praise to get the job

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Just when I thought there was nothing interesting going on in DC Sportsland...

...but seriously, sign Parise and ditch Semin.

butters8814*

I like it. At least we know no prevent in the third period like hunter. Maybe the caps have the inside track to parise:sarcasm:

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I actually like Oates. He is intense and knows the game. He is actually right there with Hunter in intensity, desire to win.

It'll be interesting.

He is intense. I remember our lady byng candidate getting downright nasty when the playoffs started. Pissed we presumably low balled him - he said F you. I think its good for a coach to have some fire in reserve.

I loved hearing Tocchet saying that he never stated the obvious. Hockey is such a simple sport, I think a coach risks losing the room stating the obvious, or with other dumb statements.

Werk harder! Just out werk em!

Last edited:

teucer

Jul 9, 2011
Windsor, ON
Sorry, I highly doubt Parise will sign with the Caps.
Only rumors I'm hearing is Flyers, Rangers,Stars, Wings, Wild.

If he doesn't stay with the devils that is.

IkeaMonkey*

He is intense. I remember our lady byng candidate getting downright nasty when the playoffs started. Pissed we presumably low balled him - he said F you. I think its good for a coach to some fire in reserve.

I loved hearing Tocchet saying that he never stated the obvious. Hockey is such a simple sport, I think a coach risks losing the room stating the obvious, or with other dumb statements.

Werk harder! Just out werk em!

Personally, when I need a good judge of character in the hockey world, the first name I dial is Rick Tochett.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad