Confirmed with Link: Oates named head coach

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
Some insight on Coach Oates.

He's a smart guy, he works well with players the players in New Jersey LOVED him.

Very instructive.

As long as he isn't in charge of the power play you guys should be in good shape. His only down fall is his inexperience.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
No idea about his ability as a coach. At least he's got both NHL playing and coaching experience. And he's got experience turning around a slumping Russian sniper.

I do have a nagging feeling we're missing out on a great one in Cooper, but he might not be ready for an NHL head coaching gig.

We'll see how it turns out. Best of luck, Adam. (if the twitter scuttlebutt pans out).

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
Despite my skepticism, glad they've gotten it done before July 1.

Maybe Parise will be so impressed he'll want to follow him. What, it could happen. :sarcasm:

:help:

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
2ceneyc.jpg

amjay13

Jan 7, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I'll withhold judgement until I see his style. The no NHL head coaching expereince thing doesn't bother me. He always struck me as a quiet leader as a player, was he still that way in NJ or was he more vocal?

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Several Devils had talked about liking how open/approachable he was as an assistant

Didn't have a closed door and was active around the locker room going from player to player with his laptop discussing things with different players

Guys like Marty and Elias who have been around the team the longest and have gone through dozens of different coaches said our coaching staff of DeBoer/Oates/Robinson was the best they ever had

EHCler

May 9, 2003
Visit site
Despite my skepticism, glad they've gotten it done before July 1.

Maybe Parise will be so impressed he'll want to follow him. What, it could happen. :sarcasm:

:help:

According to a post in a NJ thread they are best buddies. :naughty:
Well lets give him a chance. if he does not work out its time to end GMGM time here.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
Not a fan of it, but I'll let it play out. Very curious to see who the assistants will be.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
@TSNBobMcKenzie: WSH will make formal announcement in about 30 minutes that Adam Oates is the new coach of the Capitals. Just as @DarrenDreger reported.

I'd like Haviland as an assistant for the forwards if he's open to it.

He at least has the reputation of a good skill development guy and that's certainly needed. Beyond that, very curious how he'd deal with adversity.

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
@TSNBobMcKenzie: WSH will make formal announcement in about 30 minutes that Adam Oates is the new coach of the Capitals. Just as @DarrenDreger reported.

I'd like Haviland as an assistant for the forwards if he's open to it.

He at least has the reputation of a good skill development guy and that's certainly needed. Beyond that, very curious how he'd deal with adversity.

I'd be worried about Haviland if Oates isn't familiar with him. If a personality clash (or whatever) was what got him canned in CHI, I'd be afraid of immediately bringing him in with a new coach. Unified message is what I'd prefer here.

That said, they might get along well and I do like Haviland otherwise.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Sounds like a communicator

I wanted someone halfway in between a gabber and a Dale door in the face, but lets see what Adam sow your royal Oates can do

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00