Confirmed with Link: Oates named head coach

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Very experienced as an assistant coach, had a long NHL career, and has a high level of familiarity with Oates. I can dig it--though I expect Joe B. won't be able to contain himself.

He's also a Caps retread (did 5 years as assistant under Ron Wilson) and Cup winner (as a player). Apparently all of his prior assistant coaching experience has been for Ron Wilson - so fwiw, Wilson obviously likes the guy.

Anybody know anything about his style/personality?

Also, color me surprised that Caps were able to find a guy with club ties who is also a Cup winner (albeit not with WSH).

IkeaMonkey*

The same Tim Hunter who was an assistant here for half a decade?

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Tim "The Nose" Hunter? Guess he does bring experience to the table. Never really paid much attention to assistant coaches when he was here the first time, what's his style like? Can he crack the whip when needed?

My prediction is Berube
Moot point now, but it's highly unlikely the Flyers would have let him interview for a lateral position.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Moot point now, but it's highly unlikely the Flyers would have let him interview for a lateral position.

You are most likely correct.

But I will go down in internet history as the last person to waste energy ;) and make an incorrect prediction on who our 2nd assistant will be.

Last edited:

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Not really surprised. A former assistant with the Caps and lots of coaching experience. I really hated him as a player, but he did his job as an enforcer. The battle of Alberta was always interesting.

Go Caps!

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
Rock the Re-treds!!

I like it! I'm going to keep this slogan in mind in case we don't win the Cup this year. But I'm going to be nice this year.

Go Caps!

Btw, I like Tim Hunter. I wouldn't want to take a shift off or a practice off and have to skate back to the bench with him looking at me, disappointed.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
3129zm0.jpg

Seems really odd to say, but knowing this mug will be seen on the Caps bench this year has had a calming influence on me. :laugh:

Thinking back on the Wilson era I always enjoyed the shots of Hunter next to him on the bench. The typical face of a grizzled hockey veteran. Always had a quite laugh when he found his way onto my TV screen.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Another staffing decision made to pander to Joey Crabb?!

Sounds fine. I'm still really confused about 2LW though.

unless semin returns, its 21.

ovechkin-backstrom-johansson
laich-ribiero-brouwer/wolski
chimera-beagle-ward
hendricks-perreault-crabb

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
unless semin returns, its 21.

ovechkin-backstrom-johansson
laich-ribiero-brouwer/wolski
chimera-beagle-ward
hendricks-perreault-crabb

Man... with the Rangers adding Nash, Canes adding Staal, Panthers adding Huberdeau/Kuba, Flyers potentially adding Weber, etc, etc...

We're looking like less of a contender than we were last year. Whopee. FA 2012.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad