Confirmed with Link: Oates named head coach

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
The aversion isn't to hiring an ex-Cap. The aversion is to hiring an ex-Cap because he's an ex-Cap, rather than hiring a guy with the best qualifications.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
It seems at least with this first hire that track record and familiarity to Oates was a key aspect. Someone that had a strong working relationship with Oates as a player and who he trusts as an attentive evaluator. If it is another fairly inexperienced presence that second hire becomes pretty important, though. Of course, a more experienced presence is probably going to cost more as well.

I wonder if Haviland resurfaces either here or in NJ given that all AHL head coaching positions have been filled. IINM aside from NJD/WSH, both CHI & LAK need to hire another assistant and that's it around the league otherwise.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
From my perspective, the reason the topic of former Caps players/former Oates teammates is being discussed, is specifically because of Oates comment during an interview this week; the same day McPhee confirmed that they were likely to have one of the asst coaches hired by the end of this week pending some paperwork (and I assume some file negotiations.)

what i read i that oates comment was that oates felt like it was very important for him to have one assistant coach that he knows well. someone that he can trust to talk to that understands him. that is perfectly understandable. its standard practice. i didnt read into that comment that he wanted a former capital. only that former capital teammates are including among the many former teammates that he has had in detroit, boston, philly, st louis, anaheim and so forth.

bruce boudreau, glen hanlon, bruce cassidy, ron wilson, and so on were not former capitals.

it makes me wonder if mcphee had a shot at dave tippett next time around if he would be shot down hard because he is a former capital?

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
what i read i that oates comment was that oates felt like it was very important for him to have one assistant coach that he knows well. someone that he can trust to talk to that understands him. that is perfectly understandable. its standard practice. i didnt read into that comment that he wanted a former capital. only that former capital teammates are including among the many former teammates that he has had in detroit, boston, philly, st louis, anaheim and so forth.

bruce boudreau, glen hanlon, bruce cassidy, ron wilson, and so on were not former capitals.

it makes me wonder if mcphee had a shot at dave tippett next time around if he would be shot down hard because he is a former capital?

Dave Tippett is well-qualified. A part-time TV analyst is not.

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
It seems at least with this first hire that track record and familiarity to Oates was a key aspect. Someone that had a strong working relationship with Oates as a player and who he trusts as an attentive evaluator. If it is another fairly inexperienced presence that second hire becomes pretty important, though. Of course, a more experienced presence is probably going to cost more as well.

I wonder if Haviland resurfaces either here or in NJ given that all AHL head coaching positions have been filled. IINM aside from NJD/WSH, both CHI & LAK need to hire another assistant and that's it around the league otherwise.

I would worry about Haviland (although obviously if it's Oates decision it'd be fine) if only because of the message it might send. If he's a finalist for your HC job, does bringing him in undermine your HC? Was there anything to the mixed-message stuff in CHI, and will that resurface?

Not against Havelind, just wondering how they'd play it given Oates' inexperience.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Dave Tippett is well-qualified. A part-time TV analyst is not.

we are not just talking about johansson here. thats the point. if you dont want calle its because of his lack of experience. i dont think johansson is the guy and all this thrashing over him is wasted energy.

to me this is about oates after hunter. am i wrong?

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
we are not just talking about johansson here. thats the point. if you dont want calle its because of his lack of experience. i dont think johansson is the guy and all this thrashing over him is wasted energy.

to me this is about oates after hunter. am i wrong?

Has there been a former Cap with a solid resume that people have shown an aversion to?

This is about nostalgia over qualifications, or vice versa.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Building on my point, I'd be fine with Kono. Two years as an NHL assistant and two years as a head coach in the WHL in the last four is a legitimate resume.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I would worry about Haviland (although obviously if it's Oates decision it'd be fine) if only because of the message it might send. If he's a finalist for your HC job, does bringing him in undermine your HC? Was there anything to the mixed-message stuff in CHI, and will that resurface?

Not against Havelind, just wondering how they'd play it given Oates' inexperience.
I'd think if Haviland really was one of the finalists for the job that they vetted him pretty thoroughly and should have a pretty good idea of whether that could be a fit personality wise or not. I'd hope that Oates is involved in any further interviews as well for him to get a sense of the field.

Another factor at play could be that they may need someone that can crack the whip among the assistants and Haviland doesn't come across as that type. Someone will need to tell them when it's sack grabbing time.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004

I never stated it will be an ex-Cap. Yes, the comment, from listening to the interview posted online at WashCaps the other day, was about having someone he could trust, work well with, etc., and it was either implied or stated about it being a former teammate. And yes, Oates didn't play his entire career for the Caps, we all know that fact.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
If his former-Capness elevated him over the other guys, yes.

But he at least was a legitimate candidate, being an up-and-coming NHL assistant.

thats a big and unsubstantiated IF.

otherwise he was a legit candidate. all this blathering about johansson and its reflection on mcphee is.....well....lets talk about that if he gets hired. my take is its not him and so many here are just assuming the worst and then looking to tee off on baseless assumptions.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I never stated it will be an ex-Cap. Yes, the comment, from listening to the interview posted online at WashCaps the other day, was about having someone he could trust, work well with, etc., and it was either implied or stated about it being a former teammate. And yes, Oates didn't play his entire career for the Caps, we all know that fact.

my comment was not directed a you. it was directed at those that took oates comment to a former cap to calle johansson directly to fail and doom.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
thats a big and unsubstantiated IF.

otherwise he was a legit candidate. all this blathering about johansson and its reflection on mcphee is.....well....lets talk about that if he gets hired. my take is its not him and so many here are just assuming the worst and then looking to tee off on baseless assumptions.

Dale was unquestionably hired due to being an ex-Cap. GMGM then hired an ex-Cap as a replacement. So the criticisms of McPhee in that regard are not unfounded. His recent track record would indicate that he favors ex-Caps.

The concern about hiring a coach for nostalgic reasons above competence is legitimate.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
...If it is another fairly inexperienced presence that second hire becomes pretty important, though. Of course, a more experienced presence is probably going to cost more as well.

I wonder if Haviland resurfaces either here or in NJ given that all AHL head coaching positions have been filled. IINM aside from NJD/WSH, ....

Agree about the experience.

Has AHL Bridgeport named a head coach?

As to Haviland, the question is do you think McPhee and Oates would be comfortable bringing in Haviland who has aspirations of being a head coach to work with Oates, a first time head coach, and would Haviland have an interest in that role with a brand new head coach in place.

OT: Haviland is from NJ...paging Lou, ha ha

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Dale was unquestionably hired due to being an ex-Cap. GMGM then hired an ex-Cap as a replacement. So the criticisms of McPhee in that regard are not unfounded. His recent track record would indicate that he favors ex-Caps.

The concern about hiring a coach for nostalgic reasons above competence is legitimate.

i disagree on hunter. my understanding is that dale was offered and had turned down other nhl head coaching jobs. choosing him was not an off the board pick. his association with the team gave him a leg up on knowing the personel and for an in season fill in, i think he was a good choice.

i dont think he was hired for nostalgia. in fact i think that nostalgia hurt him.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
i disagree on hunter. my understanding is that dale was offered and had turned down other nhl head coaching jobs. choosing him was not an off the board pick. his association with the team gave him a leg up on knowing the personel and for an in season fill in, i think he was a good choice.

i dont think he was hired for nostalgia. in fact i think that nostalgia hurt him.

What NHL head coaching jobs had he been offered and turned down?

No chance Dale would have been hired if he wasn't a former Cap.

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
GMGM had been after him for some time, no? I mean I guess you can argue he liked the way he had worked as a prospect developer, but I don't buy that he would have been GMGM's top priority for so many years if his name were Dale Smith given his resume.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Has AHL Bridgeport named a head coach?
Good call. That's still open.

Hard to say whether Haviland is a fit or not, for all the reasons mentioned. It's tougher to gauge the assistant field overall. NJ does seem like a better fit, though, even aside from location.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Building on my point, I'd be fine with Kono. Two years as an NHL assistant and two years as a head coach in the WHL in the last four is a legitimate resume.
One year as a WHL head coach.

Another factor at play could be that they may need someone that can crack the whip among the assistants and Haviland doesn't come across as that type. Someone will need to tell them when it's sack grabbing time.
Haviland was definitely the "good cop" in Chicago, especially when compared to Quenville.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
CHI fills their vacancy with Jamie Kompon, recently let go by LAK and a former assistant to Q in the past. NJD hires Matt Shaw & Scott Stevens. That leaves LA as the only team in clear need of another assistant (besides the Caps of course).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad