Confirmed with Link: Oates named head coach

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
CHI fills their vacancy with Jamie Kompon, recently let go by LAK and a former assistant to Q in the past. NJD hires Matt Shaw & Scott Stevens. That leaves LA as the only team in clear need of another assistant (besides the Caps of course).

Always seemed to me based on reading the updates from NJ the last few years that Stevens was going to take the job with the NJD if he decided he was ready for full time asst job rather than being the special asst.

Interesting about Shaw since someone who posts here mentioned his name to me in a DM this morning wondering whether he’d be a possibility for the Caps.

Forgot LAK had an open spot still.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Coaching updates:

Scott Pellerin to be named next head coach for AHL Bridgeport (Isles affiliate); I believe it was the only remaining head coach opening in the AHL right now. source

per a Whyno RT: TBL just signed Zettler to be an assistant coach for AHL Syracuse

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
It wouldn't have been a big deal to be wrong, had you not also thrown in thrashing over him is wasted energy

Why go the extra mile!

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...oaching-staff/2012/07/19/gJQAq95xvW_blog.html
“I felt it was more important to get the defensive guy that I wanted,†Oates explained in a phone interview. “Because I was a forward as a player, I think it’s going to be easier for me to have a rapport with the forwards.â€

“We wanted to make sure that whoever we brought in on the defensive side, that our personalities gel really well,†Oates said. “I want the same kind of complementary relationship, for sure, when we fill the second position – it’s going to be a forward guy — but it will be a lot easier to speak the same language and coach those guys in a sense.â€...

While Oates isn’t concerned about making the transition, he acknowledged that experience is one of the elements they’re considering when looking at candidates for the second assistant coaching position.

“I think [experience] matters, certainly,†Oates said. “But you have to meet the other criteria as well. If it works out where the right person has a lot more NHL experience, great.â€

Oates added that he expects the coaching staff will be completed “shortly.†It’s believed an announcement on the second assistant coach could come next week.
Good to hear they want a collaborative coaching environment.

IkeaMonkey*

Can we get a goalie now for the other assistant?

Hanlon?

What is Don Beaupre doing nowadays?

Tabaracci?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Preferred him to Tocchet so...woo.

His ample assistant experience is much needed.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Very experienced as an assistant coach, had a long NHL career, and has a high level of familiarity with Oates. I can dig it--though I expect Joe B. won't be able to contain himself.

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
As far as guys with whom Oates has a working relationship go, have to like Hunter's experience. Is he the hard-ass they might need from time to time?

Liberati0n*

Very experienced as an assistant coach, had a long NHL career, and has a high level of familiarity with Oates. I can dig it--though I expect Joe B. won't be able to contain himself.

Between him and Johansson I don't know how he's going to be able to handle the new coaching staff.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
9sdthz.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad