Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
unless semin returns, its 21.

ovechkin-backstrom-johansson
laich-ribiero-brouwer/wolski
chimera-beagle-ward
hendricks-perreault-crabb

Not liking that fourth line. It just doesn't seem like it has a well defined strength or role. I guess it's just an energy line, but I'd rather have an energy line that can win faceoffs and play strong D.

NoMoreChoking

Sep 30, 2009
Man... with the Rangers adding Nash, Canes adding Staal, Panthers adding Huberdeau/Kuba, Flyers potentially adding Weber, etc, etc...

We're looking like less of a contender than we were last year. Whopee. FA 2012.

I remember a lot of people saying that a couple years ago. We will be fine.

exwhaler

Feb 1, 2006

chimera-beagle-ward

My guess is that you'll see more of Perreault on the left second wing than Beagle on the third line center.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Meant to post this yesterday when I heard it, but the Tim Hunter "no relation" crap has started already. That was used on 980 yesterday. Did an immediate :facepalm: when I heard it.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
My guess is that you'll see more of Perreault on the left second wing than Beagle on the third line center.

realistically, perreault on left wing with ribiero at center is a defensive disaster. you could never use that package on the road. t would get eaten alive.

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
realistically, perreault on left wing with ribiero at center is a defensive disaster. you could never use that package on the road. t would get eaten alive.

Ribeiro's going to get eaten alive in anything but offensive zone starts regardless. Might be easier just to lump them together to protect them both.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
i wouldnt do that. you cant protect them that well unless you keep them on the bench and that defeats the purpose of getting ribiero in the first place.

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
i wouldnt do that. you cant protect them that well unless you keep them on the bench and that defeats the purpose of getting ribiero in the first place.

Protect them by starting them in the o-zone. Let the matchups be what they will if you can't control them, but maximize the o-zone starts. That's what you sort of need to do with Ribeiro in the first place.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
maybe, but i would always use ovechkin/backstrom for offensive zone starts whenever possible. that would mean limited ice for the 2nd line which is unnecessary if you just used a responsible winger instead of perreault.

if 2LW is the only place to use 85, i'd rather scratch him

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
Backstrom can handle dzone starts because he's not the liability Ribeiro is. That might dictate a Backstrom-MoJo pairing and an Ovi-Ribeiro pairing (to get Ovi the o-zone starts).

But if you're not protecting Ribeiro with o-zone starts, you're probably using him wrong regardless of who else is on his line. I see what you mean about Perreault possibly making it worse, but either way it will depend on the coaching philosophy.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
chimera-beagle-ward

Top6 looks decent, bottom6... meh. And if we play Ovechkin with Ribeiro, well, both top 2 lines don't look that threatening. And if we don't, Ribeiro's line doesn't look that good.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I'd go the other route....Top 6 Meh....bottom 6 decent...

I can't wait to see Beagle silence the non-believers. I think he's earned himself a regular steady role on the 3rd (4th depending on where Laich lands), but I see people still doubting him. I think the Caps love him.

Last edited:

Liberati0n*

I think Beagle actually has more to show. CCF and I can found the BDF.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Laich-Ribeiro-Ovechkin
Johansson-Backstrom-Semin

MJ eclipsing 25G and 50P this season.
What else should I predict?

Halpysback*

I think Beagle actually has more to show. CCF and I can found the BDF.

More than 20 mins a game? I dunno, I love him as much as anyone but I think he's at least a year off from being the 1C that we deserve, but not the one we need.

Liberati0n*

More than 20 mins a game? I dunno, I love him as much as anyone but I think he's at least a year off from being the 1C that we deserve, but not the one we need.

:rolleyes:

I obviously mean that I think he has more to show within his role.

Dirtbag59

May 13, 2011

chimera-beagle-ward

I don't know what to think of the current roster. On one hand you could argue it's the deepest it's been in years. On the other hand you could also argue that it's very mediocre. Theres a lot of good and promising pieces but it remains to be seen where and how they will all fit particularly guys like Johanson, Ward, Perreaullt, Brouwer, and Wolski.

Are Majo/MP third line Centers or top 2 line wingers? Does Ward belong on a checking/shutdown line with limited minutes or does he get a chance with a scoring line? Does Chimera deserve more time on the top 2 lines after a 20 goal campaign in a defense first system? Should Wolski be in a top 6 role with a center like Ribero or Backstrom to take advantage of his vast potential or will he be back in the press box? Where does Brouwer belong?

Lots of speculation from everyone!

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
As far as my opinion of Oates, one thing scares me. Although its clear he was a great assistant, with all his players praising him, its also clear that as a captain and leader, he was a whiny, douchy selfish ***** - NOT a great leader. The problem is that assistant coaches can be a players buddy, and offer little besides technical coaching to be an asset to the player. Assistant coaches don't bench players, cut players, or have to discipline a player who misses a meeting or violates a team rule. But a Head Coach has to do all those things. A HC has to be a real leader, who can't be buddies with his stars, because he has to get them to do things they may not want to do. See Ovechkin, Alex re: Defense. A HC has to get his players to set aside their selfish interests and do what's in the best interest of the team. Dale had started to get everyone to do that, but hadn't quite gotten through to AO yet.

Oates has proven to be a solid assistant. But I fear as a leader who has to set a tone and rally his troops around a single cause greater than one's own interest, he may not have that skill. He certainly didn't do that as captain of the Caps, but maybe he too has matured since then?

Interesting take. :shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad