Pre-Game Talk: nyrcar

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Does anyone think this is actually going to happen? I mean look what a shit show MLB has become just a few games in. Maybe they won't wind up sneaking out to cavort beneath Covid infested strippers in Toronto, but maybe somebody will. And these guys touch each other more than ballplayers.

I think they pull it off for these playoffs. But MLB's problems makes me less optimistic about next season as they can't bubble a whole season. I am also wondering how the NFL and college football thinks they have a chance in hell of making this season work.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Does anyone think this is actually going to happen? I mean look what a shit show MLB has become just a few games in. Maybe they won't wind up sneaking out to cavort beneath Covid infested strippers in Toronto, but maybe somebody will. And these guys touch each other more than ballplayers.

This is a much more effective system than MLB is using, where players are traveling between cities and apparently having team meetings to decide whether to play after positive tests on the team or even tell the opponent about positive tests.

My question is whether the NHL will be as draconian as MLS, who dropped Nashville from their tournament after 10 players and one staff member tested positive.

If a team turns out to be a hotspot with many positive players, does the NHL have the guts to remove them from the playoffs? Or will they delay the playoffs and quarantine the team?

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Like others have said I think this has a good chance of happening. They’ve done the work about as well as they can. Now it comes down to how the players act and some luck. If enough players on one team test positive and a single game has to be altered because of it, doesn’t it fall down as quickly as the other sports? Maybe they have provisions for that too.

Also like someone else said I’m more worried about how next season will be affected. I’d rather next season go well over this season finishing. I’d be fine with the tournament being cancelled.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
To my understanding, they’ve gotten the players into their bubble, and at last test, no one tested positive. So now it’s just a matter of keeping them inside their bubble. And it seems like the players are willing to do so, and the league has made extra efforts to make the bubble comfortable for them. So while I was skeptical this would work, it certainly seems like it’s got a chance to do so.

On an unrelated note, I just now realized that, because they’re piping in cheers/chants/etc to simulate a real game, there’s a very real chance they will pipe in boos when Bettman comes to present the Cup to whoever wins it. God, I hope that happens.

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
I think they pull it off for these playoffs. But MLB's problems makes me less optimistic about next season as they can't bubble a whole season. I am also wondering how the NFL and college football thinks they have a chance in hell of making this season work.

The fact that the NFL and CFB only play once a week shifts odds in their favor. Unlike baseball, where they're playing 5-6 days a week and traveling once or twice over that timespan. Playing once a week also allows more time for recovery/testing in case a player tests positive.

jiitu

Jun 17, 2013
I don't even think the major problem fro next season is the players. I mean, it has to be taken into account, but how long you think, NHL can run without audience? That is a big deal.

I am still very optimistic about the vaccine, but it still is late for next season. Like someone somewhere suggested, season could start with division-bubble for first month. 2 games against each division opponents in bubble would help to start early enough to have full season and get some tv-money. Then, maybe we could be closer to moment that all vaccinated people can enter the building etc.

Most probably will need quite a bit improvising and also probably season will stretch to quite far next summer if and when there comes some break(s).

But starting with short-term bubble would buy some time. But the whole season without audience, it's almost impossible for the league. Or it will require some new negotiation with players with salary issues. Or I don't know how flexible this contract really is if the turnover really drops by 70 % etc.

Anyway, let's play this season now, when it can be played and let's worry net season afterward.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
At this point, it's tradition. And think about who's making the decision. If you had the chance to publicly give your boss a hard time while being able to legitimately claim it's good for the company, wouldn't you leap at that chance?

Given how Bettman usually reacts, I wouldn't be surprised if he insists on having the boos. He takes them in stride usually, and having them pipe in boos would be a nice way of poking fun at it

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I’ve kept a beard all quarantine, at times letting it get gross, and at times trimming.

Should I shave tomorrow night for the beginning of the playoffs? Or just trim?

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
I’ve kept a beard all quarantine, at times letting it get gross, and at times trimming.

Should I shave tomorrow night for the beginning of the playoffs? Or just trim?
Is it technically the playoffs yet though? I’ve had a beard of varying lengths for the last 10 years or so. Never more than about 2” until now. Managed to get to 4”+ so far but I’ve been thinking of trimming it much shorter for the playoffs.

Reactions: zman77

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
same, haven't shaved since then either

well on my way to looking like brent burns

I thought about doing that, but I did that about 4 years ago and my wife will have none of it. In both cases, the hair on my head and on my face seem unaffected by gravity and just pile up and push out. In regards to my beard, imagine Bob Ross's fro on his face. That's my beard look. No one needs a repeat of that.

Reactions: emptyNedder

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Lockdown Beards: Thornton & Burns
6_5444034.png

Reactions: WreckingCrew

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
I thought about doing that, but I did that about 4 years ago and my wife will have none of it. In both cases, the hair on my head and on my face seem unaffected by gravity and just pile up and push out. In regards to my beard, imagine Bob Ross's fro on his face. That's my beard look. No one needs a repeat of that.
You can buy straightening brushes these days. Just got one and I’m wondering why I waited so long to pull the trigger. It’s amazing.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2