Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYR] Vladislav Namestnikov extends with the Rangers (2 years, $4M AAV)

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Not happy about it. As soon as he was removed from top end talent on the Bolts production declined.

$4M is a lot for a 3rd line player. He didn't look like a top 6 guy to me.

KingTux

On espère pour Lafrenière
Aug 9, 2013
hu2l
Ok can someone fill me up with the reasons why J.T Miller contract is bad ?

From a neutral POV it looks pretty decent

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012

I think it's just fans wanting to fight on the internet. JT Miller contract is fine and Namestnikov is also fine. This is why the two were basically swapped with some added value on top of McD's return. It wasn't an even swap of talent, since Miller is clearly the better player. NYR knew what Miller's camp was going to look for and settled for the similar aged guy who was going to ask for less. My assumption, from what I've read, is that the addition of Howden or Hajek to the full deal was that added value for the jump in talent.

With legit linemates in TB, Miller's deal could look like a steal in the coming years as he continues to mature into his prime.

NHL

Sep 1, 2014
There is a lot of things to love about this player. Let the guy play with teams best and he'll probably fill a top 6 role in a decent way. Smart, all-around, pkable, good talent.

Reactions: Machinehead

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
He can play with good players which might let you spread your talent around a bit more but definitely not a guy that will drive a line or anything.

Everblades13

May 24, 2016
If Miller produces the way I think he will with Tampa, this will be a steal of a deal for the Lightning
It is the internet so everyone has to take a hard stance. In reality the Vladdy deal is fine for what the Rangers are doing and the Miller deal is fine for what the Lightning are doing. Miller is indisputably better, which is why he got more money for years, as he should.

There just isn't that much to it.

Reactions: Fireonk and Trxjw

Doriva

May 6, 2015
Middlesbrough, UK
For those comparing Miller / Vlad post trade it's worth noting that whilst Miller is the better player, Vlad spent a lot of time playing with the likes of Cody McLeod so the production drop off is natural. As for the value of Millers contract compared to Vlad, with the tax differences Miller likely would have been asking for $6m+ in New York, which at 5 years+ is a different animal for a team mid-way through a rebuild, compared to a low risk 2 year pact - even if slightly overpaying in some peoples opinions.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York

Imo it's not a bad contract necessarily. The issue is that he and TB aren't a great match in that TB has trouble performing at pivotal playoff moments and JT has the exact same problem. TB really, really has to be pushing to win ASAP and I feel like Miller isn't a great commitment for them to make in this position because he exacerbates their biggest issue.

Reactions: SantaClaus

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
in 20 months, if he produces decently, you're looking at a player, with half salary retention, that will net the team a 2nd and a prospect. That works for me.

If they're contending at that time (not likely, but not impossible), he could be a valuable player for their 3rd line. As of now, he is filling in a spot and will help younger players (Chytil, Andersson, Howden, Buchnevich) by being someone they can lean on as a vet.

He can play center so those young players who are 19 and 20 can learn a little, and could move out to wing if they are struggling a little at center.

This also means Spooner is likely available for a pick + prospect.

Reactions: SantaClaus

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
Meh, people always try to find reasons to criticize any sort of Rangers signing.
They could sign Crosby, Malkin and McDavid for 5 years each at 1 Million AAV and people would still find something to criticize.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
There is a lot of things to love about this player. Let the guy play with teams best and he'll probably fill a top 6 role in a decent way. Smart, all-around, pkable, good talent.

He is not a smart player. He does fine defensively, has some talent, but the space between the ears is what keeps him from being a 50-60 point player.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017

It’s not bad but Miller has character issues (apparently) and he’s bad defensively+stupidly handles the puck a lot. Not to mention he’s awful when it comes to the playoffs. Great offensively though

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
I didn't really think much of his play when was on the Rangers. Of course, I believe the team had quit on AV by then and had it with his moronic system. So, maybe he will be better this season. At worst, if he's sitting there with 30 points at the deadline, they should get a decent pick for him.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
basically he has 2 decent seasons in OHL (in the 2nd his goal production went down), then he has average at best season in AHL (only 44 games), then he has a pretty good season in AHL (only 56 games though) and a small taste of NHL, then he splits nest season between NHL and AHL, while AHL production was strong, his rookie NHL season he was on pace for 31 points and had 1 point in 12 playoff games. Then he plays full season in NHL scoring 35 points and 3 points in 17 playoff games.

After all that Tampa overpays him with a 2 year @ 1.937 mil

Next season his production drops to 28 points, no playoff games and next season he scores 44 in 62 on top line of Tampa and 4 in 19 for the Rangers and no playoff games and somehow his salary more than doubles after these 2 seasons. I don't understand it.

Edit: also physically he hasn't done much either 244 hits in 282 regular season games.

Edit 2: Also he doesn't kill penalties how can you be considered good defensively if you are not regularly used on PK?

Last edited:

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
Still rather have him for 2 years rather than having to pay that lazy dog Miller 5.2 over 5. No thanks. Miller was also an awful example to the younger players on the team.

Reactions: Lays and haveandare

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad