Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYR] Vladislav Namestnikov extends with the Rangers (2 years, $4M AAV)

Bluto

Don't listen to me, I'm an idiot. TOGA! TOGA!
Dec 24, 2017
Miller is the better player.
Names is a transitional player for the Rangers. Worst case he walks in 2 years. Best case NYR trades him and retains half his salary. Not like NYR is going anywhere for the next 5 years.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
It was brought up because Miller's contract was labeled as laughable. That's why I even responded. I liked Names. As frustrating as he was, I wish him the best but it was time to move on. I don't disagree with you.

That's just it though. For the Rangers, Miller's contract would be laughable. For Tampa, Namestnikov's contract would be laughable. Both teams are looking for different things. Both contracts are laughable AND good, based solely on the situation of each team, yet half a dozen people in this thread are middle-school playgrounding each other in an attempt to prove that their guy's contract would be great to both teams and the other guy's contract would be laughable to both teams. It's silly.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I brought up point production because it actually matters when valuing a contract. He can hit over 50 without Stamkos and Kucherov. Fact. Namestnikov cant. Fact. Proof is his time here without them, he still couldn't. We got a 50 point player, you guys got a 40 point player. With exceptions on players, 10pts/1million is kind of the standard. You initially made a remark at how bad the term is.

Who would turn their heads to a guy who can score over 50 points on lines he previously played on? It's not hypocrisy, your contempt is just blinding you to what me and several others are trying to get across.

All I see with this is that you think "point production" means something for one guy and not the other.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
It means something for both. Your reasoning is failing you.

Names can't produce like Miller can. Miller without Stamkos and Kucherov outproduced Namestnikov with Stamkos and Kucherov. Fact. You're in denial.

Couldn't care less what the production is with the lack of effort, lack of results, and lack of improvement.

Once again - This is a Names thread. Since you previously ignored that, I'll post this again:

Now, can we all shut the hell up about a crappy, overpaid player like Miller and discuss our crappy, reasonably term'd Names?

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Lmao. Someone would pay 4 million (that's $1 million per point he scored with NYR) than 5.25 to Miller who outpaced Namestnikov in both TB and NYR.

I love this site.

No, a GM on a team that doesn't care about getting points would rather pay $8million than $26 million...you act like the NYR are going cup hunting in the next two years. If he paces better they pay him his 5.5x4. If not, he disappears and who cares.

Looking at his points from the TDL-on when NYR were in the process of looking at firing their coach and eliminated from the playoff race is pretty shortsighted.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
No, a GM on a team that doesn't care about getting points would rather pay $8million than $26 million...you act like the NYR are going cup hunting in the next two years. If he paces better they pay him his 5.5x4. If not, he disappears and who cares.

Looking at his points from the TDL-on when NYR were in the process of looking at firing their coach and eliminated from the playoff race is pretty shortsighted.

Seriously.

Reactions: haveandare

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Once again - This is a Names thread. Since you previously ignored that, I'll post this again:

Now, can we all shut the hell up about a crappy, overpaid player like Miller and discuss our crappy, reasonably term'd Names?

It's almost like this all started with a Tampa poster knocking a two-year contract. Interesting.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Also-I think it should be known by now that Vladdy wasn’t swapped for Miller straight up and this has been confirmed.
One last thing-this means it’s very likely GMJG sees Vladdy as a trade chip and not part of the future

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I know I'm having a lot more faith in people on here than I should, but people should learn to ignore trolls...

I think this thread is about 75% Miller. Which is 25% more than the effort he ever gave as a Ranger.

As I and others have repeatedly said, the 2-year deal with Names is key. I don't understand why some don't get this. The only thing that matters to a rebuilding team like ours is term. Cap hit is meaningless since we have cap space out the behind right now. He's going to be easily movable come the TDL in two years. We can eat whatever cap hit on him we'd need and grab a late first or 2nd plus a prospect.

This is the exact type of deal a team like ours needs right now. Which is why every single Rangers fan (save for one) is exceedingly happy about this. We were all worried about him getting a deal with too much term. Avoiding that means this is perfect.

Reactions: BerlinBlueShirt

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I'm sure you will enjoy Miller's consistency in the playoffs.:biglaugh:
He shrivels up in the playoffs like few others.
He will be pretty good in the regular season...streaky but good.
The Names deal is about term. He probably should have got 3.25 or 3.5 but come on its two years and the Rangers aren't winning the cup or even making the playoffs in those two years and they have plenty of cap space.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
AAV is high, but makes sense given the term and how he fits into the picture for NYR. If he plays responsibly, scores 40ish and helps the new Russian kids acclimate next year, it'll be well worth it.

Reactions: dumpin

Bobby Orr's Knees

Dec 17, 2002
Where it hurts most
Visit site
Miller is obviously a better player. However, he had zero chemistry with Stamkos & Kucherov. Stammer and Kuch didn't look like they had fun playing with him. Namestnikov is a borderline NHL-er, but a great guy to have in a locker room. And possibly a Russian buddy for Panarin.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The Rangers know what they're doing here, IMO. They likely realized the guy has no value around the league, so you either let him hold out, or you overpay him and get your tank season under way.

I'm not even kidding. I think this works for NY. Worst case scenario, you pay a guy too much money while you rebuild, and you probably slot him over his head for tank reasons. Best case scenario, he puts up 40ish points and suddenly the short term on his contract looks pretty great to a team looking for a low risk rental.

None of these things happen in a vacuum. Vlad is not a $4m player. He'll be lucky to hit 40 points. I'm guessing 30 is more likely. But this contract serves a purpose for the Rangers and could easily help with their rebuild/retool.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Miller is obviously a better player. However, he had zero chemistry with Stamkos & Kucherov.[/B] Stammer and Kuch didn't look like they had fun playing with him. Namestnikov is a borderline NHL-er, but a great guy to have in a locker room. And possibly a Russian buddy for Panarin.

You missed the end of the regular season where that line was on fire. They disappeared in the playoffs.

Miller was awesome in the reg season, pretty bad in the playoffs. I would have rather used him for trade bait, honestly, but the contract he got is pretty much what he's worth.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Tampa is gonna want to run Miller out of town halfway through the contract, eventually his ridiculous lack of hockey iq and coachability will be too much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad