Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYR] Vladislav Namestnikov extends with the Rangers (2 years, $4M AAV)

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
His numbers look pretty consistent the past two years. Same jab could be used on Namestnikov so I wouldn't use consistency as an argument.

And I think you do care. <3
Why would he care? Miller is exactly what we told you he would be, everyone was too busy worshipping Yzerman to listen.

Oh, boy. The numbers "look consistent". I take it you simply never watched the guy as a Ranger being that most of us are completely happy with him gone. Have fun stats surfing over the next five.
It’s absolutely hilarious that you were openly not a fan of Miller for years, and now people are forcing a narrative that you’re like broken-hearted without him. :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: Machinehead

TheGuarantee

Jul 1, 2016
Sample size be damned, Miller has consistently outproduced Namestnikov in the NHL while not having the quality of linemates that Namestnikov had. That's not up for debate. That's fact.

Except for the fact Namestnikov had 44 points in 62 games, while JT Miller had 40 in 63. So no, it’s not a fact. Future tip, avoid proclamations before actually looking up the info.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Why would he care? Miller is exactly what we told you he would be, everyone was too busy worshipping Yzerman to listen.

He called the deal laughable. Pretty certain he's out to lunch considering the deal is right for the AAV. Couple years too long but its not like it's not movable. Miller is nowhere close to being an albatross of a contract.

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
Except for the fact Namestnikov had 44 points in 62 games, while JT Miller had 40 in 63. So no, it’s not a fact. Future tip, avoid proclamations before actually looking up the info.

You missed his entire point.

Namestnikov rode Stamkos and Kucherov for that production. Miller did not have that quality on his line.

Miller hitting almost 60 points in back to back season while Namestnikovs beat was primarily because of Stamkos and Kucherov was the point he was trying to make.

Not pre trade point totals...

Reactions: Fixxer

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

It’s absolutely hilarious that you were openly not a fan of Miller for years, and now people are forcing a narrative that you’re like broken-hearted without him. :laugh:

Right? Search my post history regarding Miller. I've said this since his second season. The guy has been a disappointment every single year. He hasn't put in the work, he hasn't improved, and he simply has stagnated. This idea that Rangers fans, especially me, are upset about Miller being gone is laughable.

Addition by subtraction, frankly.

I'd easily take Names at two years and whatever dollar figure over Miller at five years and whatever dollar figure. Change the salaries and I'd say the same damn thing.

With these inconsistent guys, term is everything.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

Namestnikov rode Stamkos and Kucherov for that production. Miller did not have that quality on his line.

Miller hitting almost 60 points in back to back season while Namestnikovs beat was primarily because of Stamkos and Kucherov was the point he was trying to make.

I love how stats matter for one guy but not the other. The hypocrisy is unbelievable.

Reactions: Calad

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Must be embarrassing for you. Miller scored 58 points last year to Namestnikov's 48. Year before was 56-28 in favor of Miller. Before that? 43-35 in favor of Miller.

You may want to take your own advice there, champ.

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
If you're citing Miller's stats without his actual game? Yes. I think that speaks volumes.

Post trade the guy was money in the regular season. First round he was fine. Last two rounds he sucked hard but Namestnikov isn't and wasn't any better for us either when it came down to it. So if you figure in regular season play and Miller being able to actually win draws m, its not a bad deal. You're hell bent on trying to make it look like it's Callahan v2 but a 50pt player who is 25 years old is movable. There aren't too many guys that will get renewed that are that young and will get less. Not many teams would turn that down.

I personally wish it was 3 years though.

TheGuarantee

Jul 1, 2016

Which is fair to say, but judgement is still out on if he can still be a productive player for the Rangers, which is fine to be given a two year deal.

I was originally responding saying it’s not exactly the best comparable. People are acting as if they were traded 1:1 which is a ridiculous notion. Miller is the superior player, both sides can agree on that. Its just unnecessary to make the comparison.

Reactions: Stammertime91

TheGuarantee

Jul 1, 2016
Must be embarrassing for you. Miller scored 58 points last year to Namestnikov's 48. Year before was 56-28 in favor of Miller. Before that? 43-35 in favor of Miller.

You may want to take your own advice there, champ.

But you were still wrong ya dork.

Breathe a bit pal, you’re on a hockey message board discussing a player who isn’t even on your team. :laugh:

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Post trade the guy was money in the regular season. First round he was fine. Last two rounds he sucked hard but Namestnikov isn't and wasn't any better for us either when it came down to it. So if you figure in regular season play and Miller being able to actually win draws m, its not a bad deal. You're hell bent on trying to make it look like it's Callahan v2 but a 50pt player who is 25 years old is movable. There aren't too many guys that will get renewed that are that young and will get less. Not many teams would turn that down.

I personally wish it was 3 years though.

It's almost like Miller has had stretches where he's been "money" with the Rangers, too. Sort of like. I don't know. A streaky player?

Reactions: haveandare

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas

You're missing the point. The fact of the matter is that Namestnikov's ability to speak Russian is probably more valuable than his ability to score goals for the Rangers right now. The Rangers will be re-building for another couple of years. Namestnikov is a place-holder, and we're nowhere near the cap. Miller wasn't happy here, there were rumblings that he was being a problem behind the scenes, and for whatever reason, he seemed to never get it going in the post-season. By the time the Rangers would be back in a position to contend, Miller would be too expensive for what he brings. This is especially true because Miller's contract demands would have likely been much higher for the Rangers, factoring in taxes and cost of living.

As such, the Rangers went with the good teammate who can help acclimate our high end prospects. TB went with the player who can help take pressure off the top guys and hopefully figure out how to get it done in the post season. Both teams have exactly the player on exactly the contract that they want/need. I don't understand how/why this is even a fight.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Which is fair to say, but judgement is still out on if he can still be a productive player for the Rangers, which is fine to be given a two year deal.

I was originally responding saying it’s not exactly the best comparable. People are acting as if they were traded 1:1 which is a ridiculous notion. Miller is the superior player, both sides can agree on that. Its just unnecessary to make the comparison.
And it wasn't necessary until Rags fans had to compare the two after I questioned the Namestnikov contract. This wasn't initiated by someone trying to compare the two.

Reactions: Stammertime91

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
I love how stats matter for one guy but not the other. The hypocrisy is unbelievable.

My God, your reading comprehension is failing you.

His entire point was how Names would not hit that same point total without 91 and 86. It had nothing to do with where they were pre-trade. It had everything to do with Miller hitting over 50 and Names having never gotten there and probably won't without linemates like Stamkos and Kucherov. Ie, one being a 40 point guy, but anymore and he's a product of his linemates, whereas Miller hit nearly 60 without linemates as good as Stamkos and Kucherov.

Go back and read it again if you still fail to see what he was trying to get across. f*** me it's like talking to a wall.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
But you were still wrong ya dork.

Breathe a bit pal, you’re on a hockey message board discussing a player who isn’t even on your team. :laugh:
....how am I wrong though? Miller has outproduced Namestnikov every single season in the NHL from 15-16. Namestnikov had a better opening season, but since then it's not been close.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
My God, your reading comprehension is failing you.

His entire point was how Names would not hit that same point total without 91 and 86. It had nothing to do with where they were pre-trade. It had everything to do with Miller hitting over 50 and Names having never gotten there and probably won't without linemates like Stamkos and Kucherov. Ie, one being a 40 point guy, but anymore and he's a product of his linemates, whereas Miller hit nearly 60 without linemates as good as Stamkos and Kucherov.

Go back and read it again if you still fail to see what he was trying to get across. **** me it's like talking to a wall.

No, my "reading comprehension" is fine. You cited stats for Miller as the reason he's been consistent yet somehow citing stats for Names for some reason is not allowed. Again, the hypocrisy is pretty unbelievable. I love seeing a double standard like this.

Now, can we all shut the hell up about a crappy, overpaid player like Miller and discuss our crappy, reasonably term'd Names?

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
You're missing the point. The fact of the matter is that Namestnikov's ability to speak Russian is probably more valuable than his ability to score goals for the Rangers right now. The Rangers will be re-building for another couple of years. Namestnikov is a place-holder, and we're nowhere near the cap. Miller wasn't happy here, there were rumblings that he was being a problem behind the scenes, and for whatever reason, he seemed to never get it going in the post-season. By the time the Rangers would be back in a position to contend, Miller would be too expensive for what he brings. This is especially true because Miller's contract demands would have likely been much higher for the Rangers, factoring in taxes and cost of living.

As such, the Rangers went with the good teammate who can help acclimate our high end prospects. TB went with the player who can help take pressure off the top guys and hopefully figure out how to get it done in the post season. Both teams have exactly the player on exactly the contract that they want/need. I don't understand how/why this is even a fight.
It was brought up because Miller's contract was labeled as laughable. That's why I even responded. I liked Names. As frustrating as he was, I wish him the best but it was time to move on. I don't disagree with you.
And it wasn't necessary until Rags fans had to compare the two after I questioned the Namestnikov contract. This wasn't initiated by someone trying to compare the two.

This. Yet one guy is acting like "yeah, yeah uh huh yesman" but he's not getting it.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
So you recognize that they really aren’t comparables?
And like I said, I never compared them until some Rags fans chose to do so.

Miller is the superior player in every way. I'm glad we've all agreed on that.

Enjoy the 15 pts next season.

TheGuarantee

Jul 1, 2016
....how am I wrong though? Miller has outproduced Namestnikov every single season in the NHL from 15-16. Namestnikov had a better opening season, but since then it's not been close.

You chose the sample size of Namestnikov with his duration for the Rangers, while I was using the sample size of pre-trade. That’s the argument I was making. While his statline was atrocious in NY. It’s not fair to give him an evaluation of that time period. New York wrote a letter to their fans saying they are going to fully rebuild and trade away players. You think that’s a fun locker room to be in? NY was a dumpster fire last year. Ryan Spooner had a phenomenal stint and I wouldn’t say that makes his value any higher than it had been before his trade. I just don’t believe that sample size is a fair consideration, that is all.

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
No, my "reading comprehension" is fine. You cited stats for Miller as the reason he's been consistent yet somehow citing stats for Names for some reason is not allowed. Again, the hypocrisy is pretty unbelievable. I love seeing a double standard like this.

Now, can we all shut the hell up about a crappy, overpaid player like Miller and discuss our crappy, reasonably term'd Names?

I brought up point production because it actually matters when valuing a contract. He can hit over 50 without Stamkos and Kucherov. Fact. Namestnikov cant. Fact. Proof is his time here without them, he still couldn't. We got a 50 point player, you guys got a 40 point player. With exceptions on players, 10pts/1million is kind of the standard. You initially made a remark at how bad the term is.

Who would turn their heads to a guy who can score over 50 points on lines he previously played on? It's not hypocrisy, your contempt is just blinding you to what me and several others are trying to get across.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad