Proposal: NYR / Tor

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Yeah keep telling yourself that , Gardiner is in most leaf trade proposals beacause of his lack of defense and contract demands. Did you hear that the Leafs are getting Karlsson, Ekman Larson,Trouba ,Carlo , Barrie, Parayko for Anderson ,Polak and a 2nd ....lol
Gardiner is in a lot of Leaf trade proposals because of Travis Dermott. There's some knee jerk reaction because of a less than stellar playoff series capped by a really bad game 7, but those who understand recency bias and sample size know he's a very good player and many still want to trade him because it looks like we have an internal replacement

Reactions: loyaltotheend

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Yeah keep telling yourself that , Gardiner is in most leaf trade proposals beacause of his lack of defense and contract demands. Did you hear that the Leafs are getting Karlsson, Ekman Larson,Trouba ,Carlo , Barrie, Parayko for Anderson ,Polak and a 2nd ....lol
This is pretty dumb, keep fighting the good fight.

Reactions: Elephanto

slg1963

Jan 23, 2015
Canada
Not sure what the contract demands have to do with his defensive shortcomings, but the two reasons that you listed are definitely true. I never said that he was some Doughty-like monster on defence but you comparing him to DeAngelo is laughable. Not even going to address whatever that last sentence is supposed to be.

Ok lets not get into a debate about anyone . The proposal was TDA or Pionk for Kappy , everyone has their opinion and i welcome yours .

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Not sure anyone should look into how Rangers players performed post deadline. Lame duck coach in a lost season. This even includes that guys who performed relatively well. Curious to see the whole team under Quinn, and it's a large part why I think most of the team is intact from last year. See these guys with your coach and go from there.

CujosMask

Nov 24, 2017
I could see why other teams would want Kappy right now.

He's right on the cusp of getting a big opportunity to be an important player for the Leafs.

Speed like that is something you just can't teach. I wouldn't trade him right now at all, especially not for some question marks.

Reactions: leafsfan2point0

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
You do a good job of making it clear that you either a) don't know who Pionk is, or b) didn't watch him play at all. He was arguably NYR's sole bright spot on D last year.

I'm not saying the Leafs are mad to pass on this trade or anything, but gets your facts straight.
Data is sparse on him. 28 games played isn't a lot and most people who aren't watching all the Ranger games would not have seen him. Will pay attention this year

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Gardiner is in a lot of Leaf trade proposals because of Travis Dermott. There's some knee jerk reaction because of a less than stellar playoff series capped by a really bad game 7, but those who understand recency bias and sample size know he's a very good player and many still want to trade him because it looks like we have an internal replacement
He is actually one of the best at defensive zone denials in the league. He gets a bad wrap because of some of his mis-timed pinches, which wouldn't be a problem if the leafs had suitable RHD that know when to cover up from behind

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
He is actually one of the best at defensive zone denials in the league. He gets a bad wrap because of some of his mis-timed pinches, which wouldn't be a problem if the leafs had suitable RHD that know when to cover up from behind
Agree, his mistakes stand out and he's high event, but his net effect is undeniably positive in a big way. I have no issue with the leafs keeping him, just seems like we can afford to lose him with Dermott emerging so we should use Gardiner's value elsewhere in the lineup by trading him

Reactions: leafsfan2point0

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
This is a bingo. I've been saying it for 3 years, and the proof is in the pudding. Rielly put up his best season when paired with Hainsey...now imagine what he could do with an actual top pair D 1st partner. Gardiner played his best last season when he had to fill in for Rielly and paired with Hainsey. I totally agree that Gards makes some bone headed blunders...but last season he was paired with Zaitsev who was nothing short of garbage. My hope is to trade for a D 1st guy who is top 4 that can hopefully move up to play with Rielly. Then drop Hainsey with Gardiner....and Z/Dermott.

Raymoondo

Leafs Cup 2021
Apr 9, 2013
Toronto
Ok lets not get into a debate about anyone . The proposal was TDA or Pionk for Kappy , everyone has their opinion and i welcome yours .
lol there wasn't even a debate. You made a dumb post and I called you out on it.

As for the trade, I would do Kapanen for Pionk but definitely not TDA.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Or if the leafs forwards covered the pinch for once in their lives instead of assuming Gardiner will keep it in every time (which he often does).

Reactions: Notsince67

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
This is a bingo. I've been saying it for 3 years, and the proof is in the pudding. Rielly put up his best season when paired with Hainsey...now imagine what he could do with an actual top pair D 1st partner. Gardiner played his best last season when he had to fill in for Rielly and paired with Hainsey. I totally agree that Gards makes some bone headed blunders...but last season he was paired with Zaitsev who was nothing short of garbage. My hope is to trade for a D 1st guy who is top 4 that can hopefully move up to play with Rielly. Then drop Hainsey with Gardiner....and Z/Dermott.

Yep, I think that this should be the goal as well. Not easy to do of course, but this is the objective.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
if Pionk keeps the same underlying stats, he is a 100% wash out in short order regardless of position - a team can't let their opponents take 58% of the shots in a game and expect to be competitive so looking at a guy who was on the ice for that sort of imbalance and seems to be one of the guys dragging his linemates down to that level by the relatives of the same metrics would be an obvious problem to fix. But like I said there could be some reasons for anomaly there, I just wouldn't be looking at his boxscores and calling him a shoe in yet

DeAngelo looks like a very decent player at this point, it's just the drama that comes with him that's concerning. I'd be worried about adding him to a room where he's a supporting cast guy and having him rub the core players the wrong way. Nothing against the player, its the person that I'd avoid until he shows he can keep out of the headlines for a while

You are not taking into consideration what the Rangers were with 28 games left in the season last year. Decimated by injuries and no leader on D. There was no supporting cast. I think Pionk is going to be fine on the third pair this season and ultimately the 2nd in the future.

ADA........meh. I do think his personality issues have been ok since coming to the Rangers. He could easily go either way.

Reactions: Monument

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
You are not taking into consideration what the Rangers were with 28 games left in the season last year. Decimated by injuries and no leader on D. There was no supporting cast. I think Pionk is going to be fine on the third pair this season and ultimately the 2nd in the future.

ADA........meh. I do think his personality issues have been ok since coming to the Rangers. He could easily go either way.
I am taking that into consideration when I say "there could be some reasons for anomaly". He can not maintain a 42%> corsi & fenwick while being a huge drag on his linemates and expect to be in the NHL, but like I noted, its too early to make a judgement on him because of the sample size and circumstances of his call up. But, that goes both ways, you can't look at his box score stats and think he's destined to be an NHL'er at all, let alone a good NHL'er, because of a good box score result in a small sample with terrible underlying numbers just like you can't disqualify him as a potential NHL'er/2nd pairing guy because of bad underlying stats in a small sample. Need to see more of him to have an indication of which way it will go

on DeAngelo, he's been fine since being in NYR, but that's not a long enough period of time to give me confidence that the attitude problems won't reoccur, it was shortly before you got him that he was making headlines for the wrong reasons. I think he was a good get for the Rangers as part of a trade to see if he can figure it out, but I'm not giving up a high floor/reasonably high ceiling asset like Kapanen to get him

slg1963

Jan 23, 2015
Canada
I am taking that into consideration when I say "there could be some reasons for anomaly". He can not maintain a 42%> corsi & fenwick while being a huge drag on his linemates and expect to be in the NHL, but like I noted, its too early to make a judgement on him because of the sample size and circumstances of his call up. But, that goes both ways, you can't look at his box score stats and think he's destined to be an NHL'er at all, let alone a good NHL'er, because of a good box score result in a small sample with terrible underlying numbers just like you can't disqualify him as a potential NHL'er/2nd pairing guy because of bad underlying stats in a small sample. Need to see more of him to have an indication of which way it will go

on DeAngelo, he's been fine since being in NYR, but that's not a long enough period of time to give me confidence that the attitude problems won't reoccur, it was shortly before you got him that he was making headlines for the wrong reasons. I think he was a good get for the Rangers as part of a trade to see if he can figure it out, but I'm not giving up a high floor/reasonably high ceiling asset like Kapanen to get him

Other than Kappy`s speed he has done nothing to show that he has a high floor / reasonably high ceiling , guess we can say the same thing about Pionk and TDA

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Other than Kappy`s speed he has done nothing to show that he has a high floor / reasonably high ceiling , guess we can say the same thing about Pionk and TDA
well, he's been very successful in heavily defensive usage in the NHL...which might suggest that he can be very successful in heavily defensive usage in the NHL, aka "high floor". His AHL track record (where he's gotten scoring line opportunity) has been well in line with what you'd expect from a top 6 winger prospect.

Pionk, on the other hand, had underlying results that are utterly unsustainable for someone who wants to be an NHL'er. If he continued to be a drag on 42% possession metrics, he's a washout in the near future. The sample is too small to know if those will hold

upload_2018-8-30_11-8-42.png

also, is it necessary to revive this thread a week after it died?

REF

Aug 30, 2005
nhlbackrooms.blogspot.com
DeAngelo or Pionk for Kapanen . Leafs looking for RD and rangers seeking RH forward , win /win
With Panarin wanting to go to NYR, perhaps a 3-way trade is more realistic?
<strong>To CBJ</strong>
W. Nylander
B. Smith
N. Lundkvist
J. Fast
G. Sparks
<strong>To TML</strong>
B. Skeji
R. Murray
M. Zuccarello
Cndtnl 1st from NYR if Mats Z. does not resign, becomes 3rd pk if he resigns
<strong>To NYR</strong>
A. Panarin
A. Clendening
E. Rasanen
1st pk CLB
Retain $1.3M of B. Smith's salary

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
<strong>To CBJ</strong>
W. Nylander
B. Smith
N. Lundkvist
J. Fast
G. Sparks
<strong>To TML</strong>
B. Skeji
R. Murray
M. Zuccarello
<strong>To NYR</strong>
A. Panarin
A. Clendening
E. Rasanen
1st pk CLB

This proposal is terrible. Terrible to try and read, and even worse once you get through the format.

Raymoondo

Leafs Cup 2021
Apr 9, 2013
Toronto
<strong>To CBJ</strong>
W. Nylander
B. Smith
N. Lundkvist
J. Fast
G. Sparks
<strong>To TML</strong>
B. Skeji
R. Murray
M. Zuccarello
<strong>To NYR</strong>
A. Panarin
A. Clendening
E. Rasanen
1st pk CLB
NYR giving up too much imo, with CBJ not giving enough

Reactions: haveandare

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
<strong>To CBJ</strong>
W. Nylander
B. Smith
N. Lundkvist
J. Fast
G. Sparks
<strong>To TML</strong>
B. Skeji
R. Murray
M. Zuccarello
<strong>To NYR</strong>