Proposal: NYR / Tor

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Well I doubt DeAngelo fits into the Leafs "culture" they're trying to build, but I wouldn't say he's terrible - I'd even learn towards him being "good".

Pionk had terrible underlying numbers (especially shot/chance generation). Might get better as he ages, especially with less of a SSS, but I don't get why we'd have to risk Kapanen for that.
It was his rookie season and he only played 28 games. Played a lot with Staal in AV’s man to man system where every dman looks bad

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Why trade for Pionk or DeAngelo when we can just wait a bit and snag Kampfer off waivers for free?

Unless were talking about a top 4 defender, then there's no reason for Toronto to make a trade for a defenceman. We can fill the bottom pairing with existing players or, at most, a waiver claim.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
It was his rookie season and he only played 28 games. Played a lot with Staal in AV’s man to man system where every dman looks bad

And I'm sure he'll end up a fine player. Just not one I'd give up Kapanen for.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
Pionk terrible? The defensively sound RHD who has 4 more points in 27 less games than Kapanen is terrible? Lmao ight
Bruh I'd make that trade just cause of his name. How many times do you have the opportunity to buy a jersey that says pionk?

Reactions: Lays

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Hard no from the Leafs. Zero need for more bottom pairing guys. We have plenty. We need to upgrade the top pair, and move people down. Obviously Kap doesn't move the needle on such a trade, but it's better for us to be patient, and draft/develop, unless a legitimate option becomes available.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
No team needs young RHD more in the NYR.

Having said that, I’d move DeAngelo for Kapanen. Pionk absolutely not.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
It's responses like this that make the Leafs fan base look silly.
Pionk was a sought after FA college star who came into a terrible situation last year and played like a top 4 defense man. Similar to Kap, he hasn't proven he can do it long term, but all signs are the kid is a good one.
I will agree with you on DeAngelo. I am not a fan.
No, it doesn't.
Everyone here is an individual. My comments reflect on me and nobody else, and it's the same for the individual poster you quoted.
Do you feel every post by your fan base accurately represents the opinions of every fan in it?

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
We could use Pionk but not at the cost of Kapanen.

Pionk would still be competing for bottom-pairing duties in training camp with Rosen/Borgman (if someone ahead of the depth chart slides over to the right), Carrick, Holl, and Ozhiganov. As of now, only 1 slot would be open with another possibly opening up next year when Hainsey's deal runs out.
Doesn't make too much sense for us.

No interest in Deangelo, not only is he not the type of player we need, but not the type of personality either.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Why trade for Pionk or DeAngelo when we can just wait a bit and snag Kampfer off waivers for free?

Unless were talking about a top 4 defender, then there's no reason for Toronto to make a trade for a defenceman. We can fill the bottom pairing with existing players or, at most, a waiver claim.
Because both are vastly superior to Kampfer. Both could be middle pairing d-men next year. Kampfer can barely pass as a 6D.

Having said that, I don't think NYR can spare either defender, though I do think Kapanen has good potential.

Last edited:

Walt22

Mar 19, 2018
Do people outside of leaf fans not realize how valuable a player like kapanen is, with his 19 points a season pace. Anyone who gets sent to the minors in place of 21st oa drafted Freddy gauthier...has to be a gem.

RoyalDuder

Dec 26, 2011
NY
I wouldn't do this if Pionk is involved. I'd rather NYR hang onto him. Showed lots of potential.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
He has top 4 upside as a puck moving dman. If everything breaks right I could see him being a good to really good 2nd pairing dman who gets 30-40 points in an average year.
doesn't sound like the right fit for Toronto regardless of current values if he's more of a puck moving offensive type, we have lots of that

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
DeAngelo and the TO media ... bwahahaha Oh god the field day they'd have with him

This would be worth it just for the lulz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad