Proposal: NYR / Tor

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
DeAngelo or Pionk for Kapanen . Leafs looking for RD and rangers seeking RH forward , win /win

DeAngelo is a massive head case and Poink is 23 years old and older then Kapanen already. Plus he doesn't really fit. He's not a top 4 guy and we want someone that would ideally push Hainsey and Zaitsev downwards...obviously Kapanen doesn't fetch that but just doesn't seem like a smart move for us.

Not the worst proposal ever though.

slg1963

Jan 23, 2015
Canada
Rangers need RD just as much if not more as a RH shot forward.

I respectfully disagree with you . We have Shatts , Pionk, DeAngelo and Kampfer as right shot dmen , at forward we only have one right handed shot playing RW and that is Jesper Fast, sure we have guys playing RW but they all shoot left .

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
DeAngelo or Pionk for Kapanen . Leafs looking for RD and rangers seeking RH forward , win /win
At this point I think the Leafs will just evaluate their own drafted RHD + recent signings at camp before they would move on something like this.

Reactions: Mork and exporta

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I respectfully disagree with you . We have Shatts , Pionk, DeAngelo and Kampfer as right shot dmen , at forward we only have one right handed shot playing RW and that is Jesper Fast, sure we have guys playing RW but they all shoot left .
They brought in guys like Meskanen and Lindqvist who are righty shots. I'm assuming those guys will get a chance to fill that role. DeAngelo and Kampfer can hardly be counted on as established D men.

Reactions: haveandare

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

DeAngelo has yet to prove that he's an every day NHL player. Same with Pionk, though he looked good at the end of last year. Kampfer is a 7th dman. Shattenkirk is our only legitimate top 4 RHD. We have quantity, but not quality, and if we trade one of them away, then we don't even have that.

Meskanen, Lindqvist and Ronning are all right handed. Let's see how they look before we make a move. If we're going to make a deal for a RH forward, it shouldn't be by trading from another area of weakness.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Poink is too unproven for this trade. He looked promising in his call up at the end of the season but that's not enough to get the leafs trading Kapanen. And DeAngelo doesn't have that value as a risk that might pay off. He needs to show he's capable of being at least a #4, or at least filling in for a top 4.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Can you do a pick for DeAngelo? Im not even talking about a draft pick. I'll take a quick pick, guitar pick, hair pick... I'd even settle for a nose pick. He's one of the worst defensive defensemen I've ever laid eyes on in 30+ years of watching. He's one dimensional, and honestly, he's not good enough at that dimension to cover for him sucking so much in all the other dimensions.

Reactions: iSophagus

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Nope. Both are terrible. We're keeping Kapanen.

Can you tell me the powerball numbers while you're at it? While DeAngelo didn't get much of an opportunity, I can see why somebody would call him terrible.

Pionk, on the other hand, hasn't had enough games to be called terrible. He played better than we expected when called up. It'll be interesting to see how he looks in a full season, or at least in a role where he's counted on and not late season throw away games. At this point, it's impossible to call him terrible without just tossing out an opinion you can't back up. It's a prediction for the sake of making one.

Reactions: bl02

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Leafs wouldn't trade for DeAngelo if it would cure cancer.

I'm not overly familiar with Pionk but I do know a lot of people I listen to/read like him.
I would hate to give up Kapanen though.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Nope. Both are terrible. We're keeping Kapanen.
It's responses like this that make the Leafs fan base look silly.
Pionk was a sought after FA college star who came into a terrible situation last year and played like a top 4 defense man. Similar to Kap, he hasn't proven he can do it long term, but all signs are the kid is a good one.
I will agree with you on DeAngelo. I am not a fan.

Reactions: Rangers_23

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
We've got bottom pairing guys and tweeners coming out of our ears, the depth is fine. We need a top4 RHD to balance out the big minutes and take the pressure off Hainsey and Zaitsev. A top pairing guy would be ideal, a middle pairing guy would be fine. Bottom pairing guys just get thrown into the log jam. Obviously Kapanen doesn't get us a top4 defenceman, but he's a roster forward this year and we're keen to see what he can do with some opportunity.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Terrible? Either you don't have a strong grasp on hockey or english is a second language.

Well I doubt DeAngelo fits into the Leafs "culture" they're trying to build, but I wouldn't say he's terrible - I'd even learn towards him being "good".

Pionk had terrible underlying numbers (especially shot/chance generation). Might get better as he ages, especially with less of a SSS, but I don't get why we'd have to risk Kapanen for that.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
If we could get Pionk for Kapanen I would be very happy. DeAngelo no.

Yeah because Leafs fans have had so much experience the past 15 years watching defenseman on their team that can actually play defense. :laugh:

Ya you're right being a fan of a team that has a good defenceman is what makes someone a good judge of talent. Very logical. Bless your heart.

LeafGm

Jan 10, 2009
The Leafs could use some help at RHD, sure, but their actual, specific need is a RHD who could step in seamlessly onto their first or second pair and be a clear improvement on what they've already got.

What they don't need is another unproven/depth RHD. They're already got a bunch of those (Justin Holl, Igor Ozhiganov, Connor Carrick, Jordan Subban), so if the choice was between trading arguably their best forward prospect for someone else's mystery box RHD or just giving the guys they've already got a shot, the choice is pretty easy.

Reactions: coupe93 and exporta

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I would pass. Neither of those 2 are ready to step into top 4, so there's no sense. I'm not saying Kap would land a top 4, but i would rather keep Kap than create a logjam on our bottom pair....and i would pass completely on DeAngelo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad